DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Rep:13
rdmedranoo is on a distinguished road
Default General question about Ram before buying one

Hello Fellows...

well this is my first question i hope i do not say anything wrong, ok here i go:

i am planning to buy a truck, but since trucks are very expensive in my country i am planning to buy my truck at a car auction, like copart. But i am not sure what type of truck i need, what i am sure is that i need a Diesel Engine. But which is a good truck?? Silverado, Ram, F250, Sierra, etc??

i've read that Ram 2500 is a great truck

here is what i need:

1) Fuel Economy
2) Comfort
3) Power
4) Crew Cab

i am more into the RAM 2500 but i am really confused about how to buy a Ram that has a very nice MPG, but i've seen in this forum as well as in other forums that people talks about 3,73 gear axles or something like that...

how can i know which Ram version will be more fuel efficient?? can someone explain me about the axles thing and 4.10 3.73 gear...

also since i am planning to buy the car at a auction, i've notice that when the VIN begins with 3D... its the Diesel engine??? but how can i detect the axles and the gear thing??

thanks very much for your time and for your answers

i hope i was able to explain myself lol
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

Look in the glove box for Gearing. You will want the 48re Auto with 3.73 Gears for Mileage. 2wd will be better on Mileage but not that much different then 4x4. The Cummins Diesel is reliable and bulletproof. Check out Diesel Truck Rescourse (DTR) for everything on the Dodge Diesel.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 AM

thanks for your reply my friend, but the problem is that since i am in Honduras, i will buy he truck through online auction in the US, is there any other way to find out the gear, but whats the 3.73 means?? so i will go for the 4x4 then
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Trim Level: ?
Color: Red
Rep:14
Djzone is on a distinguished road

um i'm not any kind of ram expert, but i got a 2002 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L quad cab, or crew cab, w/e, but i drive in city most, kind of heavy foot....i'm young, but i average 13.5mpg, i think 2002 and up they tell you the mpg, if i'm going a steady speed, like between 30-40 it shows 18-20mpg, on the highway going 70, i average about 18, so i drive about 55-60 and get about 21mpg, at 50 i get even better..like 22-24, but i would totally go with a 2500 cummins, they get alot more better mpg, i've seen one that had a lift and hudge tires that averaged 18mpg, plus with the programmers they have for the cummins, you can get way better mpg, if you want you can go to like bullydog.com and check out their's, i'd probally got it if i had a cummins

as far as comfort, i enjoy sitting in mine lol, its not uncomfortable at all, lots of room, i'm sure 2500 isn't verry different, if its different at all, i've only driven one 2500, and it was a cummins, i would have gladly taken it over anything else...

power wise, if your looking for a 2500 like you said you were more into, i'd make sure it was a cummins, i read on the dodge site that their 09 cummins have 350hp and 650 lb/ft of torque...stock, so you get good mpg on highway and all that power, for a big truck that is...

um i'm not sure what to say about the crew cab, theres lots of room? i've taken a ride in a mega cab, those things are hudge inside

i dunno much about the gears in the rear end or anything, but good luck, hope i helped a lil bit

GO CUMMINS!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 AM

wow!! thanks Djzone... your information is very very nice!! so there is one point for the cummins, i'll take a look at the site you mentioned....
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Trim Level: ?
Color: Red
Rep:14
Djzone is on a distinguished road

lol yeah man, anytime i can help..
Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 2006 4*4 3/4 Quad, 5.9 Auto
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Khaki
Rep:12
cerres is on a distinguished road

Here you are.
The Duramax has a design life of 250,000 miles. It's an oversquare engine (more bore than stroke) of which is great if you need rpm to do the work. It's coupled to an Allison 1000 automatic. Originally the transmission was designed for 610 pounds of input torque. The engine can develop 660 pounds of torque... The transmission was beefed to do the job but in the end their life isn't what it should be.

The Powerstroke has justly earned the nickname Powerjoke! It's problematic. The powerjoke was also a 250,000 mile engine. The automatic Ford put behind it spends more time overheating than it does working... if you're planning to tow heavy loads, bring a lunch so the transmission can cool down on the side of the road.

The Cummins is an undersquare engine (smaller bore than stroke) thereby giving it an incredible amount of torque just off idle. It's also the most proven engine to be installed in any consumer truck, anywhere on the planet. It's tough enough to where Mercury Marine rates it at 480hp in marine trim, the most severe of all applications. Transmission wise, When tests were done using the Allison, the Cummins took it apart. Accordingly Chrysler builds their own gear box and it is tough... so tough, it's the transmission used behind the fastest and quickest 1/4 diesel dragster. Pretty much ends this argument, doesn't it. Add to it, the Cummins service life is over twice that of the other offerings for roughly the same price...

Friends I have who own the Powerjoke tell me they get about 13mpg on the highway, the Duramax about the same... I, along with a myriad of others with the Cummins do considerably better... 24 to 26 in town, 23 on the highway.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

if you're buying the truck at an online auction, (I am guessing you're talking about ebay or something similar). You should be able to ask the seller what the rear end gear ratio is. Take the time to ask the seller any and all questions that you may have about the truck before you place your bid.

If the seller is unable or unwilling to provide this info, then I'd find a different truck from a seller who can provide it.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2006 4*4 3/4 Quad, 5.9 Auto
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Khaki
Rep:12
cerres is on a distinguished road

Now I can add a little more.
The HD Rams are diesel powered and they've all the same rear end ratio. The 07 plus year vehicles have a 6 speed automatic... with that said, two of the gears are overdrive.
We've a short bed quad. The reason we opted for it over the Mega cab is the turning radius. The mega is an incredible and roomy cab with its own A/C, etc but it's not city-friendly... it's just too long. The Quad on the other hand, not like it's nimble but it goes through town much easier.
I've a friend a few doors down who has a megacab... For him it's an incredibly practical vehicle as he's the room for his tribe (4 kids) and the power to pull his toy hauler.

Unless you're a ford or chevy fanatic, there's no contest...
Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM

dear Cerresm my friend you've just impressed me.. wow! nice info
well like you said it seems no contest about it, Cummins is definetely the best choice! as i understood... because fuel economy, longer life time, nice for hard work, etc

the most important thing i'm looking is for fuel economy, and know i am sure cummins is a relatively a low mpg engine with a great power

thanks very very much for your information!

PD I love the mega cab but i agree with you, driving in town has to be a headache