DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Newbie Checkin!

Notices

Newbie Checkin! New to the forums? Introduce yourself here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
crashingmedic

Default New '09 RAM owner needs advice...

Hey everyone. I just bought a new '09 RAM Quad Cab on 3/25 and I'm loving it!

I haven't done anything to it yet and I need the experienced RAM owner's opinions...

First of all the engine I have is the 4.7 V8 and not the 5.7 Hemi. It is also an ST and not the SLT or Laramie edition. It's also a 5 speed automatic with a 3:55 rear end (I think...)

The things I'm considering doing are putting dual exhaust & a CAI or at least a better air filter than the crummy paper filters that come standard. I'll also be checking with the Dodge service department to find out whether putting an oil additive like Slick 50, Dura-Lube or Lucas additives will void my warranty. I don't think they will but I want to be safe.

I am not a hot rodder and I don't have a heavy foot. The purpose of the mods is to increase the gas mileage just a bit and to make the truck last as long as possible.

I bought this truck to be able to haul my cow trailer, haul my flatbed trailer and buy hay for my cows & goats, I needed something big enough for my wife & 3 kids and I've always wanted a full size truck with a V8 that would last me for a long time.

My previous vehicle was a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT Quad Cab 3.0 V6 automatic with a 3:73 rear end. The best mileage I ever got out of it was 19.5 mpg. I wasn't going to trade it in until I was offered the Chrysler Max Care bumper to bumper life time warranty with no mileage or time limitations on it. That sold me on the Ram.

When I traded my Ranger off it had 175,000 miles on it and I NEVER had any issues with it. The A/C was acting up last summer and I'm sure I would have needed to replace it this year. Other than that...the Ranger was a blessing. My family just out grew it.

I changed the oil myself religiously every 3k-5k miles for the 9 years I had it. I put Slick 50 in it since it had @ 50,000 miles and also put Slick 50's automatic transmission additive in it @ 100,000 miles as well. I could tell a difference between driving my Ranger before Slick 50 and then after. The gas mileage increased almost 10% to top out @ 19.5 mpg as I said earlier and it was extremely smooth compared to before. It seemed to work great. I did not put any type of performance exhaust or CAI on it as I figured it was worthless on that engine (and that was what the majority of people at www.Ranger-Forums.com said as well) and I figured it was probably a waste of money.

My intentions are to keep my new RAM indefinitely and take care of it as I did my Ranger. Since this is a much larger truck with literally twice the engine, horsepower and strength of my old Ranger I think that spending a few bucks on exhaust and a CAI may be worth it over time.

So my questions to you experienced RAM owners are as follows...

1) Would dual exhaust benefit me in the gas mileage department? If so which system do you recommend? I am partial to the sound of Borla but am open to whatever you all suggest. I will need a professional to install it. I will not let Dodge do it because their prices are absurd.

2) Would a CAI benefit me in the gas mileage department? If so which one do you recommend? The most popular one I've seen is K&N which is around $300 & up. Is it really worth the money? I'll probably buy the parts and do this one myself.

I've heard that doing both of these mods together will increase my mileage buy up to 10% and I figure I'll max out somewhere around 19 and possible 20 on the highway (in optimal conditions of course). My driving is @ 75% highway and 25% city. My last fill up I got 17.8 mpg which I've heard is very good. The sticker on the truck stated 14-19 mpg so I'm in the high side of that range already.

Sorry to be so long winded here but I only buy vehicles about once every 10 years or so and this is a huge purchase for me.

When I bought my Ranger in 2000 I looked at trucks for a year before deciding on it. When I looked at the 1999 & 2000 Rams I was not impressed at all. However...the '09 RAM I have now beat Ford, Chevy, Toyota & Nissan hands down. It is the most powerful and smoothest driving full size P/U I've ever driven and I've tested many of them. This is the best truck out there...IMHO.

Thanks for reading this long post. If you all could point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it. Thanks again...EWB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wade's Truck.jpg (59.9 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '08 Caliber & '09 Nitro
Trim Level: SXT CRD 2.0 / 2.8
Color: Stone White / Brilliant Black
Rep:426
LYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really nice

Welcome to the ForumZ! Glad you found us
Sorry not a Ram owner s I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure that someone of our member here will.
Thanks for the pic. Enjoy the board!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500, '78 Lil Red Exp
Trim Level: slt
Color: Green (1500) red (lil red)
Rep:13
dodgegal06 is on a distinguished road

Hi there! In response to your questions 1 & 2: Yes, dual exhaust will help your truck breathe easier and in combination with a cai, improve throughput and improve your gas mileage. I have found it to do both on all my trucks. Secondly, I use K&N cai and magnaflows, though I have had flowmaster exhaust and thats pretty good too. Have been happy with sound and performance of both. Any good performance shop can install for you, dealers can be costly. Enjoy your new ram!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
erm

Welcome to the forum. Yes, more air in and more air out will improve engine efficiency.

The initial problem with this mod is that the throttle response improvement and sound will make you a bit right foot heavy and mileage will suffer. You might get past that after a while...LOL

Definitely do those modifications. The CAI is easy enough to do and you should be able to handle the install yourself with basic tools. Obviously, unless you have a lift and a welder, I'd leave the exhaust install to a qualified shop.

The Magnaflow systems flow well and sound good. It's not obtrusive in the cabin but has a nice burble when just running around. It sounds great when you accelerate! I have a Magnaflow single in/dual out muffler on my '99 5.2L and a full dual Magnaflow system on my '06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 and love the sound of both of them.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Welcome aboard! Glad you joined us here! Enjoy the site!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site! I agree, definitely worth adding the intake and exhaust, but remember to drive it just as you did before. Having driven numerous Rangers my father has owned, I am very confident you will not be disappointed with the Ram.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
07HEMI is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site. Sharp looking truck.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
crashingmedic

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be putting in true dual in/out Magnaflow through a friend of my father-in-laws and will be looking at which CAI to purchase. Thanks again...EWB