DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:12
zacotaco is on a distinguished road
Default Stalling

every so often, when i come to a slow stop at a light or a sign, the engine just dies on our 04 5.7L, no warning, no sound, and its hard to notice cause its a quite truck, you push the gas and nothing happens, and you freak out and throw it into park, and restart it. but not sure what could cause this!! has this happened to anyone else?

also, sometimes it will go days without doing it. in hot or cold weather. sometimes it will do it once, and sometimes 5 times in a row... totally random.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:235
Zonestar has a spectacular aura aboutZonestar has a spectacular aura aboutZonestar has a spectacular aura about

Intermittent problems can sometimes be the hardest to fix but I believe it will be something with your fuel system. Hopefully a mechanic will be track down the problem and fix it for you.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
Color: Black metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
DesertDog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DesertDog

i second that with Zonestar on the fuel..

you described the symptons of a fule pump starting to fail it sounds like...

hope not...wen was the last time u changed the fuel filter ? dirty fuel filter causes thos probs too

good luck
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Color: Flame Red
Trograt is on a distinguished road

It could be the fuel pump or filter. But this has happened to ALOT of people, and most of the time it is the EGR valve It. mine has done this once it is no fun. Read this post it is good.

"I found the problem to my stalling!! I was driving home from work this morning and thought I would stop in to the AUTOZONE, auto parts store for a free code reading. I was fully prepared to buy a scanner to read my check engine light code but have put it off. Anyhow, Autozone could not help me because, as the person behind the counter stated, "We are in the process of opening up the store and there are only two (peoples) here." I was the only one in the store at the time. I decided to go to another parts store (Murrays Auto Parts, Detroit area chain) and they would not read the code, but if I gave them my drivers license, I could take the reader out into the parking lot and hook it up myself.(It's pretty simple to do, plug in turn your key to on, not start, and follow the directions on the scanner.) The scanner gave me the following codes: P0404, P0406 and P1607. These codes are related to an EGR Valve malfunction. You can obtain all of the codes online if you go to www.Google.com and type in, "Dodge Ram Trouble codes." I took off the old EGR valve and opened the top of the valve, where the connector goes in. (((This is a sealed valve coil and usually will not be opened by an end user)) I noticed a lot of condensation under the connection cover and one of the coil leads were corroded and broken in two. Also there was an aroma of a burnt coil. Please contact me if you want pictures so we are crystal clear what I did. I am an electrician and it's not a big deal to me to tear something like this apart, but opinions can vary and I realize that. It's best to be cautious in whatever you do. I ended up getting the EGR Valve and gasket at the Dodge dealer for $71.09. When I received the part, I noticed it was the same manufacturer as the origional and I made a comment to the service manager about it. He said they made a modification to it so it should hold up. I compared it to the origional and it looks the same. I'm not too sure about it but NEXT time I will know what to get right off the bat. Heck, I might keep one on the shelf of my garage just in case. I ended up replacing it and now have no further problems. I still have the check engine light on but it should go out soon because I did not reset it when I had the scanner.I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 and the EGR Part Number is: 53032509-AM VALVE EGR 14038024 and the gasket is: 5277928 GASKET EG 14062002. Hope this helps and I tried to get one from the parts store but the best they could do is one day. The dealer had 6 of them in stock. Sorry for the long version but I wanted to give all information."

This is the Forum that this came from.
http://***************/forum/3rd-gen...-stalling.html
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Trograt; 12-21-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 PM
erm

Great info on the EGR valve and stalling problems, Trograt.

Beans to you!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Anything to help.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Dakota
Color: Silver
zacotaco is on a distinguished road

Thanx Trograt, we actually had the EGR vavle replaced a few months back, thats when it started doing that, and our check engine light went on. We replaced the valve and reset the light, which never came back on, BUT the truck started to stall on us again. could it be that this valve went out too? or something else?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

You could have just gotten a bad valve if you can replace it again, and see. After that I would say something with the fuel system run a good cleaner through it hoepfully that will help.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
rickbraley is on a distinguished road

I have an 05 Dodge Ram with a hemi that is doing the same thing. Intermittently and it appears only when coming to a stop the engine will die. It happens more when it is cold. You can see the rpms on the tach stumble whenever the trucks ground speed gets really close to zero and sometimes it dies completely. I have no "check engine" light visible at any time.

I always assumed that there would be no trouble codes if the check engine light didn't come on. Is this incorrect?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 AM
07USMC3.7L

if it isn't the EGR valve the look into the fuel pump a little bit more then the filter. If it was the filter then you would have spuddering on acceleration, whereas if it is the pump, then when your decelerating the electrical load on the pump starts to wan and if the pump is bad then it will cut off and on until you put on the gas. is the fuel pump internal or external on these trucks and what voltage are they?