DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road
Default 04 Ram 5.7L throttling issues

Just wondering if anyone has any symptoms like this, and if so... what were their corrections made. The problem is that during regular driving, cruising if you will, when going up an incline the truck will lose speed, this is not normal. When I say it loses speed, it will not maintain where your foot is depressed on the pedal, also even by slightly pushing pedal in gradually it still will not catch and maintain or accelerate until the pedal is depressed hard or alot farther. This is something that is also noticeable while "cruise control" is set, the truck will lose speed, and engine will not accelerate or maintain speed and then will drop a gear to pull back up to set speed. Does anyone have any fix for this, or know what the issue could be? Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 07 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black metalic
Rep:37
DesertDog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DesertDog

you mean to tell me that is a problem... i thought that was normal. woe. i'm gonna keep my eye on this thread and see if you get the answer your lookin for.......
Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 PM

Well, I only noticed it in my brothers 04, my dad has an 02 4.7L and his doesn't do it... now I just picked up my 05 5.7L and it also doesn't have this problem, cruise holds proper speed and slightly accels even when going up a hill. If it was my brothers 04, it would slug up the hill losing momentum, and then seem as though it dropped a gear and rev up and go. I was just hoping to find out an answer why it does this. I'm thinking myself it must have something to do with the pedal sensor, or TB sensor or something in those circuits.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
you mean to tell me that is a problem... i thought that was normal. woe. i'm gonna keep my eye on this thread and see if you get the answer your lookin for.......
Well, I just thought I would update everyone on the status of the problem. The weather has been cold here... about -25 celsius, and on wednesday my brother called me early in the a.m. and told me he had a throttle light on on his guages... He ended up taking it into the dealer and they looked at it and told him the throttle body was pooched and needed to be replaced! ($450, plus labour .3hrs) I went into the dealer and talked to the tech myself, and told him the issue, and he said.... if he would have brought it in before the codes came up and it stopped working then he might have been able to do more. But its not under warranty! I argued the fact that he purchased the truck there and that it was like what I mentioned above in my first post from day one, and how was he suppose to know that wasn't normal for his pick up truck to be doing? But the guy wouldn't do anything for me.. pretty much a waste of breathe.
Also, on another note... I had a salesman there print off my options list for my truck.. the service lady saw that I had this and freaked on me... asking how I got it and all... Well I never told her where I got it, but "apparently" thats confidential information for only the dealerships... Even though its MY truck... so I told her too bad and if she wanted it, I would just get another copy.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
erm

Well, with regards to the bro's truck, I suspect a malfunctioning Throttle Position Sensor. I'm not sure you have to replace the whole throttle body just for that.

And with regards to the VIN decode/equipment options list, that's just BS.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Well, with regards to the bro's truck, I suspect a malfunctioning Throttle Position Sensor. I'm not sure you have to replace the whole throttle body just for that.

And with regards to the VIN decode/equipment options list, that's just BS.
Thats exactly what I said about the options list... its my truck and I'm entitled to know its information... like the dealer not being able to disclose previous owners to me, all I have to do is pay $15 at the local Ministry of Transportation, and I can find all of that out anyway.
Now for my brothers truck, I'm not 100% on the reason for a whole new tb, but I heard it was plastic, so maybe it cracked from binding for too long or something. I'll talk to him and see if he got the old one and how the truck is running. I kind of forgot about it today when I was over boosting the snowmobile battery.