DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice
Default Bakem and Crackem?

Okay…. lookin for some free advice. I have a pair of perfectly good 2013 Laramie projectors just sitting in the shop waiting for me to grow a pair and crack into them. I get inspired when I see some of the work that you all have done adding HID's, Halos and some pretty sweet paintwork….. then I watch youtube videos of dudes cracking open the lenses on various types of cars and I get mixed messages and see some pretty sloppy results.

So… if you've baked a set of 4th gen ram lights please feel free to set me straight. no need for a poll… just thoughts if you want to share.

1. dewd… get off yer a$$ - it's fun -- it's easy!

2. step away from the lights….. save yourself step away from the lights

3. Hey man.. send em to me and I'll do a custom job for you and charge you whats fair.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
LoneStarHemi is on a distinguished road

subscribing......
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
Okay…. lookin for some free advice. I have a pair of perfectly good 2013 Laramie projectors just sitting in the shop waiting for me to grow a pair and crack into them. I get inspired when I see some of the work that you all have done adding HID's, Halos and some pretty sweet paintwork….. then I watch youtube videos of dudes cracking open the lenses on various types of cars and I get mixed messages and see some pretty sloppy results.

So… if you've baked a set of 4th gen ram lights please feel free to set me straight. no need for a poll… just thoughts if you want to share.

1. dewd… get off yer a$$ - it's fun -- it's easy!

2. step away from the lights….. save yourself step away from the lights

3. Hey man.. send em to me and I'll do a custom job for you and charge you whats fair.
see how they stare at me….. taunting me …..
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
MoldyTaco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know how you feel, I had an extra set looking at me too (mine are 3rd Gen so it looks like 4 eyes) until I put them in a box.

I have had them for 6 months now and still haven't got the courage to open them up yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
SShadow1974 has a spectacular aura aboutSShadow1974 has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to do mine, but I'd want to do it on a spare set first. So, my suggestion... Go to a junk yard and see if you can get a set of headlights - cheap. Then try your skills on the shitty ones first. Once you hone your skills on two, then your next two should be much better.
That's what I would do... What I will do sometime in the next couple of years. I'm really in no rush at the moment and even cheap headlights are out of my price range at the moment.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Black Clear Coat
Rep:65
cjgerson will become famous soon enough

Ok so I did this to my Chrome Projector head lights recently. They are a bit of a pain in the arse to get them open, or atleast mine were. Took about 45 mins per headlight of baking, prying, rebaking, prying some more, hitting with the head gun and then they finally opened. I did not damage the lights what so ever, however the housing gets a little misshaped it can be easily fixed with the use of heat gun and pliers. I recommend removing all the old stock hard, dry butyl tape and purchasing a new roll to seal them back up. A roll can be purchased here for $15: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...bber-glue.html

I disassembled mine and painted them PX8 black and clear coat, which can be painted purchased here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...paint/buypaint

I installed Halos from aacstyle: http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...LEHaloKit.aspx

For the Halos make sure you buy a voltage regulator as these products tend to fail if there are any voltage spikes above 14V, which is almost 100% guaranteed to happen with our trucks. Let me know if you have any questions at all. Here are a couple photos of my finished project

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg
RetraxOne Tonneau cover, DeeZee tailgate assist, Line-X premium bed liner, Bed Rug Bed Mat, Freedom Tailgate seal, Cabin Air filter, aFe Magnum FORCE Air Intake System, Muffllex DOD18M, AVS Aeroskin Hood Shield, Craven Stubby Antenna, Tinted Windows, AVS In-Channel Vent-visors, AMP Research Black Bed Xtender HD, Hypertech Interceptor, E&G Classics - Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille insert , Lamin-X 3rd brake and fog lights, E&G Classics Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille Insert
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

That is some detailed and welcome information... I do appreciate it!

I really think this has the potential to be a fun project (They are all a bit frustrating right??) I visitied all of the links you provided- another great help. I may need to message you about any wiring issues that might pop up. I will contact retro and start making some moves in the forward direction.
Any other experts out there are welcome to chime in.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Rep:117
Ranman will become famous soon enoughRanman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ok one of them is winking at you! are you going to sit there and take it? Show em whose boss! Bake them some bitches and git r dun!

MODS: Front window tint to match rear, Extang tri fold soft tonneau cover. Dee Zee running boards. Tinted tails and 3rd brake light. Blacked emblem and de-badged. Drop in K&N filter. 2.5 inch Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. Cabin air filter. Upper glove box. Magnaflow exhaust. Black bull bar with 20" Cree LED bar. Mickey Thompson 35x12.5x20 MTZ's
Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

I have no experience in taking apart headlights. But its been something I've wanted to do to mine, but you cant do much to the second gen lights. Just one big open box haha.

So I say go for it!
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 06-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Bighorn
Trim Level: Bighorn. SLT
Rep:19
draken is on a distinguished road

I had no experience taking apart my headlights but i ended up doing it with my last truck. I had a 07 ram and put Halos along with morimoto mini projectors in it. Let me tell you this project will get on your nerves but it is worth it in the end. I did it with only one pair of headlights so its good that you have a spare. Just the main thing is make sure you get a good SEAL and don't deform the housings from getting frustrated and wanting to pry them apart haha.

End product
Zone 6" Suspension with 5" rear, Bilstein 5100s, Toyo M/T 315/70/18, 18x10 MotoMetal 967s, Flowmaster 10 series, Diablo Trinity With Hemifever Tune, Drop in K&N Filter, HID 6000k Fogs, Metal Tonneau Cover, Plastidipped Bumpers and Grille