DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 PM
madmax0r

Default Rough Idle, Bad mileage, EGR valve?

My truck is Idling rough.. now it pings at higher RPM (i think its pinging, spark knock? valve float?) It sucks gas worse now.. I have replaced distributor, wires, plugs, TPS sensor (unrelated problem) and coil..

Its a 2001 ram, 5.9L

I do not have an EGR valve.. I'm not sure how that's possible, but i don't. there is no pipe coming off of either manifold leading around to the back of the engine. there is no pipe coming off the exhaust anywhere.. I don't appear to have an EGR valve where it should be.. so its not simply missing the pipe. There is not spot for it to be on the exhaust.

Is this missing in 2001?

although really weird, it did not ping or knock a few months ago, so this is probably not EGR related anyway..

It has always Idled kinda rough.. I'm told this is somewhat common with the magnum.. but its worse now.

i have read it could be: valve guides.. sounds awesome... pistion rings... neat..

sounds like im screwed.. =) I'll do the blow off test I read about tomorrow..

Sometimes I sware I hear a knocking noise in the engine, at idle, very random sounding.. no correlation with the idle speed.

alrighty. any insights are much appreciated. I'm usually pretty decent at diagnosing motors.. so far I'm baffled...

Thanks everyone,

-madmax0r
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

Not sure about the 5.9 EGR but it sounds like there is a vacuum leak some where.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
madmax0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkdadhemi View Post
Not sure about the 5.9 EGR but it sounds like there is a vacuum leak some where.
Hmm,

a vacuum leak would lean out the combustion.. causing ping..

I'll spray some carb cleaner around tomorrow and see what I can find..

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
madmax0r

Hey, I just read that bad fuel injectors can cause pinging. If it were firing bad enough, it would probably put my idle out of whack.. any thoughts on that?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 PM
erm

How many miles on the truck?

A vacuum leak is a good thing to check for. Sometimes it's the simplest things that cause the most problems.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
21skippy13

I was on here looking for some answers to the very similar questions u have. I have a 2001 2500 with the 5.9L and i have the very same issues and i have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. i have an okay idle but at higher rpms and under load i have a pinging/knocking noise and i also everyonce in awhile hear a slight knock when the truck is just sitting there idling in park.
i am also looking for some answers....
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:67
Race1Mopar will become famous soon enough
Default Possible kegger?

I can tell you that EGR's were deleted in '96 on the Magnum motors. Mine is a '95 so I still had it on mine until I changed to a M1 intake. To me it sounds like if the design was still the same on your model, the intake kegger had a tendency to blow the gasket and allow oil to get into the intake. When this happened it created excessive gas consumption, detonation (pinging at high rpm's) and power loss. Call and ask your dealerand ask a few questions about your intake and see if the kegger design is the same.

Joe
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum Race1Mopar, we're glad to have you here. Don't forget to make your official welcome in the "Newbie Checkin" section
Old 05-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:67
Race1Mopar will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to go post in the newbie check in
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Raymond is on a distinguished road

i have been plagued with this problem for a week now, i have changed TPS twice,O2 sensor twice,map sensor,distributer,rotor,pickup,coil, changed the fuel pump twice,fuel filter/regulater just this morning!! needless to say my nights of sleep have been short thinking about this.... The truck runs great till almost up to temp then idles rough,the smell of the exhaust gets stronger then the check engine light comes on even a little blue smoke.Its not the EGR valve or any of the above!!! are you ready for this one????? i was ready to burn it this morning at my wits end when i thought i should check my vacuum lines again for probably the 40th time when i touched the PCV valve and the rough idle went away.... so i popped the PCV valve out of the valve cover and cleaned it up with carb cleaner!! the PCV valve isnt computer controlled so the ECM wont tell you its the problem. See what happened is the valve wasnt working properly to recycle the engine gases when passing the unburnt gases past the O2 sensor the sensor made a reading of rich gases, so it sent a message to the ECM to lean the engine out causing the engine to run warmer than normal and give you the a fault code, when its not really a fault code but the ECM trying to tell you what reconized the problem!!! I spent a large amount of money on all these sensors and sh#t to get my BUTT KICKED by a 4$ PCV valve!!!!! CHECK YOUR PCV VALVE FIRST!!! Truck runs great cold/warm no rough idle,no hesitation, and no blue smoke easier on oil and gas!! hope it works for you!