DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2008, 10:10 AM
psychomekanik

Default Important maintenance recommendation

I've been a dealer tech. for a number of years now. I believe in maintence instead of repairs. You know the old saying, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. I'd like to let some of you guys in on a valuable secret that I believe can extend the life of an engine IMMENSLY. And you wont find it in any owners manual. That's an E.F.I. cleaning and service. It consists of a can of combustion chamber cleaner, an aersol can of injector cleaner (can be substituted for In tank cleaner) Here's what it entails as I perform them. with the engine hot, I'll remove a manifold vacuum line or go right through the throttle body if possible (Recommended) With the engine running, Spray a topside or cumbustion chamber cleaner in the engine flogging it down causing it to smoke bad but being careful not to hydrolock the engine. I like to spray the cleaner through the i.a.c. port to clean the valve as well. use enough of the cleaner to make the engine want to die out. Kill the engine By covering the throttle plate with your hand, or have someone shut the key off. let the cleaner saturate the pistons, rings, valves and such. wait about 10-15 minutes. at this time clean the throttle body with a small brush, and more of the cleaner. restart the engine. You might have to clear flood it to get it to start. (hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking.) when it starts you'll see all the built up carbon and gunk come out of the tailpipe as smoke. Immiediately spray more cleaner into the throttle body cracking the throttle open over and over (brief w.o.t.) Then go drive it hard to clean it out. then as a last step I hook up a fuel injector cleaner and run the engine (with the fuel pump disconnected) till the can of cleaner runs out. then restore the vehicle and test drive it, and clear any engine lights flagged by the misfire moniter if any. Anyone can do this without expensive equipment with the exception of the pressurized fuel injector cleaner. You can substitute a can of in tank injector cleaner for that. I cannot express the benefits of a topside cleaning every 30k. I've seen engines tore down that had regular E.F.I.'s as opposed to the ones that didn't. the difference is night and day. There is usually hardly any carbon buildup in the regularly maintained engines. and the engines of similiar mileage are choked with it. Replacement of the p.c.v. valves is also recommended at this time. I'm a firm believer that the destructive cycle of almost every engine on the road starts with carbon. First the rings start to stick to the pistons, causing blowby, and loss of compression, the p.c.v. valve plugs up, then it starts to spiral from there. Regular topside cleanings will keep the rings floating and working as designed. keep the engine free of damaging carbon. There's something to be said about an engine with 175,000 miles on it and when you pull the dipstick to check the oil you can't even see it on the dipstick because it's so clean! Mopar makes a really good combustion chamber cleaner, and the in-tank injector cleaner. I've even fixed engines that were using oil badly becaused of carbon frozen oil rings, by using their products.

Last edited by psychomekanik; 10-28-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi
Color: 2 tone, black with silver
Rep:14
03ramhemi is on a distinguished road

hey thats sounds like a really good idea, i have an 03 with the hemi and 79 tho miles, i dont kno if id feel comortable doing that myself, by chance is there ne where i can take it to have it done, and for a decent price at that. i mean if it'll help that much seems like a good investment.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Very nice writeup and advice! This type of maintainance is very important and sometime totally forgotten. A great reminder indeed! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
psychomekanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ramhemi View Post
hey thats sounds like a really good idea, i have an 03 with the hemi and 79 tho miles, i dont kno if id feel comortable doing that myself, by chance is there ne where i can take it to have it done, and for a decent price at that. i mean if it'll help that much seems like a good investment.
Most dealerships and aftermarket places offer this (or a similiar service).
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi
Color: 2 tone, black with silver
Rep:14
03ramhemi is on a distinguished road

cool, thanks alot, hope its not rediculously over priced but we'll see what happens, id like to keep my girl running good n strong for many years to come.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3930
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Great info but sounds a little intimidating to most of us wanna-be mechanics! What if you messed up?

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
psychomekanik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
Great info but sounds a little intimidating to most of us wanna-be mechanics! What if you messed up?
There's really not too much to mess up. In the early days, we used a chemical cleaner in a can and had to siphon it out with a vacuum line, or just pour it in. Then you had to be really careful not too pour too fast or you'd do some damage. With the aerosol can cleaners there's not too much that can go wrong. Just spray it in the throttle body giving it just enough throttle to keep it running. after most of the cleaner's gone, let it die or kill it and let the cleaner work for a little.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
sneekypete

excellent advice... i have done that with atf (auto.trans.fluid), and used it on old british sports cars to bring them back to life.. it would smoke out the nieghborhood... of coarse my shade tree mech.buddy used atf on everything ,including the dash instead of armor all..
Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:31
Fast Willy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fast Willy

Can you post the part numbers from mopar so we don't buy the incorrect ones. That would greatly help
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Drakon543

Default seafoam

ne autoparts store offers a can of cleaner that does this its called seafoam and it works wonders to clean out ne engine
i've only seen one drawback that can also be a plus in the long run
when u restart your engine and flush all that buildup out the exhaust if your catalytic converter is already on its last few miles u may have just stuck a fork in it and finished it off
yet better to happen while your still in your driveway than 10 miles from nething