DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Drakon543

Default i've got some driving noise

the title is a little bleek wasn't sure what to put oh well
well first off im only 25 so im probably geussing whatever is wrong with my truck was a direct result of my messing around

whel i start drving about 15-25mph has some very slight noise u can just pick up when ur driving not sure if thats just regular gear noise but 40mph-50mph depending on how long i've been driving has a very loud whirr/humming noise
if i've been driving it for a while sometimes it can even get loud enough to be extremely obnoxious i also have larger tires and a 3 inch suspension lift under my truck i had it aligned at a trusted garage right after the kit was installed and i keep my tires rotated regularly im starting to think i have a serious drivetrain problem

the problem started after i had to swap out my driveshaft when i had the bright idea of doing a brake stand well i broke the yoke on the rear end and smashed up the end of the original driveshaft so replaced the driveshaft instead of trying to make the old one work the new one was a little different but the splines and the transfercase input shaft had the same diameter (not real great with specific names) i talked to the dodge dealership garage about it and they also think my truck had the wrong driveshaft to start with since the balancer on the old driveshaft was running right on the seal where the shaft went in (napa seal p/n np-241 same as others just has a boot on it aswell) also when my shaft broke i pulled the shaft out from under my truck and had to drive it about 5 miles in 4x4H to get to my buddies house where we could fix it i had the opening in the transfer case taped up so no fluid that i know of leaked out. after all that was fixed my speed sensor on my rear end had the plastic cap and some of the copper strands in the sensor fall into the rear end i put a new sensor on it and the dealership said not to worry about what fell in because its only plastic and would get chewed up in the rear end
i'm putting on a new seal on the backside of the transfer case today cause i noticed it has begun leakin some fluid out
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/318
Trim Level: Ext. cab Laramie SLT
Color: White w/ graphics
Rep:19
Unbridled is on a distinguished road

I'd start by draining both differentials and the transfer case and seeing what you have floating around in the fluid. Run a magnet through the fluid you drain to see how much metal you have floating around in there. Since you've replaced the rear driveshaft, I'm sure you've probably already got good u-joints there.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Drakon543

ya brand new ujoint just drained and replaced the transfer case fluid and a new seal where the drive shaft hooks up didn't find much metal just a few small pieces i put some heavy duty lucas gear oil back in it and its already runnin quieter just some noise between 40-45 tho
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
racer53

any chance u got a wheel bearing startin 2 go the unitized hub bearing makes a heck of a lot of noise 4 a while bfore there is any real play at the wheel w/ the bigger tires its just a thought

mike
Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:31
Fast Willy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fast Willy

Judging by what you said it could be all of those things everyone has already listed. But here's another idea, did you make sure the drive shaft was balanced and if you stripped the splines on the input shaft or anything like that you could be looking at an expensive fix. I would flush all fluids and keep an eye out for little pieces of metal.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Drakon543

the out of balance drive shaft was a concern when i was installing it but wouldn't i feel that through my shifter beings i have a 5spd not an auto
and the rear output shaft on my transfer case (now with the new seal which is a different style) sticks out by an inch so i can actually see it all the way around it looks pretty solid
i'd much rather take it stright to the garage to let them figure it out but just can't do that right now