DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 AM
moparbird440

Default 97 Ram overcooling

Hello I am new to this site with a problem I can't figure out hoping everyone can help. I have a 97 dodge ram 4x4 5.9. I have no heat, temp gauge reads a little over 130. With the radiator cap off I don't notice any circulation and the coolant feels cool all hoses are cool. Also after driving the truck and opening the radiator cap there is no pressure. I replaced the water pump and the stat and still nothing so i replaced the stat again and still nothing please help its cold in Indiana by the lake. I posted my problem in the newbee section and was referred here. I was griven some suggestions like adding a new cap to the radiator and maybee a blocked heater core or the deverter valve. I am going to try adding the new cap. does anyone have any other ideas I can go on?
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

Didn't you post this already?

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

try this to see if it helps, theres a door behind the heater core under the dash (like a trap door!) check to see if it just flaps open then if so fix that problem also what you need to try and let the truck warm up you may have air pockets in the cooling system it may take a while for it to completely suck some coolant in if your not getting flow the best thing to do if you can find a coolant funnel that attaches to your radiator, im not familiar with stores out there in indy but try like tool truck or like a sears or something it cost me like 20 or 30 bucks and used it religiously but im also a tech lol but it'll help, you pour some coolant in the funnel let the truck warm up in like a garage ( also if doing this in a garage MAKE SURE NOT SUFFOCATING YOURSELF with the fumes ) with the blower off so that you can get the most out the heat theres a plug that sticks down the center of the funnel so when it looks like its ready to overflow, plug it then keep rechecking until its completely full also if your going to try this crimp the hose that leads to the overflow container otherwise your making a bigger headache for yourself but ive seen cars take as long as 45 minutes to completely get the air pockets out but try this if you will, let me know what the results are and ill further help you or you can take it to good shop and pay the 100 bucks having it flushed out then if they didnt fix it take it back and say it had heat but doesnt now? if you know what i mean but theres some advice for you, but like i said repost on this.

Last edited by ph3nom3non03; 01-17-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 AM
moparbird440

ok here is the update I pulled the truck into the garage tonight and let it run for about 40 min not including the drive home from work that is 20 min when I got it in the garage I took the cap of the rad. and there was no pressure I stood there and watched the water and about every 2 min I had air bubbles come up. it never did warm up past about 140 on the gauge and the water was luke warm to the touch. I am starting to think that the air in the system is the most logical. in the morning I am going to try and find the coolant funnel and try that to see if it works. also a friend of mine told me that they make stats with a little hole in them to reduce air pockets I'll pick up one of those also and try it.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

sounds good repost on this if any further problems
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
moparbird440

Just wanted everyone who posted that my problem is fixed it was air in the system.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 AM

its good to hear that, hope no future problems if so were all here to help