Odd problem when starting in the morning - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 11-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
tlittle08 is on a distinguished road
Default Odd problem when starting in the morning

I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with the 4.7. I have had this truck for 10 years and had 50k when purchased. The truck now has 230k and still has the original motor and trans, neither of which have been rebuilt. I have performed all basic maintenance since purchased. No major problems since I have had it. I really love my truck and would not get rid of it for any reason, has not let me down. I have a problem now which I am somewhat unsure of what to do. When I first crank the vehicle in the morning, it blows a black sooty substance from the exhaust pipe. I can put a white board in front of the exhaust and crank it and it looks like a shotgun blast. There is also a little puff of dark smoke. It only happens in the morning. The oil is fine, the coolant is fine, the plugs are fine, truck runs great, has plenty of power and will still smoke the tires. I am not sure if the gas mileage has changed, haven't noticed a noticeable difference. It has an aftermarket intake and exhaust that I put on when purchased. Still has the original cat but runs strong, so I don't think that is part of the problem. I am thinking possibly the O2 sensors? I have not changed either one of them since I have had the vehicle. I was thinking that is was maybe showing to lean, and adding more fuel which it doesn't need which could be blowing out the rear? I do all my own work on vehicles, but just want some other opinion on what I should check next. I forgot to mention, no codes are being shown even with a scanner. Sorry post is so long but I didn't want people asking me to check the plugs or other nonsense that I check or change on a regular schedule. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 MDS
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Austin Tan Pearl 2-Tone
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Cltremblay is on a distinguished road

The color of the smoke tells all!
White = Coolant, Blue = Oil, and black = Unburned fuel.

It's possible that the fuel injector nozzles may be starting to get plugged up causing a rich (Fuel Not Properly Atomized) condition upon start up. It may also be leaking injector seals causing fuel system leak down over night into one more of the engine's cylinders causing a rich condition in the cylinder at start up. Nothing all that uncommon at that mileage. If that is the only time you're seeing a black puff of smoke, I wouldn't be overly concerned. You can try running some fuel injector cleaner over the next few FULL tanks of fuel and see if the problem clears up. Also, check to make sure your engine air filter is clean and unrestricted.

Last edited by Cltremblay; 11-15-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
tlittle08 is on a distinguished road

It is really hard to tell what color it is. More blue or black. I know its not white. I have an aftermarket intake which I clean every other oil change, so I don't think that's the problem. I didn't think about the injectors. Is that a problem that happens with these trucks? Can I just replace the seals without replacing the injectors? I usually run fuel injector cleaner at least once every few months. I have never changed the o2 sensors either, that's why I thought it could be a problem. Is there a way to ohm out the injectors to see if they are working? I thank you for your response. I have been working on cars all my life, but do run across things on occasion I have problems with. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement