DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
JSlo is on a distinguished road
Default What to detail my black 2009 with?

I was going to take it to a detailer and get a paint protection package done and redone once a year but I'm wondering if I can get the same results myself. My truck is a black 2009 q/c and I dont mind putting in the work as often as I have to and spending money on decent products in order to keep it looking new.

So what should I use keeping in mind its only a few weeks old and black? Being its still new should I use something other than wax at first? Any advice would be appreciated. I did surf through here for a few hours but just didn't find the answers I wanted. So far leaning towards turtle wax ice based on what Ive read here.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Just keep a good coat of wax on it . Maybe clay it once or twice a year . You''ll be great . I am a lover of Meguairs products . Heres their web site . http://www.meguiars.com/ . They have a great section on how to if your not sure of a certain product and how to use it . Talk to ya later . Tom
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: ST
Color: Stone White
Rep:20
Bobba Booey is on a distinguished road

Do no take it to the dealer for their "paint protection". They have no idea how to properly detail and will cause more harm than good. Check out this thread if you want to see what the dealer can do when you let them detail your vehicle.

You have a black truck and any blemishes will be much more visable with that color. It's also a good idea to decline the free car wash if you take your truck in for any work. They don't use proper washing techniques and will create swirl marks.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Rep:10
JSlo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. Ive done alot of detailing over the years and Ive liked mcguires too. But to be honest I dont have the slightest clue about the claybar thing. Heard of it lots but dont know what its supposed to do or how to use it. Can I get one anywhere I can get wax? And again keeping in mind my truck is new and black.....hand wax or power polisher?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: ST
Color: Stone White
Rep:20
Bobba Booey is on a distinguished road

Detailing clay removes surface contamination that can’t be removed by regular washing. It is very easy to easy and can be found at most stores that sell car detailing products. Here’s a graphic of what clay does.

Click here to see a nice guide on how to use detailing clay.

Quote:
And again keeping in mind my truck is new and black.....hand wax or power polisher?
Waxing and polishing are two different processes that produce two very different results. Waxing provides a nice shine and protection to the paint, while polishing is used to correct imperfections in the clear coat. If you aren’t overly concerned with detailing, then a simple wax will do just fine. If you want your paint to look perfect polishing is mandatory. Polishing is more expensive because you have to buy the polish, pads, buffer, and towels. Polishing also takes a lot of time and effort, but the results are amazing. I can give you more info on polishing if you’re interested, but if you’re just a casual detailer a wash, clay, wax process will be fine.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Rep:25
tjcin is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a kit from Adam's Polishes. It was called the "Junkman's Kit". I have been waxing my cars for years with Meguiars and although their stuff is good, the Adam's stuff is great. They have instructional videos on how to use their products. I clay barred my 09 truck and got more junk off of it than my 06 SUV. Their stuff is a bit pricey, but the results are great. With a black truck, your finish will be awesome. Good Luck
Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:28
1970 Charger is on a distinguished road

If you can find it, I only use STRIKE FORCE. That is what they use on the jets. It looks like diesel fuel in a little can. I have been using it for about 5 years now. This is the only paint protectant that actually works! It has a five year warranty, but I reapply it every 2 years. I have a 170" wheel base passenger Dodge Sprinter that I use for showing my champion Bullmastiffs. Washing the Sprinter is like washing a whale. There is no way that I am going to wax it every 3 months. I also use it on my 09 Ram 1500 and my Challengers. This stuff works well, it helps keep the paint from etching from bird droppings bugs, etc. The shine and appearance is awesome. I won't lie, this stuff is expensive, about $70.00 a bottle. One bottle does 3 cars, or 2/3 of one Sprinter. Just incase you do not know what a Sprinter looks like, here is a picture of one. If you need the number to the owner of the company, send me a PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sprinter.jpg (2.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Sprinters.jpg (76.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi

I've always had a soft spot for 3M products. Finesse It puts a nice shine on a vehicle and Perfect It removes marks. I'd like to clay my truck, I've got to find clay somewhere though.

For carwash soap I like Blue Coral. It has some kind of mild wax or shine agent that makes a vehicle look great. I can't stand Meguiar's soap it always streaks and on my truck, black, it looks abysmal. On my wife's Z3, yellow, it streaked real bad two. Both types of Meguiar's we bought. I used to always use dish soap because I cleaned soooo well.....but the problem is that it strips your wax off too.

Luke
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.