DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Quadrider712

Default engine and trany swap help!!!!

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500. It is 2 wheel drive, automatic trans, and a 5.2 v8 fuel injected. I would like to essentially swap the engine and tranny to match that of a 1995 model. Would i still need my computer seeing as how the engine will change to carburated, and the transmission to hydrolic instead of electronic? The other problem when i do this is that i won't be able to do them both at the same time, i will have to do the transmission first and then save up enough money to do th engine swap. If i change the transmission and the computer is still connected to the engine, will it look for the tranmission and see it as missing and not work, becuase there will no longer be a connection from the tranny to that computer. I was also told that the 95 and 96 transmissions are EXACTALLY the same except for one being electronic and the other hydrollically controlled. Is this true? I was also told that i could flash the computer to a 1995 to solve this problem... any ideas??? The next problem is that i cannot get my engine past 2500 rpm and even to get it there is very hard. Once i get there if i hit the pedal any harder it just bogs WAAAAAAY down and gets quite a bit louder. The sound is almost like it is being governed though... It does it even in neutral. My transmission is also on its way out because i have to let off the gas to shift into any gear and its an auto. Both of these problems make it VERY fun to try and go on the Highway. 0-60 in about.... o 3 minutes or so... man that sounds so lame. Any help would be much appreciated! I am also new to the forum so HELLO to every one!!! Thanks again
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Quadrider712

I really hope some one has some feedback at least for me!!! Im dian here, some one please help
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
erm

Well, what I'd suggest is that if you are going to do that swap, you swap out the engine management system (harness and PCM) at the same time. That will make it pretty much a plug and play project.