DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: white and gold
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
Bunker Oil is on a distinguished road

Wonder what that 2.7L sounds like pedal to the metal. Probably spinning 6000RPM wont last long like that.
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Lone Star
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
kvtcomdo is on a distinguished road

Apples to Oranges.

They're using their 2015, aluminum frame and comparing them to a earlier model Ram and Chevy.

I also agree; when's the next time you plan on dragging with 7000# and how long do you think that 2.7 twin turbo will last @ red line each time?

Did you notice the Eco diesel had the Ford from the line each time?

Marketing only; proves nothing of the quality and longevity of your Ram.

Buy one and don't look back; except @ the pile of junk Ford on the side of the road with engine failure.

BTW, these aluminum bodies are going to be $$$ to repair i've heard.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie 5.7 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
twooldfarmers is on a distinguished road

all these new gasoline entries into the automotive market that are small cubes with turbo chargers are going to be expensive in the end

larger displacment motors such as the 5.7 and any other you care to choose will save you far more dollars in the end

your best bang for the buck has always been a larger displacement push rod motor, they inherently build bottom end torque and are easier on the pocket book all around but that is not where the industry is headed

but I would still avoid the 4 cyl turbo's when a NA V6 is offered or get an '8' over a blown V6.

Some manufacturers have gone 'back' to a V6 over their past offering of a turbo on a four banger

Last edited by twooldfarmers; 07-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Granite
CoolTech is on a distinguished road

I have the 2012 3.5L EcoBoost F150 FX4. The engine is a monster! With a 7,000lb trailer up a grade just set your speed and the EB will do it - no fuss, no muss. 60, 70, 80MPH.... no problem. I think this new 2.7L EB will be equally impressive in the power department. Applying the lessons learned in the 3.5L development and also carrying around less mass. So, if you think your manhood may be challenged when a Ford EB blows by you..... well then, you might as well shop the Ford. On Monday I just bought a Ram 1500 ED Laramie Limited. Huh? While the EB is amazingly powerful (I have NO doubts on the legitimacy of the video), it really drinks the fuel!! I think the ED has a MUCH nicer interior when compared to the Ford and there's just no doubt that an EB might blow by me on a hill, I'll pass him again when he is stopped at a gas station or ATM trying to feed that thing!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 1500 Ram
Trim Level: Long Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Hey19 is on a distinguished road
Default Good Reply

I have heard that also from a guy that owns one -they are hard on gas when they are pulling. He says 1 to 2 mpg less than a midsize v8.

I wish they would make two engine options, one regular like they have now and one for pulling. I know the majority of pickups are running around empty so they engineer them to have great seat of the pants feel. But I pull my truck 90 percent of the time and I wish they had a RV cam option so I could have peak torque at 2-3000 rpm. Everyone hangs their hat on torque and horsepower numbers but fails to realize that they are at 5500-6000 rpm which is not were my truck runs. I really don't want to buy a diesel due to initial cost and maintenance. I can't justify one for me. Thats the deal, ford has the torque on those turbo 6's down at 2000 rpm.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Lets see where they`re all at in 10 years and 100,000 miles on the clocks. Ther`s your REAL truth.
And lets put all bullsh!t aside and lay out all the maint & repair receipts on the table in 10 years as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Biga is on a distinguished road

I'll reserve judgement until I see an independent test. I laugh every time I see the Ford inspired bed bounce video, Fords have bed bounce approaching the level of Toyota, every Ford I get behind on the highway is terrible for it and if you search the internet, its a big compliant of Ford owners. Ford has a habit of making their issues look good in their own tests.

Last edited by Biga; 08-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Cherry red
Dr Honda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
I have the 2012 3.5L EcoBoost F150 FX4. The engine is a monster! With a 7,000lb trailer up a grade just set your speed and the EB will do it - no fuss, no muss. 60, 70, 80MPH.... no problem. I think this new 2.7L EB will be equally impressive in the power department. Applying the lessons learned in the 3.5L development and also carrying around less mass. So, if you think your manhood may be challenged when a Ford EB blows by you..... well then, you might as well shop the Ford. On Monday I just bought a Ram 1500 ED Laramie Limited. Huh? While the EB is amazingly powerful (I have NO doubts on the legitimacy of the video), it really drinks the fuel!! I think the ED has a MUCH nicer interior when compared to the Ford and there's just no doubt that an EB might blow by me on a hill, I'll pass him again when he is stopped at a gas station or ATM trying to feed that thing!
Yep..

My dad has a 2013 EB. It tows GREAT !!! I'm very impressed when he's dragging around his travel trailer. I can honestly say, it tows better than his old 5.0L V8 Ford. BUT... there's no magic here... it's drinks more fuel than his 5.0 V8, making that power. On the other hand... I can maintain LEGAL speeds, towing my 5500 Lb boat, even up the crazy 18% grades we have around here in PA... and I can turn 20 MPG doing so. (and spinning around 3200 rpms)

And finally... I got 29.2 mpg on a 230 mi trip last wed. (not towing) The best MPG's my dad's EB has seen was 19 mpg on a long trip.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram (?)
rpr is on a distinguished road

Interesting discussion. Based on the coments from the EcoDiesel owners, all I can say is they must have really optimized this engine in the Ram.

I drove a couple EcoDiesels on the 2014 Grand Cherokees (supposed to be the same engine, same turbo unit, etc.), and they were anemic.

Glad to see they enhanced the performance of this engine on the Rams, in the meantime, I'm loving my 5.7 Hemi!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:26 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
Big Tool is on a distinguished road

This video is moderately embarrassing for the ecodiesel, but at least they have the fuel economy argument.

Imagine the dismay of GM fan boys seeing their "brand new" volume engine struggling to keep up with a ford engine half it's size.

This test was as fair and unbiased as anything you will ever see. I can't get over the people still claiming that ford somehow rigged the results, when they made a point to option the vehicles in the correct trim "Always a gripe for fanboys", and then run the rigs 3 times with different drivers..

It's a comprehensive and thorough demonstration of the capabilities of all the vehicles. We should be applauding Ford for putting on demonstrations such as this so truck buyers have a realistic expectation of what their vehicles are capable of.

Another thing that always struck me odd is people complaining about the 3.5 EB sucking gas like a v8 when towing... There's no mystery here... It out tows the competition v8's especially in regard to usable low end grunt, and making more power requires more fuel.. There's nothing magical or disappointing about that.

The question is how often do you tow with your half ton gas burner?? If it's more than 50% of your mileage then you probably need a ecoidiesel. If not then you would probably be more well served by something like the 2.7 ecoboost which will probably come close to the Ecodiesel when unloaded, but will never touch the mileage when loaded..

There are real bonafide reasons why people tow light loads frequently and need the econo diesel. My lawn guy comes to mind. The rest of us would probably be better off buying cheaper gas.

Me personally don't trust none of this overly complex turbo crap... Going to stick with the Hemi for another 200K miles.

Last edited by Big Tool; 08-02-2014 at 03:28 AM.