DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
erik53 is on a distinguished road
Default Front left bang

In my new 2014 1500 3.6 CC I have a few times heard a loud bang seemingly coming from the left front quarter. This has nothing to do with transmission action. It sounds like a small rock hitting the sheet metal. At first I thought it was indeed a small rock being flung up into the wheel well. Then yesterday it happened again when I was going very slowly in a parking lot. Any suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4 CC
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:83
Bushmaster will become famous soon enough

Are your wheels turns, then it might be tire touching the plastic inner fender.
Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, SunTek clear wrap complete front end, Trail FX wheel to wheel nerf bars, Huskyliner mudflaps, Weather Tech front floor mats, rear Recon mini lightbar,20% tint front door windows, 5% tint rear door/rear window, Smittybilt Lightbar with 10" Rigid LED lightbar
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

No, this happens when going straight forward. I have been thinking that it might be a sticky brake caliper that doesn't retract immediately after braking, or something loose in the suspension or steering. Anyway, I haven't noticed any effect on how the vehicle moves. It doesn't seem to be freed from drag, and doens't seem to be affected in a sideways direction either. It is happens when I am just cruising at constat speen; no braking or acceleration is involved. It is a little bit like the noise made by a juice jug in the fridge when it changes shape due to temperature change. Well, the sound is not quite the same, but what I mean is it happens totally out of the blue, without action on my side, and it is surprisingly loud. Sort of when a bird suddenly hits a window at home, making a loud noise.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The sound is coming from the direction of the left dash or the left front wheel well. It doesn't have the sharp sound of something happening in the dash itself. Rather, the sound seems modified by traveling through layers of vehicle material.

I just remembered that when I got my previous vehicle years ago, also with aluminum wheels, the instruction manual told me to tighten the lug bolts, as they would tend to get loose on a new aluminum wheel. Maybe that is my issue? I haven't noticed such an instruction in the Ram literature, but I might have missed it.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Dustinb80 is on a distinguished road

I seem to be having the same issue. Its happened 2X. Mine seems to be coming from the rear tho. Not sure what the issue is.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I tightened my lug nuts all around, just in case that is it. Actually I found a place in the user guide where they do say to do this especially on a new truck. For my flanged lug nuts they specified a torque of 130-160 ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to its max setting of 150. I was able to tighten every lug nut on the vehicle significantly, but with the short handle of this wrench I wasn't strong enough to get it to click on all of them. I guess I should back off to 130 and try it again. Anyway, I am sure I made a difference in the right direction.

Another thought. The "bang" is not all that different from the sound of doors automatically locking, as they do shortly after you start driving (but a little louder I think). In this case, it was coming only from the front left, and long after I started driving. If a door lock is automatically actuated in that situation I would have to suspect an electrical/electronic problem.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Dustinb80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik53 View Post
Well I tightened my lug nuts all around, just in case that is it. Actually I found a place in the user guide where they do say to do this especially on a new truck. For my flanged lug nuts they specified a torque of 130-160 ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to its max setting of 150. I was able to tighten every lug nut on the vehicle significantly, but with the short handle of this wrench I wasn't strong enough to get it to click on all of them. I guess I should back off to 130 and try it again. Anyway, I am sure I made a difference in the right direction.

Another thought. The "bang" is not all that different from the sound of doors automatically locking, as they do shortly after you start driving (but a little louder I think). In this case, it was coming only from the front left, and long after I started driving. If a door lock is automatically actuated in that situation I would have to suspect an electrical/electronic problem.
I don't think its the door locks. Im used to what they sound like, and I can actually feel it when they do it. It happened to me again yesterday, but it wasn't as loud this time. Im not sure what the issue is. Ill look into tightening the lugs tho. Thanks for the update. Where in the manual does it give the torque specs?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
1stDodge is on a distinguished road

My guess it is the ABS, it will make the noise once you drive off for the first time such as in the morning or when the vehicle has been parked for a few hours. Nothing to worry about as this is normal.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: SXT
BenelliR1 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar thing happened yesterday. It happened 2-3 times with in a 3.5 hour drive on the highway and it almost sounded like someone slapping the side of my truck. It's loud enough that it startles you!!
Hopefully someone knows what this issue is
Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I found the wheel torque spec's in the User Guide on page 186. Today I retorqued all the nuts and got positive clicks from the wrench after I reduced the wrench setting to 135 lb-ft and, more importantly, bought an extension for the socket so I could avoid hurting my knuckles as I did yesterday.

Every time I have heard the "bang" I had been driving for quite a while, which suggests that the door locks are not involved. Ditto for the ABS if that too makes noise only shortly after start of driving.