DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone here painted?

Hello everyone who reads, im wanting to try painting but like they it takes practice to become good right? so im wanting to do a pearl essence black/orange if there is a such? but what im wanting to know is the steps after the primer/base coat , like so i lay the primer do i sand the primer ? with what sand grit ? then lay the base coat do i sand the base coat then lay another layer on top of that then sand it again with 2000 grit and polish it up then lay the clear ? i know some people are probaly saying to take it and have it done but id like to give it a shot, so i can say i did that! lol so if anyone can help it would most definitly be appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi
Color: 2 tone, black with silver
Rep:14
03ramhemi is on a distinguished road

dont take my word, but i do kno theres alot of steps to get it just right, and theres a wet sand somewhere in the process, i have a family friend with a shop and a paint booth next time i see/talk to 'em i could let you kno if you havent found out by then, goodluck.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 07 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
DesertDog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DesertDog

if and wen you do decide , try a small area, or better yet , go down to the wreckin yard get a fender or hood and practice on that till yur satisfied , dont waste yur time on a vehicle till you kno wut to do...
it may not be like the pros but it will look good .

and make sure yu get the right spray mask those fumes are toxic...fyi

good luck keep us posted,, i like personal projects
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Patriot
Trim Level: Latitude
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:40
DaveDees is on a distinguished road

A paint job is only as good the preparation done before hand. There are a lot of factors that you must consider before attempting such an endevour. You have to be something close to a chemist to really get the portions of reducer, paint, catalyst and any other additives, such as fish-eye remover, right. And in order for it to turn out decent you have to minimize the dirt and dust floating in the area.

Here is the shortened version of the whole process:

First wet sand using 320 grit wet and dry paper or use the red scotch pad to roughen the paint that is already on there. You'll know when it's rough enough cause the shine will have turned dull. After you do the primer, you have to wet sand with 320 grit wet and dry paper again. Use a rubber squeegie for that purpose to remove the excess water. It's show the highs and lows. Once you have the primer like you want it. Spray on your base coats. It usually doesn't take long for the base coat to dry. After waiting the appropriate lenght of time, shoot your clear coat. 2000 grit is only used to color sand after all the steps are done.

I personally like to color sand and buff after the last clear coat to give it that glass look.

All in all, this is a process best left to a pro if you're thinking of doing something major. Hope this gives you an idea of the whole process and it helped you.

All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:31
Fast Willy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fast Willy

san the car with 450 and remove any dents you might have. Primer the car let drive and then sand the primers with 800. Once your happy with everything being straight, then you can apply your base. I usually apply 2 coats of base but if your doing a pearl depending on how much you want 3 heavy coats should work great. Clear with 2 or 3 coats as well. 2 usually works the best on a single color but if you doing a 2 tone then a 3rd layer makes it easier to buff out the lips from the 2 tone lines. Depending on the paint company you are usuing make sure you buy there cleaners and each are for different steps. Ask your paint supplier for all the correct stuff they should be more then happy to help.

If you have any further questions just ask. I painted my cobra
Old 12-15-2008, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

sweet thanks, i think i found the paint job i want to do theres a good site where pretty much everything is found for autobody alsacorp.com, im looking to do a black base coat then applying this eclipse to the base then adding a candy lime green so when it gets heat activated it turn the parts into black for you of those who havent heard of it check it out its bad azzz lol ... theres also videos on you tube of the paint just type in color changing paint in the search and it should come up with a video of some guy who painted his tub and sink with this stuff, they are black and as soon as the water hits it, it turns green lol, id think id be hallicinating all the time from it, but check em' out
Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Patriot
Trim Level: Latitude
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:40
DaveDees is on a distinguished road

Here's a pic of my handiwork, I did all of it, body work, fiberglassing and the paint:

All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous.