DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: BLK
Rep:19
suparam is on a distinguished road
Default 05' engine noise

Well ladies and gents, i'm new here so if there's a thread on here about what i'm asking, please give me a little longer to search or point me to it please.....
Anyway back to the subject. I have an 05 and it makes this wierd squeaking noise as if it were the belt. it does this when i'm accelerating from a low speed or driving 35 and under.
One guy i talked to told me he brought his in to the dealer and they changed the belt and checked everything out and it STILL did it. he traded his in cuz it bothered him too much. Anyone knows what this could be?

05' ram 1500 4.7l v8 pretty much bone stock

and i don't know if this is the right spot in the forum but my check engine light comes on and stays on for like a week or 2 and cuts off for about another couple weeks. when it comes on i get it checked and it says something about the egr valve. the guy said he didn't even know they still had egr valves for this truck. can anyone tell me where it would be and how could i fix it?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

did you try using a penetrate like with the truck running in park while under the hood? rev the truck up and see if its doing it in front of you i always use like a rust penetrate or brake clean, check your idler pulley or the tensioner see if its coming from there if you had a stetoscope kinda like what nurse etc. wear but a rod to see maybe more where its coming from would help because it could also be your distrubuter making the racket, trial and error let us know where its really noisy also the check engine light as long as its not flashing i would still have a shop try and freeze frame it to dial it down but its flashing most likely scenario your burning up your catylic convertor but dont drive it flashing its a big no no lol
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: BLK
Rep:19
suparam is on a distinguished road

thanks. and no it's not flashing lol. and i never tried it in park. never even thought to do that

any advice on that egr valve? where can i find it? or anyone know of a site where i can see an exploded view of it?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram Quad cab Hemi
Color: Silver
Rep:10
stacker32001 is on a distinguished road
Default EGR Valve

I dont know if you still need this, but my Hemi threw an EGR valve code a couple of weeks back. It was a simple replacement on mine but I think that the EGR valve on yours is harder to get to. I picked mine up at autozone. I found out about the location of it by also buying the Haynes manual for my truck.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default heater hose

Use a piece of heater hose as a stethascope.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The noise could be from a bearing in the alt, tensioner, idler, etc. I can about guarantee you need a new EGR valve. I've installed 3 on Hemi's in the last week.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Poppie Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
OUbubba is on a distinguished road

I've got a similar problem on my 2003 quad cab with the 4.7. My power steering pump was leaking from the front seal so i replaced it. From there i washed off all the power steering fluid from the front of the motor. Ever since then i've had this anoying rattle from the front of the motor like bad bearings. It sounded like the idler or tensioner pulleys, so i replaced both of them with no luck. Still had the sound! It kinda echos in front of the engine, so its hard to pinpoint. The alternator was making alil noise so i replaced it next. Still no luck. I've removed the drive belt and ran the engine and theres no noise at all. Only other thing i can think that is might be the fan clutch? The sound only appears around 1100 - 2000 rpms.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Take the belt off and start the engine. Is the noise still there?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Poppie Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
OUbubba is on a distinguished road
Default Finaly located the noise!!!

Ok i got to noticing that once it got warm outside the noise i was hearing wasn't as loud. It had to be the fan clutch, so while changing out the water pump on my parents 2000 ram sport, I had to borrow a fan clutch removal tool from Oreily's. While having it I took the fan clutch off mine, no more knocking noise! So i spent $59 on a Hayden clutch, put it on and no more knocking noise!!! Now if I can figure out how to keep my exhaust manifold bolts from snapping off I'd be happy
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

If you keep snapping the manifold bolts, perhaps you should take the manifolds off and have them leveled at a machine shop. Chances are they're warped.