DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
FoxGetzSickWitIt

Default I screwed something up

About two nights ago I had a deer run out out in front of my Truck, so locked the brakes up on the truck. Afterwards my ABS indicator came on and the Park Brake indicator came on and they wont go off. I didn't hit any thing and my brakes feel spongy now. Also it seems like I have a slight rumble in the front end. Please let me know If there's anything you can do to help me out

Thanks,

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 XLT Cab
318 5.2 liter
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
07USMC3.7L

Well, the spongy brakes can be caused by either a leak in your brake lines, or air in your braking system. Those brake lights are kinda like CEL except for brakes. You might even have cracked you caliper piston. When was the last time you replaced your brake pad/rotors. The shuddering could also be a warpped rotor or a bubble in your tires. Give them a good feel around and make sure your tires are servicable. if anything new comes up like sounds or smells, post it.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07USMC3.7L View Post
Well, the spongy brakes can be caused by either a leak in your brake lines, or air in your braking system. Those brake lights are kinda like CEL except for brakes. You might even have cracked you caliper piston. When was the last time you replaced your brake pad/rotors. The shuddering could also be a warpped rotor or a bubble in your tires. Give them a good feel around and make sure your tires are servicable. if anything new comes up like sounds or smells, post it.
x2....slamming on the breaks can put excessive pressure on the break lines and if they are either old or have a soft spot they can crack...the excessive pressure could have also forced a little bit of air into the system as well...but its better then hitting the deer lol

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Stone White
Rep:14
BlownAMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoSRT View Post
but its better then hitting the deer lol
amen, don't swerve to avoid animals... either hit the brakes or hit the animals.

I would trace the brake lines to check for fluid... also check the area where the crimped parts meet the rubber line. I'm not sure how the dodge ABS system is made up, but if they have one, check the ABS gear, if it sheered teeth off it can have an adverse affect on braking, and can be the rumble you feel.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
erm

What I can add here is:

1. Bleed your system and replace the fluid.
2. Consider replacing your rubber brake lines. I usually replace mine with braided stainless steel lines at my first opportunity. On of them may have bulged under the strain and that will create that "spongy" feeling.
3. Check rotor and pad condition. One of the pads may have cracked. One of the rotors may have gotten scored and needs to be turned. In this case, you'd turn all 4 and replace all pads.
4. Check for any loose ABS sensors.
5. To clear the codes, you can find the Auto Shut Off/PCM fuse, make sure your key is off, pull the fuse, wait one minute, reinsert the fuse and turn your truck on. The codes should clear.

Hope this helps!