DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What Brand of Motor Oil Do You Use?
Amsoil 85 10.30%
Castrol 72 8.73%
Dealer 51 6.18%
Havoline 5 0.61%
Mobil 288 34.91%
Pennzoil 85 10.30%
Quarker State 31 3.76%
Royal Purple 84 10.18%
Vavoline 75 9.09%
Not Listed 49 5.94%
Voters: 825. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Valvoline isnt in the same ballpark as Amsoil. The only oil that's close to Amsoil is Mobil 1 but even that falls just short.
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI QC
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
holydiver89 is on a distinguished road

I run full synthetic Valvoline 5w20 in the winter time for easier start up in the cold (I'd use Royal Purple but it's literally double the cost) and in the Summer I run Mobil. Not sure about for gassers but Mobil diesel oil is one of the few that don't use parafin wax, which can cause oil sludge, it's also under $5 a Quart when you buy "Mobile Super 5000" which makes is a good choice when not running synthetic. Now of course one could argue that any (supertech, NAPA, O'reilly's, Auto Zone) oil is the same (assuming it's the same weight) are all the same, and how is anyone going to know unless they run them all through the same motor, for the same period of time under the same conditions, and then tear the motor down? You really can't tell, but I guess the extra $1 per quart for name brand oil isn't that much more.....and makes you feel better about it too....it's just annoying when people say " X brand is the best blah blah blah" with no proof to back it up. My boss' '00 Dakota with the 4.7 has over 330k still running strong and all he ever used was cheap NAPA oil. If he used valvovline would it have blown at 200k? If he uses Amsoil is it going to make it to 500k? There's just no proof, it's all preference and what hype you buy into. Point is, as long as you put oil in your motor (no matter the brand), change your oil regularly, check the oil level frequently, you will have a long living healthy motor and really don't think you'd witness substantial life difference between brand A and brand B, just my .02 as a Tech.

Last edited by holydiver89; 02-09-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Amsoil has plenty of proof to back up my claims as it being the best. The ASTM testing is a tell all test and they are readily available on their website.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 5.7 HEMI QC
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
holydiver89 is on a distinguished road

Could only find 2 videos of their test results, 1 was the 6.54% inclrease in fuel economy on diesels and the other wasthe 0 w20 synthetic promo . I'm not saying it isn't good oil but it's costly, I want to see a live teardown of an engine running amsoil vs another brand to show long term wear differences, like i mentioned earlier my boss only used NAPA oil in his Dakota and it's over 330k now so I stand by my claim that as long as you change the oil and check it regularly it doesn't really matter what you run unless somehow Amsoil squeezes 500k out of the same motor and this one blows at 350k, then i might believe it. Also forgot to mention earlier that Valvoline is endorsed by Cummins for the diesels. And on a side note not regarding trucks, my boss said he blew up 3 dirt bike motors on Amsoil in a short period of time, he doesn't believe in it.

Last edited by holydiver89; 02-14-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

No matter what oil you use, if you change it at the necessary intervals for that oil, the engine will last(just as long as if you used a different oil). There are some differences between brands and types but it's stuff you'd hardly ever notice. The only reason I buy synthetic over conventional is because it's the same price. If it was more expensive the cost would not out weigh the benefit.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

I'll never buy into the Amsoil crowd... with the selection we have of quality motor oils on the market at much better prices, and the fact we change our oil at short intervals, there's no need for it... I'm going to go with Valvoline Synthetic since it's competitively priced and quiets down the infamous Hemi tick.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead Ram View Post
I'll never buy into the Amsoil crowd... with the selection we have of quality motor oils on the market at much better prices, and the fact we change our oil at short intervals, there's no need for it... I'm going to go with Valvoline Synthetic since it's competitively priced and quiets down the infamous Hemi tick.
This is a common misconception.

Amsoil is really not that much more than your top-shelf synthetic oils at box stores..... and certainly close to par with your automotive supply stores like Advance, Pepboys, etc...

Also, if you're an Amsoil dealer, it's [price] pretty much even playing field in comparison to the other synthetics.

Grub out!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm unbiased(see my posts prior), and I buy an amsoil synthetic product. I get it for $4.40/qt. I don't necessarily think it's god's gracious gift to the oil world, but it's great oil and just as cheap as anything else, and convenient for me to get.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Which oil are you purchasing for $4.40/qt in the Amsoil line?

Grub out!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 PM

OE....................