DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4X4 Crew Outdoorsman
Color: Prairie Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Jimbom is on a distinguished road
Default How to power off the radio?

I've got the 8.4AN system and I cannot find a way to power off the audio. If I simply mute it, then the next time I start the truck the radio is blaring again.

I would appreciate any advice.

Jim
Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Trim Level: Limited, 8ft bed
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:24
2014 Limited 3500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbom View Post
I've got the 8.4AN system and I cannot find a way to power off the audio. If I simply mute it, then the next time I start the truck the radio is blaring again.

I would appreciate any advice.

Jim
Radio cannot be turned off unless you turn the truck off. Do what I do, just turn down the volume before you turn the truck off and get out. The volume will be at what ever volume you had it at when you turned the truck off the next time you restart it.

The radio is not just a radio, it's also a computer that handles various duties for the operation of the truck which is the reason it's only off when the truck is not running.

Last edited by 2014 Limited 3500; 06-07-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie W/Flare
Color: Mineral Gray w/Metalic Silver Trim
jack4656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Limited 3500 View Post
Radio cannot be turned off unless you turn the truck off. Do what I do, just turn down the volume before you turn the truck off and get out. The volume will be at what ever volume you had it at when you turned the truck off the next time you restart it.

The radio is not just a radio, it's also a computer that handles various duties for the operation of the truck which is the reason it's only off when the truck is not running.
Thank you for this information! I was having the same problem from day one and was about ready to take a BMFH and put that radio out of commission PERMANINANTLY.

I had no idea it performed more functions than being just a Radio...

Why then, don't they call it something else??

BTW; WELCOME and CONGRADULATIONS on a NICE Looking RIG Jim.

____ Click HERE to see Photos of Jacks Toy.____
TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Putco Crossrail Side Bed Rails, Two (2) DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N CAI, Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners, Husky Liners Mud Guards, DashMat Ultimat Dashboard Cover, AVS Windflector, AVS Bugflector II, WeatherTech Side Window Deflector, Cabin Air Filter, DRL Mod., Putco 3rd Smoke Brake Light,

Last edited by jack4656; 06-07-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: On Order 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: QC BigHorn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
RamFishTruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4656 View Post
Thank you for this information! I was having the same problem from day one and was about ready to take a BMFH and put that radio out of commission PERMANINANTLY.

I had no idea it performed more functions than being just a Radio...

BTW; WELCOME and CONGRADULATIONS on a NICE Looking RIG Jim.

____ Click HERE to see Photos of Jacks Toy.____
TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Putco Crossrail Side Bed Rails, Two (2) DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N CAI, Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners, Husky Liners Mud Guards, DashMat Ultimat Dashboard Cover, AVS Windflector, AVS Bugflector II, WeatherTech Side Window Deflector, Cabin Air Filter, DRL Mod., Putco 3rd Smoke Brake Light,
"Why then, don't they call it something else??"

Isn't it called Uconnect? Certainly way more than a radio...pretty much like learning all the little tricks of a smart phone. Somebody from the dealership mentioned the truck has like 7 computers on it now. Crazy...
2014 Bighorn QC, Black Gold Pearl, 3.6L Pentastar, 6' 4" Box, 4WD, 3.55 Gears, Limited Slip, Air Suspension, Remote Start, Back Up Camera, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 9 Speaker Alpine Sound System, U-Connect 8.4A, Rear Defroster, Comfort group, Luxury Group
Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Thanks JW, that seems like a doable work-around. I just fooled around with it a bit and it looks like I can also select one of the (unused) media inputs and that can also serve as an "off" button.

I appreciate that it is a multi-function unit, BUT there really is no reason there can't be either a) an audio "off" soft button; b) memory that knows I selected "mute" before shutting down; or c) a brain wave detection system that knows what I want without selecting anything.

Another peeve:
Whenever I want to mute the audio, I'm in the habit of then immediately turning the volume down some so it starts out low later when I'm ready to un-mute. Doesn't work with this unit. When you then turn the volume knob down, the audio is instantly back on. That's going to be a habit that will be hard to change.

Thanks again and thanks to Jack for the compliment on my truck. Yours is sharp, too. In fact I'm hoping to put either your grill or the Limited grill on my mine.

Jim
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 850lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamFishTruck View Post
"Why then, don't they call it something else??"

Isn't it called Uconnect? Certainly way more than a radio...pretty much like learning all the little tricks of a smart phone. Somebody from the dealership mentioned the truck has like 7 computers on it now. Crazy...
It's more than 7. When mine was plugged into the diag scanner at the dealer I was looking at the screen and counted 36 networked computer modules in the system and the tech confirmed the number. There was 4 icons for modules on the screen that were not used, not sure what they were used for. My truck used almost all of them since it has every option available except the bed camera. The only reason it doesn't have the bed camera is because I have the auto dimming head lights and rain sensing wipers which are not available with the bed camera. Those modules control everything from seat memory to the ventilation fan built into the bottom of the seat, others include Climate control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, light controls and the list goes on. Most all of those modules communicate with the 8.4 screen within the control panel. It's like an iPhone, in fact the iPhone communicates with the 8.4 also using Uconnect and Bluetooth. I have started my truck and locked the doors using my iPhone and I was a mile away when I done it. All I just described goes through one of those computer modules that I had mentioned.

Last edited by 2014 Limited 3500; 06-07-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Suck it, Cheeseball!

Vehicle: '14 Ram CC 4x4 EcoD Laramie
sportsguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4656 View Post
They tried calling it HAL9000 in the early consumer tests - didn't go over well...

And I'm willing to bet if you play in the settings you'll find a "master volume" or "start volume" setting that'll let you set the volume to a desired level. Every time you start the truck, it should default to that level. Now I'm *assuming* this feature exists as it makes sense, and after rifling around the backend in our VW Beetle's system, we found the very same functionality. Nice touch.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
They tried calling it HAL9000 in the early consumer tests - didn't go over well...

And I'm willing to bet if you play in the settings you'll find a "master volume" or "start volume" setting that'll let you set the volume to a desired level. Every time you start the truck, it should default to that level. Now I'm *assuming* this feature exists as it makes sense, and after rifling around the backend in our VW Beetle's system, we found the very same functionality. Nice touch.
If anyone finds a master volume be sure to let me know. I've been through the setting many times and haven't seen anything yet.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbom View Post
... it looks like I can also select one of the (unused) media inputs and that can also serve as an "off" button.
So much for that idea. Sometimes the radio still comes back on. This fricken audio system has a mind of its own. They should have stuck with calling it the HAL9000.

Volume to zero does seem to reliably keep the radio from blaring on its own.

Jim

Last edited by Jimbom; 06-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
djhartm is on a distinguished road

There should be an audio 'off' button.

What I do is usually change the source to say, 'aux' provided I have nothing plugged in.