DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 6.4-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 410 horsepower, 429 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:12
tweener439 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryparmerRam View Post
My 6.4 2500 CC long bed now has over 14,000 miles. I just put in a K&N filter and it seems to be doing a little better. No trailer: 14.5 mpg. With my 13,000 pound (empty) 5th wheel I am getting around 11-12.5 on Colorado highways, 6 mpg in the steep hill country. Now, this is some pretty steep grades that have a 35-45 speed limit, with lots of curves. Can't get up to speed so it has to run in 1st or 2nd gear.

Why get the 6.4?
1. Cheaper to buy
2. Cheaper to register
3. Cheaper to insure
4. Average 60 cents per gallon less for gas
5. Cheaper to maintain
6. Better mileage when running empty
7. Gas doesn't have the $1000 mandatory emissions service at 70,000 miles
8. Faster starts in traffic
9. Makes more sense unless pulling heavy loads over 40% of the time

I'm not a diesel hater. Have had 5 since 2001. Second Hemi in a 2500, first 6.4L. Loving it every time I drive it.
10. And the payload over an Eco-Diesel is significant, I don't tow too many really heavy trailers but I do haul firewood and you just can't load a 1/2 ton down and then pull a trailer with it.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Crew 8', 2500, 6.4L 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: dark red
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:17
JerryparmerRam is on a distinguished road

Good feedback. I pull my trailer at the posted speed limit every time I can, unless doing so becomes dangerous, like in twisty mountain roads. It runs in 3rd and 4th most of the time, but occasionally it will jump to 5th if level ground. It feels like it is having an easier time the faster I go. I bet it would pull it at 85 or 90, but my heart probably wouldn't take that kind of speed.

If there are a lot of hills, or steep hills the mileage does go down some. Really steep hills and I get into single digits, but the return trip averages it back up again.

I haven't noticed a big shift in power or mileage at any certain miles, unlike my diesels did at certain miles. It is feeling more frisky when running empty though. It feels like it gained a little power when I put in the K&N filter, but I haven't had it in for 100 miles yet so hard to tell.

Taking a short trip this weekend and I remember how it felt and the MPG on the last trip to the same location, so I may have a better feel after this trip. Although, the warmer weather could effect my impressions.

What I notice most is the 6.4 feels like it is pulling strong with full power throughout the rpm range. My 5.7 had a definite power (feel) difference depending on the rpm's I was running. The torque curve feels flat, a very good thing, with the 6.4L.

I run empty (except for tools, etc) probably 80-90% of the time. I probably carry 700-1000# in the bed at all times, even when pulling my 5th. I also drive a lot of miles every day. My mileage when I parked tonight was 14,549, and that is since March 10th. When I pull my trailer, I want power and at least some decent mpg. I feel I get it with this truck. It also handles my 13,000# 5th wheel with ease, and sits almost level, depending on if my holding tanks are full or empty. I have a 16' construction trailer that usually weighs in about 7-8000# when loaded and I forget it is there, that is how easy it pulls it.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4L&4.10's
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Silver
Rep:19
wyo2track is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I run empty (except for tools, etc) probably 80-90% of the time. I probably carry 700-1000# in the bed at all times, even when pulling my 5th. I also drive a lot of miles every day. My mileage when I parked tonight was 14,549, and that is since March 10th. When I pull my trailer, I want power and at least some decent mpg. I feel I get it with this truck. It also handles my 13,000# 5th wheel with ease, and sits almost level, depending on if my holding tanks are full or empty. I have a 16' construction trailer that usually weighs in about 7-8000# when loaded and I forget it is there, that is how easy it pulls it.
Great stuff!! I appreciate the 'whole hog leg' response. Love reading a post with some meat on its bones. I live at 7200 feet. Gotta drive nearly 100 miles in 3 directions just to drop 1000'. Maybe in the next few months I'll be able to feel what this 6.4L really has to offer at elevations of 3500 and lower. Very pleased so far. Thanks for the posts!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good feedback. I pull my trailer at the posted speed limit every time I can, unless doing so becomes dangerous, like in twisty mountain roads. It runs in 3rd and 4th most of the time, but occasionally it will jump to 5th if level ground. It feels like it is having an easier time the faster I go. I bet it would pull it at 85 or 90, but my heart probably wouldn't take that kind of speed.

If there are a lot of hills, or steep hills the mileage does go down some. Really steep hills and I get into single digits, but the return trip averages it back up again.

I haven't noticed a big shift in power or mileage at any certain miles, unlike my diesels did at certain miles. It is feeling more frisky when running empty though. It feels like it gained a little power when I put in the K&N filter, but I haven't had it in for 100 miles yet so hard to tell.

Taking a short trip this weekend and I remember how it felt and the MPG on the last trip to the same location, so I may have a better feel after this trip. Although, the warmer weather could effect my impressions.

What I notice most is the 6.4 feels like it is pulling strong with full power throughout the rpm range. My 5.7 had a definite power (feel) difference depending on the rpm's I was running. The torque curve feels flat, a very good thing, with the 6.4L.

Very nice report of your experience with your truck and helpful to me who is on the fence. My truck handles my towing needs, a 28' approx 7K loaded TT well, but I have regretted not getting a 2500 or 3500 Mega Cab and considering biting the bullet. I am on the fence between the 6.4L or a diesel.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Crew 8', 2500, 6.4L 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: dark red
JerryparmerRam is on a distinguished road

I would have considered a Mega Cab if I could have ordered it from the factory with an 8' bed. I need the bed space for work. I know there are some excellent aftermarket companies that can put the 8' bed and it stays under full warranty, except for the driveshaft. But, that is another 8-10K that I can't afford.

I have had 1500's, 2500's, & 3500's. If your 28' TT is the heaviest you pull don't spend the extra for the 3500. Way too much truck for your needs. More expensive to insure and license.

How often do you tow? Diesel is nice, but a big expense if you don't tow at least 40% of the time. I have been a diesel guy since 2001, except for about 4 years, then when the 6.4 came out I bit the bullet again. I do not regret it in the least. I also go through trucks pretty fast, so the extra expense never pays off for me. I actually think I may keep this one longer. I'm averaging over a little over 3750 miles per month, so I get a lot of use out of my trucks. I can't seem to wear out a Ram, but I get the new truck fever a little too fast to suit my wife.

If something happened to my current truck with the 6.4 I would order an identical truck tomorrow. The only thing I would change is the gear ration to a 4:10, and would add the air suspension in the rear. nothing else. Same color, same options, everything. Even if they offered me a diesel for the same price I would stay with the 6.4

When I ordered my 2014 6.4 they tried to get me to take a leftover 2013 3500 Limited with the diesel for the same price. It was a $69,000+ truck. I said no, I want what I want and nothing more or less. I do not regret my decision in the least.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.4L&4.10's
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Silver
Rep:19
wyo2track is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have had 1500's, 2500's, & 3500's. If your 28' TT is the heaviest you pull don't spend the extra for the 3500. Way too much truck for your needs. More expensive to insure and license.
I'll vouch for that 3500 theory. I was always told go with a 3500 just to get that extra bit of payload. But these new frames RAM is putting under the 2013+ 3500's and 2014+ 2500's are more beefier than ever. I watched a lot of the RAM marketing info saying RAM 2500 trucks are comparable to their competition's 3500 trucks and their 3500 trucks comparable to the competitions 4500. After owing a 2013 3500 I believe it, it was stiff. It was a SRW CC SB and had a payload of 4440 lbs. That one extra leaf, the stiffer front spring, and the new frame made it a payload monster. It really needed a 5000+lb trailer behind it all the time.

With the 6.4L, I don't know if I would look at a 3500 just because the engine is not as heavy up front. I would think that bumps would be harsher with the 6.4L up front over the 6.7 just because there is not the extra weight, compressing the spring and softening the blow.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would have considered a Mega Cab if I could have ordered it from the factory with an 8' bed. I need the bed space for work. I know there are some excellent aftermarket companies that can put the 8' bed and it stays under full warranty, except for the driveshaft. But, that is another 8-10K that I can't afford.

How often do you tow? Diesel is nice, but a big expense if you don't tow at least 40% of the time. I have been a diesel guy since 2001, except for about 4 years, then when the 6.4 came out I bit the bullet again. I do not regret it in the least. I also go through trucks pretty fast, so the extra expense never pays off for me. I actually think I may keep this one longer. I'm averaging over a little over 3750 miles per month, so I get a lot of use out of my trucks. I can't seem to wear out a Ram, but I get the new truck fever a little too fast to suit my wife.

If something happened to my current truck with the 6.4 I would order an identical truck tomorrow. The only thing I would change is the gear ration to a 4:10, and would add the air suspension in the rear. nothing else. Same color, same options, everything. Even if they offered me a diesel for the same price I would stay with the 6.4

When I ordered my 2014 6.4 they tried to get me to take a leftover 2013 3500 Limited with the diesel for the same price. It was a $69,000+ truck. I said no, I want what I want and nothing more or less. I do not regret my decision in the least.
We are only towing once to twice a month on weekends and as much as 2 week plus trips per year, so definitely not towing 40%. Good to know the registration and license is more expensive on a 3500, will definitely play into my considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo2track View Post
I'll vouch for that 3500 theory. I was always told go with a 3500 just to get that extra bit of payload. But these new frames RAM is putting under the 2013+ 3500's and 2014+ 2500's are more beefier than ever. I watched a lot of the RAM marketing info saying RAM 2500 trucks are comparable to their competition's 3500 trucks and their 3500 trucks comparable to the competitions 4500. After owing a 2013 3500 I believe it, it was stiff. It was a SRW CC SB and had a payload of 4440 lbs. That one extra leaf, the stiffer front spring, and the new frame made it a payload monster. It really needed a 5000+lb trailer behind it all the time.

With the 6.4L, I don't know if I would look at a 3500 just because the engine is not as heavy up front. I would think that bumps would be harsher with the 6.4L up front over the 6.7 just because there is not the extra weight, compressing the spring and softening the blow.
Worthy points to consider.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Good thread here, guys. I have a 2014 6.4 Crew Laramie with 4.10 rear end. Traded my 13 CTD for her. Overall, I'm pleased. I don't tow enough or heavy enough to justify the diesel. My 32' fiver is about 10k loaded. On a trip to Branson, MO, I got about 9mpg, but it's a tough tow with steep grades. My CTD averaged about 9 towing same camper.

I've only got 1000 miles on my 6.4, so it's too early to tell on mileage. I've been breaking it in and running here and there at different speeds and RPMs. I'll go out on a limb, however, and say that 17 mpg average on highway is obtainable, even with the 4.10. I saw it a few times driving reasonable before I towed. Around town, maybe 12 or 13 if you're light on the pedal, which feels great when you put your foot into it.

I think RAM has a winner with this big gasser. There are a couple great threads over on the Cummins Forum about the 6.4, and lots of pics...I hope it's OK to mention another forum on here.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
Good thread here, guys. I have a 2014 6.4 Crew Laramie with 4.10 rear end. Traded my 13 CTD for her. Overall, I'm pleased. I don't tow enough or heavy enough to justify the diesel. My 32' fiver is about 10k loaded. On a trip to Branson, MO, I got about 9mpg, but it's a tough tow with steep grades. My CTD averaged about 9 towing same camper.

I've only got 1000 miles on my 6.4, so it's too early to tell on mileage. I've been breaking it in and running here and there at different speeds and RPMs. I'll go out on a limb, however, and say that 17 mpg average on highway is obtainable, even with the 4.10. I saw it a few times driving reasonable before I towed. Around town, maybe 12 or 13 if you're light on the pedal, which feels great when you put your foot into it.

I think RAM has a winner with this big gasser. There are a couple great threads over on the Cummins Forum about the 6.4, and lots of pics...I hope it's OK to mention another forum on here.
I am familiar with the threads you mention, pretty positive as is your post. I am leaning more this way should I decide to pull the trigger.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 2500 crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: monotone black
magnum74 is on a distinguished road

I will get an honest 15mpg+ on the highway empty no matter how I drive it. I hand calculate and don't go by the magic meter. I've had a best of 17.1 which blew me away.

The truck will cruise at 1500rpm all day long even in a strong head wind and on steeper grades and it will look after itself just fine when it gets there. If you are in hilly country keep it in tow haul. It will be more sluggish out of tow haul because it tries to hang on to gears.

The 6.4 makes great power where it needs it. It's not a 1/4 horse so it won't win drags but it makes solid power and you can make it move with weight with a light throttle.

I've posted in other threads here and stated that I'd be happy if this beast got 15mpg on a good day but it has totally exceeded my expectations. Getting a real 15 is easy with this truck.

I have towed with it but didn't calculate. It worked fine. This isn't a Cummins but it will hold its own just fine.

My advice; if in doubt, buy it.