DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Aksium is on a distinguished road
Default painting badges question

I have a blue ram. I am getting some color match paint soon to repair a spot that got dinged. Anyway I ordered a larger can and was thinking of spraying the chrome part of the front ram head blue to match the truck then the back one I want to do the background blue and paint ram head black. Also I debadged except for the hemi badges I wanted to paint the black lettering blue and the chrome black my question is what would be the easiest way to go about this just very careful taping or is there a secret? Also plan to plastidip bumpers and rockers as well as grill to see if I like the look, then might try to trade someone for the ST grill and bumpers.

Sorry long post
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:10
dizzle is on a distinguished road

if your planning on painting the badges vs. plastidipping them then just make sure you did a ton of masking,

the front ram badge is easy to remove also, if you pull off the plastic shroud that covers the rad (few push clips) you can look on the inside of the grill and notice the badge is held on with little plastic tabs (easy to remove with a flat screw driver) but since your painting it one colour its easy enough to just use a bunch of masking tape to mask off the entire area around what your trying to paint. over spray is a big ol' b**ch.

the rear ram head might require a bit more finesse as its not so easily removed from the truck,
again just have to mask mask mask! the job is all in the prep, more time to prep and ensure you have everything in the area masked off will make for a much better finished product. same would apply to the hemi badges, since your getting a bit more detailed then it will require more masking time.

all in all, its a very simply job, just need some good quality painters tape and a bunch of newspaper. a nice cold case of beers would also stream-line the process lol

i plastipdipped the chrome grill fins, and as i said above its super simple if you take the time to mask everything properly.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

There is no best way to do it… For me… I'd say pull the badges before painting. The front badge comes off with very little work and will also separate into two pieces making the job of two color painting a breeze.
Note.. there is a small piece of 3M tape behind the front badge so it hangs on even when you have loosened all of the little tabs- just ease some fishing line between the badge and grille to loosen the last little bit. The rear badge has locating pins that need attention- once off- you can asses your options and take any approach you want.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Rep:18
Aksium is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies i hope to attempt this soon taping around the letters is gonna be a pita but I think end result will look great