DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:42
RayK is on a distinguished road

An Minnesota is the first state to mandate B10 diesel. That just started up. I've heard good and bad about bio diesel, guess I'll see. Haven't towed yet, but expecting great things from the CTD. First RAM truck and I'm totally impressed so far.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Carfreak 7186 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help guys. As far as altitude is concerned, not an issue, I live just outside Toronto. I didn't mean to talk down about Ram trucks, I like my truck, I just felt it would have done a better job towing. I guess my biggest complaint is the lack of throttle response, and I don't think the torque this engine produces is being made available. My 2004 Ram 1500 towed just as well, and that truck was down a lot of power from the 2013 I drive now. Just my 2 cents..
Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfreak 7186 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. As far as altitude is concerned, not an issue, I live just outside Toronto. I didn't mean to talk down about Ram trucks, I like my truck, I just felt it would have done a better job towing. I guess my biggest complaint is the lack of throttle response, and I don't think the torque this engine produces is being made available. My 2004 Ram 1500 towed just as well, and that truck was down a lot of power from the 2013 I drive now. Just my 2 cents..
May sound silly, but what grade gas do you use and what company (esso, pioneer, petro canada). I have been monitoring engine knocks with different grades gas from different dealerships. Also the fuel milage difference between these gas levels doing almost identical drives.

I was able to adjust my throttle response with my 08 witj my trinity. I can chirp my 35" toyo m/t with 3.55 gears. I dont know if the 4th gens have alot more torque management restrictions. Beleive it can be turned off with a trinity.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: White and black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:34
preachp is on a distinguished road

Hi Canadian Hemi Pride,

" I dont know if the 4th gens have alot more torque management restrictions."

Yeah they do. It works but it doesn't work. Tow/haul on a 13 will disable MDS and does significantly improve the shift and power application but the nannies are still clearly evident. Tuner might work but buyer beware mopar is not real friendly to the idea of changing their tuning and there have been many a complaint of Mopar voiding warranties because they found tuner stuff in the control modules.
Sucks but it is what it is.

preachp
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MODS: Kenwood DNX570 HD, Jeraco Hirise cap, black 4" nerf bars, Ultra Baron wheels, BFG Rugged Terrain A/T tires, Spyder smoke headlights and red smoke LED taillights, Bumble Beast stripe.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Red
Rep:10
venom108 is on a distinguished road

Red-Stripe....get a life buddy(this is the second time you've been a d-bag to me with no other input than snide comments). I've got a 14" magnaflo. Opening up the intake and exhaust will help with throttle response but probably not hp.

Last edited by venom108; 07-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachp View Post
Hi Canadian Hemi Pride,

" I dont know if the 4th gens have alot more torque management restrictions."

Yeah they do. It works but it doesn't work. Tow/haul on a 13 will disable MDS and does significantly improve the shift and power application but the nannies are still clearly evident. Tuner might work but buyer beware mopar is not real friendly to the idea of changing their tuning and there have been many a complaint of Mopar voiding warranties because they found tuner stuff in the control modules.
Sucks but it is what it is.

preachp
ALL new cars and trucks have heavy handed traction control/torque management. Even turning it off on the dash wont disable completely.

You want to see a mess, get a positraction pickup without a lot of tongue weight going around a corner with a trailer and no traction control and the driver gives it too much throttle - instantly join the ditch club.

You can tune it out of course, but have some engine/driveline problems and car companies are looking pretty close at the computers these days. Its not just Mopar, GM with Corvettes, Camaros and diesel trucks, Ford with the Mustangs, they even have a detailed guide showing techs how to find signs of blowers, nitrous, headers and other mods, plus no new engine unless the tech verifies the ECM has not been tuned or recently put back stock/reset.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram crew cab Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/laramie
Color: Black beauty
Rep:43
RAMinator13 is on a distinguished road

My 13 with 3.55 and 6spd pulls fine
2013 RAM CC Sport 4x4 - 6spd 3.55 Anti-spin diff. MODS: 35x12.5r20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ - Rough Country Level 2.5 front & 1.5 rear - Airaid MXP Cold Air - Magnaflow Magnapack 4x14 & Magnaflow True Flow Y pipe mod- 20x9 Ballistic Razorbacks
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I will agree the 3.55's I had in my 13 4x4 hemi crew cab towed my trailer OK with it in tow mode with the 6spd. Got horrible mileage and felt sluggish probably due to the torque management as well. The gears do make a difference though. I had a 09 hemi crew with the 3.92's and a 5spd and the had the MDS off with no tune and never used the tow mode and got much better mileage. Since I tow occasionally when I got rid of my 13 crew for a 14 reg cab I didn't care about the 8spd but I did make sure I got one with 3.92's again. Went back to towing without the tow mode and just shift it to 6 so it keeps the MDS off and back to getting good mileage again. I found the 3.55's to sluggish for my taste. But also I am used to driving a nodded LS1 Trans Am with 3.73's and a stall. I will say the 8spd is better I drove my friends one day and it was much better than my 6spd with 3.55's but I am fine with my old style 6spd and 3.92's. They got the job done in my 09 and and even with the newer tq management my 14 isn't bad. Next up is a tuner to help out with putting a little more of the motors power to the wheels without so much computer intrusion.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
sunshdw will become famous soon enough

I guess I'll through my .02 in since I just got back from a long 4th of July with my trailer (see sig pic)
The main thing that bugs me when I'm towing is that the max torque and HP is so hi in the revs that while driving 60-65 my truck won't shift to 5th gear unless there's any form of a decline. I'm happy my truck does the job and pulls my trailer where I need it to go but I'm kind of disappointed in where the power band is, I've referred to having to "on the pipe" in order to gain any speed or god forbid go up a hill. Horseshoe Bend hill is about a 6-8% grade and about 4 - 5 miles long and I'm in 3rd gear at 3500rpm at 50mph and watching all my temps rise to the moon.
Again, I do really like my truck and it's fun to drive unloaded, however I think the hemi (given it's pedigree) is more of a racing motor vs. a towing motor.

Oh yeah, I have 3.92s and use the tow/haul mode with the mods in my sig

JJ
2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
2013 Nash 23D RV
2003 600RR Race Bike
K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Diablo W/WL tuning, CC
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:16
Philpaint is on a distinguished road

Truck tows beautifully!!! So power full!!!
But I too have a problem with throttle response, but only when towing. You need to press the pedal so much to make a change that it downshift a gear. When I climb a steep hill, a just want to give it some gas so that I stay at the same speed, but I need to press the pascal so much that it downshift a gear and accelerate through the hill!!! I did 2 MPG this way going uphill lol