DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Big Country

Default Air Filters

I have been researching a bit about the best kind of drop in air filter to get for my Ram. I haven't made up my mind about an intake yet, and if I do get one I will have my buddy that owns a performance shop make me one. He has already told me he wants to do it.

Anyway, I have been hearing for a couple years now that air filters such as K&N (where they are basically oiled gauze/cotton) aren't necessarily the best way to go. While these type of filters give great air flow (at least initially), they are actually bad at stopping the smaller particles of dirt. Not to mention when they become dirty, which will be 80% of the time while in the vehicle between cleanings, their flow rate decreases a great deal.

There are two air filters that are catching my eye at this point.

The Amsoil Ea Air filters look very nice and are the most appealing right now. They use nano fiber technology to catch the smallest of particles yet still flow extremely well. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx They also have them for the 09 Ram. From what I can tell though, it appears as though the same size filter has been used for the Ram (for the 5.7 anyway) since the 2003 model. http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA176-EA

The second is the TrueFlow foam air filters. These are the same filters that are used in the XDi intake which is available for the 09 Ram. They claim their foam filter, while it doesn't flow as much initially, will flow the same even once it gets dirty, plus it doesn't allow anywhere near the amount of dirt through the filter as the oiled gauze filters. http://www.trueflow.com/premiumairfilters.php Here is a video demonstration of their filter

The filter # for them for the Ram's with the 5.7 is #30201.

So has anybody had any experiences with these two filters? Here is some kind of a test that someone performed on air filters with some interesting results. http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
erm

I've used TrueFlow before. Not bad but one of the best I've found is the AFE filter line. Not sure if they make a drop in for the 5.7L Ram but it's worth checking out.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Big Country

Looks like you could get the AFE Pro Dry filter for a drop in. For some reason they don't show one for years 07 and 08 but from everything I have seen they are the same filter for all years of the HEMI in the Ram.

The AFE Pro Dry is pretty similar to the Amsoil filter. Basically the same principal. I have heard good things about AFE stuff so I'm sure it's a good filter as well.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

.amsoil dryflow is the way to go...I run one on my ramhammer..
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Hemi QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Almond Metallic
Rep:35
Heminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Heminator Send a message via Yahoo to Heminator

I used the True flow filter for a couple of years and got tired of cleaning it. I changed over to the Amsoil EA filter and love it. I highly recommend the EA filter, it works.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
07HEMI is on a distinguished road

That's a interesting video .
Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mabster1962 is on a distinguished road

HMMMM that is a very interesting video. I wonder if they make a foam filter for cold air intakes?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Reg Cab S/B 4X4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:199
Blackzilla has a spectacular aura aboutBlackzilla has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Blackzilla

this weekend try'n a kn filter i never used see if it fits......the air box looks the same size.......just got mine home yesterday.
Mods....Mopar CAI,Mufflex 14'' Retro,Mufflex 5'' Blk Tips,3M C/F Stripes,Blk Shortie Antenna,Low Profile Tonneau,20% Tint,De-Badge,5% Tint Front Stripe,In-Channel AVS,LED Rear Light Bar,Blk Interior Dash Kit, SilverStars High/Low/Fogs,Blk Chrome Shadow Badges,BT Blk Raptor Shifter Knob,Blk Dash Mat
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

IMO theres not a big enough difference between the vairous drop in filters to make a difference one way or another

I have had K&N, Green Filters, AFE's blah blah blah and they are all pretty much the same when you get down to it....

just what i have seen!

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Big Country

Yeah, I would agree with that for the most part. I just wanted away from the filters you had to oil.

I wound up going with the Amsoil filter. We will see how it does. You just have to clean it by blowing air through it with an air hose once a year or every 25,000 miles. The thing that surprised me were the two strips of glue on the side with the pleats. Amsoil said it's there to help "stabilize the pleats." They could have done a little bit better job of it if you ask me...lol. The stock filter had the same kind of thing, only executed much better. Here are a few pics of the Amsoil filter (light blue) and also compared to the stock filter.