DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road
Default HID Install.. Work IN Progress

I just thought I would share some pics of the install work that I have done, I am not up and running as of yet, but I thought I would share some of my setup, as to maybe inspire some others of what needs to be done, or how to get this working.. and there are always ways to improve.. I know this isn't perfect, but its a pretty decent job as far as I am concerned.
Here goes......
What I did was mounted all the kit, the two ballasts etc. under the hood on the front frame rad supports, pics be posted on full detailed write up later on.. the main part of this write up is to cover the "lamp out" issue... which is untested at this point, but should work. I attempted to use only 1 power wirewound resistor on the drivers side, on the low, and ground leads, and 1 resistor on the passenger side, on the hi beam and ground leads there. This was un-successful. What I will show in my pictures is the way I have made a plug in lamp out fix. Take a broken or new 9007 bulb. Wrap it in paper, or kleenex, something to basically catch all the glass.. I put mine in a plastic ziploc bag, and then grab a pair of channel locks. Give the bulb a good squeeze. It should "pop" and leave you with bits of glass everywhere. Next thing you need to do is remove all the little tid bits of glass, and the 2 metal bases, one is stuck, attached to the base of the bulb, and the other is inside the plastic housing... you need to pry the lower housing tabs off of the upper metal base. Once removed you can have access to the 3 leads. Looking at the bulb plug, with the nub faceing up. The right lead is for hi beam, the middle is ground , and the left is low beam. Now that you know all of that, you can attach your resistors. I used 25watt 10 ohm, "Dale brand" power wirewound resistors, these have the aluminum heatsink on them. I plan on attaching mine to another larger heatsink with some thermal paste as well, to help dissipate the heat. But here are a couple of pics of the light. I will get some pics of the final product later.. and this was just a first make/model of it. I feel I could do much better on the next one if I needed to make it.

BTW - My camera took some very crappy pictures... would probably have been better from my cell phone than it!!!! EEK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulb11.JPG (96.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bulb22.JPG (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg bulb33.JPG (91.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bulb44.JPG (87.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Danstona; 02-11-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue/Silver
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:642
GT is a name known to allGT is a name known to allGT is a name known to allGT is a name known to allGT is a name known to allGT is a name known to all

Great post man! Thanks for sharing! Keep us informed as to the rest of the project!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
erm

Keep at it. Lookin' good so far!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:12
kenny senter is on a distinguished road

but your pictures suck, lol.

Its hard to see clearly what you're talking about. Try adding more light to your subject and pull it farther away from your camera so it will focus in on your subject.

Thanks for the write-up
Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Cool writeup so far! Keep us update!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:31
Fast Willy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fast Willy

If you need any help I did a write up a while back with pics if you need any help we are all here to help. Keep up the great work.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post
If you need any help I did a write up a while back with pics if you need any help we are all here to help. Keep up the great work.
Yeah, thanks.. I did read your write up too.. I just thought I would share my experience with a write up too.. this kit is also from another manufacturer... off of the nitroforumz, but otherwise its probably close to the same. I have ran into a few problems, or snags if you would. I think I have everything working now, I have to wait until dark to see... I'm not sure that my high beam on the passengers side is actually working. I also bought the foglight kit, but can't seem to get it to work at all! I thought it was going to be easier for the fact that its 100% plug and play... no adding parts or troubleshooting should be required beings its all straight forward. I'm going to redo this thread, and I do apologize for the poor quality pictures, seems it focused on the background instead of the foreground.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Rep:23
07HEMI is on a distinguished road

Great read.