DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default 2009 SLT, DIY "Spray in" (roll-in) bed liner coming, a few questions...

Ok, so last summer, my buddy brought me is 05 Ram Single/SWB 1500 4x4 Sport in Yellow. He told me he wanted a bedliner. We went to autozone and looked at a couple of different brands, and Herculiner stood out as a winner. For $79.99 for a gallon+$39.99 for an extra quart, we did his entire truck bed. Herculiner seems to be (by my eyes) identical to a spray in bedliner in every way, except its application. It is rolled on with a special paint roller (everything is provided in the kit for $79.99), and the corners/hard to reach areas get dabbed on with a paintbrush. Believe it or not, That bedliner looks amazing. It took a gallon+a quart to cover up the yellow, and we had to do some rust repair because it had a plastic bedliner in it (like mine ) prior to him deciding to do a real liner. I challenge anyone to tell the difference between his roll on, and most spray on bedliners. It seems to be durable too. We have been tossing crap (you name it, its been in there) into that truck box for months now. We have scraped snowblowers across the tailgate, thrown cinder blocks and large rocks into the bed, and not so much as a nick. For $150 (ish), and a weekend, it looks entirely professional, and still to this day I can't believe it isn't.

So...I want to do it for my 2009....but there are a few problems with this idea. First, the bed rail caps. Yeah, those fugly plastic things that go along the sides of the bed, and along the tailgate? I want them gone, I want to put the Herculiner over the bed/gate rails like I did on my buddy's 05. However, they appear to be inlaid into the body. It looks like if I remove them, the bed sides are going to look really, really funny. Has anyone taken their 09+'s bed rail covers off? How did you do it and whats it look like under there? If I have to leave them on I will, but I really want the Herculiner over the sides of the bed and gate about 1/2 an inch down if at all possible, without looking like a total tard.

Next question is, does anyone have any LONG TERM experience with Herculiner? Is it durable for at least 3-5 years? I mean hell, for the price, even if I have to redo it every 2 years or touch it up every year, I can live with that, it sure beats $800 for a Rhino lining.

Does anyone know of a product thats just as good but cheaper? or have had better luck with a product slightly more expensive? The herculiner has been decent, the key is to follow the directions precisely.

And lastly, does anyone have a pic of a 2009+ Ram without a box-style bedliner in it? I want to know what kind of angles and stuff I will have to cover so I know about how much I need to buy. Because once I start this, I cannot drive the truck again till its dry, and Autozone is 15 miles from here.

Thanks and sorry for the long read ya'll.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-07-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: rewording...
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:13
Grumpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Herculiner is identical to a spray in bedliner in every way, except its application.
No, that's totally incorrect.

Herculiner (specifically) is a moisture cure solvent based polyurethane. Actually, it's almost a third solvent (72%), so for every gallon of Herc you buy, you're really only getting 3/4 of a gallon of actual bedliner material, the solvents evaporate away. Herculiner is not even near the durability of professional bedliners (see below). Herc recommends two coats which is 29 to 39 mils thick. That's not a "bedliner", that's a slip resistant surface. 39 mils is .039 inches. Dry time is 1.5 to 3 hours, full cure is 4 days.

Compare to LINE-X: LINE-X is not moisture cure, does not contain any solvents, and contains polyurethane and polyurea. Dealers apply about 8 gallons in a truck bed, the floor is about 125 mils which is .125 inches. So, to get the same out of Herculiner, you'll need to buy about 10 to 11 gallons of Herc. According to Herc's specifications, the Taber abrasion was 30.5 grams lost, LINE-X is only .1525 grams lost. That's a HUGE difference. LINE-X's heat/high pressure application is a superior method, other professional companies use the same method. LINE-X gives you a nationwide limited lifetime warranty. Herc, no warranty. Dry time is 4 seconds, full cure is 1 day.

With Herc, you will need paper, tape, gloves, rollers, and about 2 days. LINE-X takes about 2.5 hours while you sip on a Frappuccino.

If Herc works for you, then that's great, but it's not in the same league as a professional bedliner.

EDITED: Oops misread some of the first post.

Last edited by Grumpy; 12-07-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No, that's totally incorrect.

Herculiner (specifically) is a moisture cure solvent based polyurethane. Actually, it's almost a third solvent (72%), so for every gallon of Herc you buy, you're really only getting 3/4 of a gallon of actual bedliner material, the solvents evaporate away. Herculiner is not even near the durability of professional bedliners (see below). Herc recommends two coats which is 29 to 39 mils thick. That's not a "bedliner", that's a slip resistant surface. 39 mils is .039 inches. Dry time is 1.5 to 3 hours, full cure is 4 days.

Compare to LINE-X: LINE-X is not moisture cure, does not contain any solvents, and contains polyurethane and polyurea. Dealers apply about 8 gallons in a truck bed, the floor is about 125 mils which is .125 inches. So, to get the same out of Herculiner, you'll need to buy about 10 to 11 gallons of Herc. According to Herc's specifications, the Taber abrasion was 30.5 grams lost, LINE-X is only .1525 grams lost. That's a HUGE difference. LINE-X's heat/high pressure application is a superior method, other professional companies use the same method. LINE-X gives you a nationwide limited lifetime warranty. Herc, no warranty. Dry time is 4 seconds, full cure is 1 day.

With Herc, you will need paper, tape, gloves, rollers, and about 2 days. LINE-X takes about 2.5 hours while you sip on a Frappuccino.

If Herc works for you, then that's great, but it's not in the same league as a professional bedliner.
See, this is why I ask these things. Seems more of a instance of not conveying my thoughts as clearly as I should. I understand its probably not in the same league as a pro. I should have said "It SEEMS to be identical..." that would be a more truthful statement. I have edited the original post. Fact of the matter is, I do not KNOW the differences, but they look the same to me and likely to the average consumer as well, so my apologies for the miswording. Now where can I get this Line-X? Google FTW.

Is Line-X a spray in? or can I roll it on like herc? I dont intend to be doing any serious hauling in the bed, I just HATE the plastic bin thing. I dont do construction, I haul lumber every now and then and concrete/gravel once in a while...just average truck bed use. Would you say I should go ahead and pop for the pro job? Or will herc fit the bill? My biggest thing is, I dont want to have to pay more to get the crap off if I end up needing a heavier duty liner later on.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 12-07-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Rhino should not cost you $800. I got a really good deal on mine ... About $385 out the door. I think typical cost is about $100 more.

I have it in my '09 but I warn you that the beds are all different shapes depending on exact option combo. You probably don't want to remove the rail caps unless you also want to get some body work done. My understanding is that there are holes they are mounted in that go all the way through the rails. Take a peek under the lip and you will see what I mean.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Line-X spray in, i really like it & if you should some how gouge it, they fix it for you, Dodge paid for it, instead of tossing in the POS drop in plastic thing

The new Rams will have a spray in if requested

If i didn't need a spray in, i could have put in a damn good alternative, its called a BedRug & has a Lifetime warranty, some dealerships will get it & install it for you, but, some members in here have installed it themselves
I believe the bedrug from the dealership has a Rams head logo on it
http://www.bedrug.com/products/bedrug.php

a short video http://www.impactmovie.com/bedrug/

the installation video
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Ins...iner-227177338
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Rhino should not cost you $800. I got a really good deal on mine ... About $385 out the door. I think typical cost is about $100 more.

I have it in my '09 but I warn you that the beds are all different shapes depending on exact option combo. You probably don't want to remove the rail caps unless you also want to get some body work done. My understanding is that there are holes they are mounted in that go all the way through the rails. Take a peek under the lip and you will see what I mean.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Not sure how that happened. Any admin feel free to delete this along with my double post.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 AM
US Army Retired

I did not buy my truck new, and in Northern NY, there are only 2 places that do spray in liners within a 100 mile radius. The competition is an hour and a half drive. So they can charge more or less what they want. I wish I was back in TX, competition keeps prices low. LOL. I may just go ahead and do either Rust-O-Leum Road Warrior or Herculiner, havent really decided yet.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

There are pictures of my 2009 in my gallery
http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/s...php/photo/2313

It's Ultimate Xtreme which is a hot spray-in very similar to Line-X. The spray-in applications allow you to be a bit more creative (if you're interested). I did a stencil in mine. Line-X now comes in UV-resistant colors as well. There are all kinds of options limited only by your imagination and, in some cases, pocket book.

I would recommend a spray-in. Even though you don't think you'll need their durability, you'll do something with it and cut/peel it. With a professional installation, you can get it fixed (usually for free). Prep work is VERY important with all bed-liners (except the drop-ins and bed rug). If you don't get a good 'tooth' they won't stick and they'll peel in a short time. Install problems would be covered by warranty (I think Rhino, Line-X and Ultimate all have limited lifetime warranties now).

Unless you're up for some creative body work (which it doesn't sound like you are), you don't want to mess with the bed rail caps. They are held on @ (4) points by plastic, square profile push-lock pins. When removed, they leave behind (4) 1/2" square holes that have to be plugged before you put on the bed-liner. Also, the caps are indented into the bed side (as you've already noticed). That little recess that would be left when removing the cap would ruin the lines of the bed, IMHO. I don't think you'll like it.

There is at least (1) company that makes a replacement cap out of polished SS, I believe, that doesn't look too bad. I wasn't digging the shiny look so I didn't get them. They sit inside the existing recess thus preserving the lines of the bed. The thought had crossed my mind to get a pair and have them sprayed prior to installation. That might be a consideration. I don't know what you'd be looking at in terms of cost though.

Good luck with the research and be sure and post pictures of your final solution. We love pictures!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

You could also check out Vortex spray in liners. They are a portable unit that can come to you to spray. Cost around me is around $350 lifetime warranty too.