DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
ponchota is on a distinguished road
Default 4+ years of no heat in NH

I hate to make my first post yet another heat problem.Apologies for being long winded, just wanna give you accurate history of problem.

I have an '03 Ram 1500 4.7L. Before I actually lost heat completely it started w/blowing cool air on drivers side and hot on pass. side. Then it just finally went cool on both sides. I have since then had the radiator, thermostat and water pump replaced because of a different issue. Even after that I still have no heat. So I did the blend door check by disconnecting actuators and manually moving doors and they sounded solid. So I went to flushing the heater core 2-3 times using CLR to help with scaling. I got a bit warmer air but not hot.
On Mon. I took alot of my dash apart once again and did discover that the recirc. door is broken. Contacted Dorman products for help. These guys were great! Marty in particular. I ordered the recirc. door and the mode door that switches hot to cold on his recommendation. Followed their diagram for cutting heater box open to access heater door (awesome). Only to discover both doors are in tact and work perfectly. I tested heater core and it hits 177 degrees. What could it be????? I have no heat still.. I think I've covered everything logically but still no resolution.
Can anyone give me some more suggestions? Have pics, and I took vid of doors moving properly if that helps.

Thanks

Last edited by ponchota; 07-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

'Bout the only left is the duct work from the fan. If the fan is pushing air, then blend door is working, the recycle door is working and the core is at 177 degrees... I don't know. Is the a/c working?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No A/C either. Forgot to mention I a replaced the A/C pump too because the clutch on the pulley froze. I replaced that before the radiator. Fan blows strong. I think the mode door to switch from defrost to dash vents etc. has an issue cuz it always blows out of the dash vents even if I have it on defrost, that wouldn't effect the heat though... right?
My recirc. door just came in so I'm going to pop that in and put some of my dash back together.
Man if this is fixed by winter I'm gonna put a pellet stove in the back.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Pellet stove may not be a bad idea.

No, where it blows out shouldn't have any effect on the temp. Something is up with the blend door or motor. Get those swapped out and see what it does. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I put just about everything back together with the new recirc. door and closed the heater box back up.
Put my trusty digital meat thermometer into the vent and I got 100 deg. Since it's summertime that doesn't feel very hot to me. Has anyone got any idea what a norm. temp would be? I'm surprised that there is such a huge difference in temp from the heater core to the vent.

Last edited by ponchota; 07-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

Sounds like you're just blowing outside air.
When I get home, I'll check what mine is. It's already 100 deg. outside, so it's gonna read a lot hotter than that... I'm hoping.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge ram 1500 QC 2WD
Color: Red
RamRod37 is on a distinguished road

Full blown It should Be Blowing Within A Few Degrees Of Engine Temp And I Would Start Looking Into The Possibility That The Climate Control Unit Could Be Bad Since Its All Electronic It Could Be Not Switch Doors Correctly I would Play With The temp Knob And With Motor Off See If Its working motor may not be getting The Correct Command's from Climate Control Module
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I think your problem is the heater core. If you search you will find multiple threads where owners have the exact same symptom that you have (temp difference from side to side and intact blend door) and resolved it by either flushing and properly filling or replacing the heater core.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge ram 1500 QC 2WD
Color: Red
RamRod37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I think your problem is the heater core. If you search you will find multiple threads where owners have the exact same symptom that you have (temp difference from side to side and intact blend door) and resolved it by either flushing and properly filling or replacing the heater core.
Yeah he's probably right mine has started doing same thing and iv been seeing post of heater core being the Issue
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

You would think manufacturers could figure out some way to make the heater core more accessible. I have never messed with one on a Ram (and pray that I never do) but I changed one in a Mitsubishi Diamante that my wife owned several years back. It took two of us two days. I didn't think we would ever get that dash back together. It looked like a train wreck, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.