DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
MattRam2002

Default Wanting To Know What You Think

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L, (completely stock under the hood) and was wondering the best things i need to do to the truck for some performance but on a budget. I would love some good performance increase but i do not want to spend a lot to do so. I defiantly want some new exhaust, but i dont want something that sounds crappy, I want a deep tone, but never put new exhaust on anything before so what do you guys (or gals) think i should look for so i can get a good "tone" for the money, with still being loud as well. (If you want an idea of what i want, i love the sound the Rumble Bee's make, loud but sound great too) Also looking for throttle body spacer and a good cold air as well. I know the good brands for the CAI but nothing on throttle body's. And what else could i do thats relatively inexpensive to do that would make some type of difference.
Thanks for the help
Matt
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM
erm

You've got the right idea...more air in, more air out = more HP and better fuel efficiency.

As far as exhaust, what sounds good is very subjective. I like Magnaflow. Nice deep tone, roars when you get on it, pretty quiet with no drone when cruising. I've used their mufflers and catback systems on 3 vehicles, most recently my '99 5.2L Ram 1500. I'm very happy with the results.

I am waiting on my CAI (Volant 16859) but know I've got a good product coming as I've used their systems on three vehicles as well.

The last, best bang for the buck mod that I would suggest is a programmer. DiabloSport is working on one. Superchips and Hypertech make one for your truck.

Honestly, I haven't seen much, if any, positive increase in HP or fuel economy with throttle body spacers but it can't hurt to try one.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
MattRam2002

I was defiantly thinking about magnaflow for sure, what series did you go with as for as the muffler goes?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM
erm

My muffler is a Magnaflow single in/dual out unit. The part number is 12278, 2.25" ID inlet/outlets.

Seems to me most Magnaflows sound about the same, unlike the different sounds you get with the Flowmaster Series 40 vs Series 50 vs. their other stuff.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
Rep:399
RaiderJay6 is just really niceRaiderJay6 is just really niceRaiderJay6 is just really niceRaiderJay6 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to RaiderJay6

Dont bother on the TB spacer. They dont do much if anything. On my 02 Ram I had the MagnaFlow cat back dual exhaust. It was real loud but if you on a budget I would suggest just replacing the muffler and maybe have it just turndown. The Superchips is a real good programmer and makes nice power. I also had an K&N series 77 CAI and that is pretty loud too.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I wouldn't waste your $$$ on the TB spacer. I've got one on my '08 with the 5.7L HEMI. I went with the AEM Brute Force CAI (it came with the TB spacer). This is the 4th vehicle that I've put the AEM on, I've had good luck with it.

Which CAI you choose is always a personal decision, as most of 'em do pretty much the same thing. I like the AEM for the dry filter that they use... don't have to worry about the oil as you do with the K&N (I think K&N still uses oilly filters).

exhaust is a personal choice too. I for one don't want it too loud, but I want better exhaust flow... others likes to rattle their teeth going down the road......

just my two cents worth

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
MattRam2002

So as of right now the TB is out, CAI and exhaust are in for sure. I defiantly don't want it to rattle my teeth but if I'm going to spend the money i want people to hear that i have done so. As far as the K&N and AEM I noticed pretty much as far as people liking them and stuff are pretty much the same so sounds like my choice will be on the price.