DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 6.4-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 410 horsepower, 429 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:12
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo2track View Post
I have only 840 miles on my 6.4. 4.10 rear end. Too early to tell what the overall average is going to end up. I see you have a 2009 1500 and I can tell you that unless all your trips are longer, steady-state, your not going to see 15.5 avg with a 2500 HD truck. Your going to be disappointed if you expect 1500 mpg out of a 2500 gasser, but your going to be doubling your payload. If you don't need 3000# of payload and are happy with what your 1500 provides, stay with a 1500. The 6.4 is not available in the 1500 platform.

I'm averaging 13 with mine right now. I traded a 2013 3500 6.7 CTD and it was averaging 15 in the summer, 13 in the winter. I'm pleased so far with the mpg with so little mileage on the truck. This 6.4 will get better mileage than the 5.7 in the 2500/3500 platform. I was only seeing 11 with the 2013 CTD pulling my 6500# travel trailer and that was at 65 mph, but the towing power was effortless. I got 9 towing with the 6.4L on a recent trip. Take a look at the 6.4L forum section here. Good reports there and guys are seeing some fantastic unloaded hwy mileage with the 3.73 rear end for a 2500 gasser. I only wanted 4.10's for the gearing advantage and the hills in my area.

Good Luck with your decision!
Thanks for the info. As a heavy equipment operator I never wanted a diesel pickup because once you figure the $8,000 option and the extra cost of fuel and maintenance a guy really needs to pull a lot of load most of the time to come out. Just my personal choice. I really had reservations on the 6.4L road test done by trailer life but if they really only saw 11 MPG empty they must have been doing all city driving. I will definitely go with the 6.4 now that you and others have given me good info. to go with.
thanks again.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4L&4.10's
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Silver
Rep:19
wyo2track is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Nice honest reply and good info. I am curious, why did you trade your CTD in for the 6.4L Hemi flavor? I ask because I am on the fence myself. My 5.7L does a nice job towing our TT, but I am regretting not getting a Mega cab and thinking of trading. Since I will end up with a 2500 or 3500 Mega Cab, I was thinking since I do tow regularly and living and travelling in the moutainous west, the CTD would be the way to go, but the 6.4L Hemi has it's appeal as well, so I am back and forth.
Haha..I could make this quite complicated. Try to keep it short, though I'm a little long winded most the time. I sold a 2001 5.9L CTD QCLB, that I bought new, to get the 2013. Just outgrew the QC with the family and was tired of the diesel stink, especially in the winter. The 2001 was quite a nimble truck for a diesel. Pulled everything and went everywhere I ever needed to go, didn't mind short trips, and could be idled for hours. I was quite surprised how much change there was with the 2013 after putting 7200 miles on it. These new RAM HD diesel trucks are designed with 2 things in mind, payload and towing on the road. They are AMAZING machines! Off road, they were definetly not as nimble. The ride was smooth for a 3500 truck on pavement but above 68 mph, the stiff rear suspension would fight with the road and cause very annoying vibrations. My bad for getting a CC SB 3500, knew it would be stiff, but the vibrations and rough dirt road performance was not what I anticipated. The diesel technology is amazing...and complicated. I keep my trucks for a while, and decided that I didn't want to keep the truck without having a warranty...I don't make money with the truck...it takes money from me. There to damn expensive a month not to fully enjoy what they offer. Best to be happy, then to fork over thousands a year and keep complaining about things something does or doesn't have.

Lots of dirt roads in our mountain area and I'm mostly driving unloaded. The 2500 6.4 is a very fun truck to drive and nimble without the heavy weight of the 6.7. I like the way a 2500 truck handles our bumper pull camper & horse trailer, and I need it for a gooseneck horse trailer we use. I drove a 6.4L prior to buying the 2013 CTD. I thought it was good, but, just wasn't sure...you know...brand new engine and it was a gasser. Got a good deal on the CTD, so I jumped...might as well give it a try. It finally started getting good mileage when straight No. 2 diesel became available, but that is for only 6 months of the year around here. Blended diesel and short trips just wasn't what the new 6.7 CTD likes. Only 10.5 mpg pulling my 2 place snowmobile trailer with sleds...maybe 3500# total. I wasn't to impressed. Just not going to avoid the crappy blended fuel in the winter. I'm much better off with a gasser during the winter months and I'm only towing heavier during the warmer months, which are short trips (50-80 miles).

I went and test drove another 2500 6.4 after having the 6.7 for 6 months. There was the torque difference, but the ride was fantastic. This 4.10 geared truck actually has better takeoff than the 2013 CTD did because of all the computer nannies they put on the CTD to control emissions on fuel delivery. We are in snow country. There were multiple times when I had to get off the road, turn around or something. That dang heavy 6.7 with the nannies was hard to get going when you needed power on demand. Acted just like a dead pedal for 2-3 seconds, then suddenly this firehose feeling of torque would arrive, but you're either already stuck or blasting out of there ripping the hell out of things. Drove me crazy.

For best economy the 6.7 loved speeds of 55 to 65 and going downhill. The 3.42 gearing had alot to do with that. On a shallow uphill grade west of Town, at 65 mph this 6.4L is within 1 mpg on the EVIC where the 6.7 CTD would be. Going the other way, within 2-3. My engine still has less than 1000 miles, should get a little better. I'm guessing I'll be within 1.5 to 2 mpg of where the 6.7L was.

If your going to be doing alot of traveling in the mountains, living out of your RV from location to location, and putting alot of towing miles on your vehicle, get the CTD! It pulls trailers effortlessly! But if your like me, with alot of short towing trips during a small window of the year, the 6.4L is a good option. It really fulfills my needs better. If you WANT a 6.7 CTD, well then...that is everyones own choice to make. Happy towing!!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
Thanks for the info. As a heavy equipment operator I never wanted a diesel pickup because once you figure the $8,000 option and the extra cost of fuel and maintenance a guy really needs to pull a lot of load most of the time to come out. Just my personal choice. I really had reservations on the 6.4L road test done by trailer life but if they really only saw 11 MPG empty they must have been doing all city driving. I will definitely go with the 6.4 now that you and others have given me good info. to go with.
thanks again.
Good luck shopping! The 6.4L really can get some good fuel mileage if you can keep the 410 horses in the corral most the time. It is fun to open the gate and let them run too.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Big Horn 3500 Cummins TD
Rep:2559
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo2track View Post
Haha..I could make this quite complicated. Try to keep it short, though I'm a little long winded most the time. I sold a 2001 5.9L CTD QCLB, that I bought new, to get the 2013. Just outgrew the QC with the family and was tired of the diesel stink, especially in the winter. The 2001 was quite a nimble truck for a diesel. Pulled everything and went everywhere I ever needed to go, didn't mind short trips, and could be idled for hours. I was quite surprised how much change there was with the 2013 after putting 7200 miles on it. These new RAM HD diesel trucks are designed with 2 things in mind, payload and towing on the road. They are AMAZING machines! Off road, they were definetly not as nimble. The ride was smooth for a 3500 truck on pavement but above 68 mph, the stiff rear suspension would fight with the road and cause very annoying vibrations. My bad for getting a CC SB 3500, knew it would be stiff, but the vibrations and rough dirt road performance was not what I anticipated. The diesel technology is amazing...and complicated. I keep my trucks for a while, and decided that I didn't want to keep the truck without having a warranty...I don't make money with the truck...it takes money from me. There to damn expensive a month not to fully enjoy what they offer. Best to be happy, then to fork over thousands a year and keep complaining about things something does or doesn't have.

Lots of dirt roads in our mountain area and I'm mostly driving unloaded. The 2500 6.4 is a very fun truck to drive and nimble without the heavy weight of the 6.7. I like the way a 2500 truck handles our bumper pull camper & horse trailer, and I need it for a gooseneck horse trailer we use. I drove a 6.4L prior to buying the 2013 CTD. I thought it was good, but, just wasn't sure...you know...brand new engine and it was a gasser. Got a good deal on the CTD, so I jumped...might as well give it a try. It finally started getting good mileage when straight No. 2 diesel became available, but that is for only 6 months of the year around here. Blended diesel and short trips just wasn't what the new 6.7 CTD likes. Only 10.5 mpg pulling my 2 place snowmobile trailer with sleds...maybe 3500# total. I wasn't to impressed. Just not going to avoid the crappy blended fuel in the winter. I'm much better off with a gasser during the winter months and I'm only towing heavier during the warmer months, which are short trips (50-80 miles).

I went and test drove another 2500 6.4 after having the 6.7 for 6 months. There was the torque difference, but the ride was fantastic. This 4.10 geared truck actually has better takeoff than the 2013 CTD did because of all the computer nannies they put on the CTD to control emissions on fuel delivery. We are in snow country. There were multiple times when I had to get off the road, turn around or something. That dang heavy 6.7 with the nannies was hard to get going when you needed power on demand. Acted just like a dead pedal for 2-3 seconds, then suddenly this firehose feeling of torque would arrive, but you're either already stuck or blasting out of there ripping the hell out of things. Drove me crazy.

For best economy the 6.7 loved speeds of 55 to 65 and going downhill. The 3.42 gearing had alot to do with that. On a shallow uphill grade west of Town, at 65 mph this 6.4L is within 1 mpg on the EVIC where the 6.7 CTD would be. Going the other way, within 2-3. My engine still has less than 1000 miles, should get a little better. I'm guessing I'll be within 1.5 to 2 mpg of where the 6.7L was.

If your going to be doing alot of traveling in the mountains, living out of your RV from location to location, and putting alot of towing miles on your vehicle, get the CTD! It pulls trailers effortlessly! But if your like me, with alot of short towing trips during a small window of the year, the 6.4L is a good option. It really fulfills my needs better. If you WANT a 6.7 CTD, well then...that is everyones own choice to make. Happy towing!!
A helpful reply, sounds like I do not do enough towing to justify the steeper costs associated with a diesel.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 15 Laramie CC Ecodiesel 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:18
DustinT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
I hope it will end up closer to the 15.5 once it is broken in. This is the problem I am having with the new hemi. Trailer life did a test with the new truck and reported just 11 MPG solo and 8.? towing only 7000 Lbs. My 2009 5.7 averages 9.3 MPG towing 7200 Lbs. with 1000 Lbs. in the bed. I was hoping to upgrade to the new 2014 but am having reservations on which hemi to purchase.
My Ecodiesel will tow that really smoothly and deliver 14-16 MPG will doing it. You'll see 23-28 the rest of the time. Buy the diesel and you won't regret it.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Location: El Paso, TX via Centereach, NY, Vieques, PR, and San Antonio, TX
Vehicle: 2014 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Bright White Clear Coat
Rep:71
Rec 26 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Rec 26 Send a message via MSN to Rec 26 Send a message via Yahoo to Rec 26

The numbers that I am getting with the 392 HEMI in my 3500 Dually is pretty much the same as in my LX SRT... 14-16 mpg in the street and 18-20 mpg on the highway.

Of course, that's me not towing. I still haven't towed anything with her yet. Still in the market for a gooseneck trailer.

2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab "SRT Hauler Mark I" (traded in)
2014 RAM 3500 Tradesman Crew Cab "SRT Hauler Mark III"
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec 26 View Post
The numbers that I am getting with the 392 HEMI in my 3500 Dually is pretty much the same as in my LX SRT... 14-16 mpg in the street and 18-20 mpg on the highway.

Of course, that's me not towing. I still haven't towed anything with her yet. Still in the market for a gooseneck trailer.
I'd say those numbers are especially good for a 3500 dually.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Crew 8', 2500, 6.4L 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: dark red
Rep:17
JerryparmerRam is on a distinguished road

My 6.4 2500 CC long bed now has over 14,000 miles. I just put in a K&N filter and it seems to be doing a little better. No trailer: 14.5 mpg. With my 13,000 pound (empty) 5th wheel I am getting around 11-12.5 on Colorado highways, 6 mpg in the steep hill country. Now, this is some pretty steep grades that have a 35-45 speed limit, with lots of curves. Can't get up to speed so it has to run in 1st or 2nd gear.

Why get the 6.4?
1. Cheaper to buy
2. Cheaper to register
3. Cheaper to insure
4. Average 60 cents per gallon less for gas
5. Cheaper to maintain
6. Better mileage when running empty
7. Gas doesn't have the $1000 mandatory emissions service at 70,000 miles
8. Faster starts in traffic
9. Makes more sense unless pulling heavy loads over 40% of the time

I'm not a diesel hater. Have had 5 since 2001. Second Hemi in a 2500, first 6.4L. Loving it every time I drive it.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryparmerRam View Post
My 6.4 2500 CC long bed now has over 14,000 miles. I just put in a K&N filter and it seems to be doing a little better. No trailer: 14.5 mpg. With my 13,000 pound (empty) 5th wheel I am getting around 11-12.5 on Colorado highways, 6 mpg in the steep hill country. Now, this is some pretty steep grades that have a 35-45 speed limit, with lots of curves. Can't get up to speed so it has to run in 1st or 2nd gear.

Why get the 6.4?
1. Cheaper to buy
2. Cheaper to register
3. Cheaper to insure
4. Average 60 cents per gallon less for gas
5. Cheaper to maintain
6. Better mileage when running empty
7. Gas doesn't have the $1000 mandatory emissions service at 70,000 miles
8. Faster starts in traffic
9. Makes more sense unless pulling heavy loads over 40% of the time

I'm not a diesel hater. Have had 5 since 2001. Second Hemi in a 2500, first 6.4L. Loving it every time I drive it.
You make a compelling case, excellent points made.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryparmerRam View Post

That is some good info! Thanks for sharing. What speeds you pulling that 13K trailer at? That is some excellent mileage! I pulled our square faced 7000# TT home yesterday in a quartering head-on 15-20 mph wyoming wind. I set the cruise at 65 and the 6.4 stayed in 4th the whole time. The EVIC stayed around 8 & 9 on the way. I find tow/haul very aggressive and believe it doesn't know what 3rd gear is. Jumps from 4th to 2nd. I'm kinda finding out that to use 3rd when pulling, just put in in manual mode and anticipate the shift when needed. What are you finding pulling 13K? Also, how many miles did you put on your 6.4L before it felt like it was broke-in or has there not been any change? I've read the reports, owners seem to say it gets better with mileage.

Last edited by wyo2track; 07-07-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added question