DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 5.7 Quad
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Rep:32
07Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Problem 07 Hemi

I posted thread the other day regarding a problem I was having with my transmission. 2007 5.7 Hemi.

PROBLEM: Driving at a slow speed I notice that the truck seemed to shift from a stop through the first two gears smoothly and then it seemed to jump into an overdirve mode and the truck motor sounded sluggish. I have heard talk about the MDS and it seems the truck is jumping into this mode even at 20-0 MPH. I really notce the difference now that I put a FlowMaster 50HD exhaust system on the truck. The closest comparision to thi sproblem sounds just like if you would shift a manual transmission into sixth gear after pulling out from a stop. If I step on the throttle the truck seems to shift down into a proper gear.

Took it to the dealer today and they ran an update for the computer. All that was loaded was an update that was for the tranny, but it was for hard shifting which I do not have. Problem still exists.

Dos anyone have a Hemi that does this. Is this normal or not? Could the torque converter be the problem? Does a light come on when a torque converter problem exists?

Look forward to hearing from the Hemi owners.

07Ram
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

YEP- - -Put her in Tow Haul Mode while driving around the small roads and then go back to regular on the Highway. You are going into MDS early because of your light right foot. OR, just give her a little more gas and all will be good. You actually save more fuel getting up to speed a little quicker then if you baby it. Takes more time and burns the same if not a little more fuel
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Why would they design a tranny like this? The motor sounds like hell with a hypo exhaust system and the in and out of MDS drives me crazy. I love the truck and the power but the kicking in and out of MDS is the pits. Is it safe to drive all the time TOW or OD/OFF mode? Is there any way to disable the MDS? I dont like it.

07Ram
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2006 4*4 3/4 Quad, 5.9 Auto
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Khaki
Rep:12
cerres is on a distinguished road

07, I'm highly inclined to agree with Boost... a little more aggressive use of the gas pedal could very well resolve all the issues. It's not as if Dodge built a funny or strange gear box but rather they built a gear box capable of offering the highest mileage possible.
I own an 06 diesel Ram. I can tell you without doubt, when I'm not a little aggressive with the pedal the transmission literally gets "lost" on as what it's usppose to do however, if I drive it a little more aggressively, the transmission acts great.
Try it and see what happens... if not then Boost and I are both full of caca... but I don't think so.

Last edited by cerres; 02-19-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I know what you mean by stepping on it a little to keep it out of the dragging mode. There are times when I just cant step on it and thats when it make the sound. Before I put on the FlowMaster exhaust you really could not tell hear the sound the trucks makes in this gear or mode. Now that the exhaust is on you can really hear when the MDS kicks the trcuk into either 4 cylinders or overdrive at say 20-30 MPH. A few of my friends who own older Hemi's noticed the sound the truck made when the MDS kicked in. They wer t he ones who told to get this checked out it sounded horrible. One thought it may have been teh torque converter.

The funny thing is I had in the shop four times for this problem and the service managers had no idea what I as talking about. Funny, you guys can pin point the issue I am having and someone who services the vehicles has no clue.

Is it safe to drive in teh city say under 50 MPH in the OD/OFF or TOW mode? Which one woudl you suggest? I hate hearing the constant kicking in and out of gears.

I guess its just the way the tranny was built. I personally do not like it. The sound is terrible with a a hypo exhaust.

Thanks for the input, I thought was an isolated case.

07Ram
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

I bet it does sound strange in MDS mode... the original muffler was engineered to keep noise to a minimum whereas your new muffler isn't baffled in the same manner and when the puter puts 4 cylinders to sleep the tail pipe takes on an incredibly different sound... I'd love to hear this... at any rate, when in town, try running around in second instead... As for tow haul, it's capable of doing anything you can possibly throw at it.... I do it with the diesel as well sometimes... especially when traffic goes kaput and the transmission gets lost in the lust!
Don't blame the engineers... they're under the gun to meet such an incredible list of requirements, mileage being the biggest.
Neither here nor there but years ago when I was part of a somewhat elite group of Engineers, their biggest gripe was to make something reliable to where an 80 year old could drive it yet strong and performance minded enough to where an 18 year old couldn't break it... at any rate, let me know what happens... I am curious
Bill
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I understand the engineering side of the problem I am having, now days you must satisfy everyone. And you are right on the money when you spoke about the resonator, once removed all sounds are amplified with an after market exhaust. I feel better this is not an isolated case, but wish motor did not sound like it was dying when cylinders shut down.

Thanks again for the reponse.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM

I'd give my left gonad to hear your pickup when it goes into MDS... I suppose it's the price we pay to have a few extra dodads and gadgets on our pickups... Always wanted to add a MBRP dual exhaust to my pickup but I can't stand the continual farting noise I've heard others make... besides, I don't think I'd put up with the racket inside the cab for long either..
All else fails, we'll split a case of Corona....
Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

I sent you a PM........ Yes, drive it in Tow mode while in town. It will actually help out with the mileage. Also helps to never really lug the engine. Plus you will not have to hear the MDS kicking in and out. There is a MDS Delete that another guy on there has. I would just hit the button and run like that until I get out on the Highway. Right before you pull onto the on ramp hit the button twice and you are back to regular mode with MDS..... I cannot beleive that the TEC at the Dealership could not figure this out ..... Find another Dealership or Tec..... Good Luck
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Actually two dealerships looked at it and the problem was written down both times explaining the problem. It is amazing! These are well trained techs now days.