DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Rep:10
hollywood06 is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 not working

On my 96 ram my 4x4 isn't working. i feel the transfer case engage when i shift it to 4 high but my front axle isn't locking in, and my dash indicator isn't lighting up. Does anyone have any idea where i should start i would like to get it working before the snow starts to fly if i can.

Hollywood
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum! Although I can't help you with your question, someone should be able to, so hang tight! In the mean time, please introduce yourself in the newbie section: http://ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 .. enjoy the site!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1986 dodge ramcharger
Color: Gray & silver
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:82
MrDodge300 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to MrDodge300
Cool

i had the same problem in my 01 dodge ram i was going to check into it when i broke the front axle and then deployed to iraq if you find out whats wrong let me know cause my truck is still sitting broke
Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Matthys333

I just had a similar problem in my 97 Dodge. Does it make a clanking noise when you try to drive in 4H? For me, I wasn't engaged fully into 4H. Do you have a lever or a button? If you have a lever then pull the lever farther down and your light should light up and 4X4 should be fully engaged. Let me know.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
psychomekanik

Hey Hollywood. Look at your front axle. If it's a dana 60. It'll have a vacuum controlled servo on the axle to disconnect the axle when it's shifted into 2-wheel drive. Check for vacuum at the servo with the engine running and engaged in 4-wheel drive. it should have vacuum. if not follow the line to the switch on the transfer case. the vacuum comes from the engine, to the switch on the t-case. The switch turns the vacuum on and off with gear selection. If the servo has vacuum and it switches fine with t-case gear selection, try tapping on the housing lightly with a hammer. It may just be stuck. the light is switched on and off by a switch on the servo itself. If you have vacuum at the switch on the t-case, but it's not switching it to the front axle, the switch is bad. If you have good vacuum control but it still wont shift try pumping up the disconnect servo. it may have a ruptured diaphragm. If the light is'nt coming on, it's telling me it's in the servo, the vacuum switch, or vacuum related. here's a picture of the disconnect servo. I hope this helps..
Mark

Last edited by psychomekanik; 11-11-2008 at 10:28 PM.