DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi
Color: 2 tone, black with silver
Rep:14
03ramhemi is on a distinguished road
Default oil change

alright everyone, i kno everyone has prefrences on motor oil and how long they wait and such. my question to y'all is, im in need of and oil change soon, i do my own and i use synthetic, the last brand i used was quakerstate Q-horsepower full synthetic and not to sure on the wait with a mopar filter. what weight and viscocity would you use? i have a 2003 qc Hemi 2wd 82,xxx miles and do no towing but do have a superchips programmer and hate to say it but kinda have a lead foot. my comp. on the ceiling says i get a 12.5 mpg avg. everywhere with a tonneau. let me kno what you think and thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Lone Star 5.7
Color: Black
Rep:12
Aggie 5.7 is on a distinguished road

Does your truck burn oil? If so, I'd go with a high mileage oil (with 80k, I doubt you would, but it wouldn't be unusual if you did.)

Also, check your manual, it will tell you the BEST oil weight you can run... I know when Dodge started their "4-cylinder shutoff" they started recommending the use of 5w-20. I'm not sure if your truck uses that, but if it does, then I'd go with the 5w-20 so you don't get any engine problems.

As for brand, as long as you're going full synthetic, you really can't go wrong. Certain enthusiasts will swear by one brand name or the other, but for the most part, they're all pretty similar. I personally use Mobil 1 and/or Royal purple. I know they're a bit costly, but since I drive it like I stole it, I think I can justify the cost.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM

Rep:235
Zonestar has a spectacular aura aboutZonestar has a spectacular aura aboutZonestar has a spectacular aura about

The recommended viscosity is 5W30 for your engine if your engine is not equipped with MDS.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Check this out. It's pretty much everything you every wanted (or didn't want) to know about motor oil. Make your own informed decision.

The Motor Oil Bible

Good Luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

I used 5W-30 in my 03 ram 5.7, i sold it with 120,000 miles on it and I used Mobil-1 in it sense I bought it new. In my 08 I use RP with a K&N filter.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi
Color: 2 tone, black with silver
Rep:14
03ramhemi is on a distinguished road

thanx everyone, no my truck doesnt burn oil, and dont have mds, but ya i believe i used 5w30 last time and i'll just stick with it, its been around 5k or alil more since last change, and i think i'll stay with the same brand as well, dont kno if itll effect anything but it wouldnt hurt to stick with the same stuff. thanx everyone
Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

Well, If you have had good service with quakerstate then stick with it, But there are much better oil filters then Mopar, Mobil-1 or K&N are much better filters.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

with every oil change i do, i use mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 and add a bottle or lucas additive to make sure its sticky but the thing you have to watch out for when doing the oil changes is the conditioners and other additives they add in the oil like for instance i work for a shop and we use kendall oil and with every viscosity you want from 0-20 to a high mileage the only problem is, i know it may sound wierd but it is true when for long period of time using one brand then switching to another can cause problems ive seen a ram that used only thatq horse power for a long time and then had us for the last 3 oil changes use a regular 5w20 which is what allot of rams take then started causing a blow-by because the valve guides were taking a crap but just be careful in what you use try if you can yourself taking like a drill bit against metal and use a few different oils you can see the difference in the lubricant but good luck and its not dumb asking those questions, oh and i prefer fram filters the only difference from it to a k&n is you tightn the k&n with a wrench and your paying more and i go 6k miles to every oil change and have gone roughly little over 7k miles but post by the way

Last edited by ph3nom3non03; 12-30-2008 at 01:36 AM.