DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:13
bsp is on a distinguished road
Default Installing aftermarket head unit...need some help!

Hey guys and girls, this is my first new thread so I'll try and not sound like a total noob. It has been a while since I have done any kind of stereo mods, and I have only ever done them on foreign cars so bear with me on this one. I have purchased a new head unit, single din Pioneer. I grabbed the standard dash kit and went for the wiring harness and realized there were two options (after searching a few stores and asking the employees). What I ended up with is a $20 harness that looks pretty standard but apparently will not be able to supply power to the radio on vehicle startup. I could purchase one that would supply the power for a little over $50, but the tech said that all I needed to do was run an accessory line to the radio and that will provide the power on startup. The $25 dollar difference seemed a bit much for such a simple addition, so I opted with the cheaper and thought I would try the addition myself.

So now that my story is complete, here is the question : Can anyone provide me with some insight on what lies ahead for me on this accessory lead addition and the install? I know this has happened to other people, and I tried searching all over for the answer. Now I rely on someone here to provide some insight if possible. Thanks to anyone that can help!
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Ok, so I have stumbled my way through and in the end come up empty. I bought a harness from advance, wired it up to my aftermarket supplied harness, no dice. No power up at all. When you guys have installed aftermarket radios which harness did you have to go with? Surely someone has done this before! I know the knowledge is here, I just need someone to volunteer it.

Thanks for any and all help that can be provided.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
erm

I haven't wired up any head units so I'm no help here but it seems to me that there's gotta be a power plug on the back of the new unit. If so, running power from a source that's on with the ignition on would work. All you need is power, right? All the speaker and antenna connections have been plugged in I assume.

Since your truck runs Dodge's CanBus system, you might need to go check out, and get, the harness adapter offered by PacAudio. I had to get one of their pieces to be able to wire in an aftermarket amp in my 300C SRT8.

Check out their site here, click on Application Guide, and select your vehicle. Or, call them...they are very helpful!

http://www.pac-audio.com/#
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I haven't wired up any head units so I'm no help here but it seems to me that there's gotta be a power plug on the back of the new unit. If so, running power from a source that's on with the ignition on would work. All you need is power, right? All the speaker and antenna connections have been plugged in I assume.

Since your truck runs Dodge's CanBus system, you might need to go check out, and get, the harness adapter offered by PacAudio. I had to get one of their pieces to be able to wire in an aftermarket amp in my 300C SRT8.

Check out their site here, click on Application Guide, and select your vehicle. Or, call them...they are very helpful!

http://www.pac-audio.com/#
Thanks for the help Maddog! I am checking out their site now. I think all I require is power, everything else is wired up per the color coded wires. Didn't really seem to be tricky, just need power! On the aftermarket harness (metra) there is a yellow (12V battery/constant) and a red (12V ignition/switched) wire. Reading the names, it appears I should have power. While spending time on google for the past few days I keep running across people saying they have to run power from the harness to some sort of power supply, like the lighter. I will continue to look at the site you have provided and hopefully get what I need!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

You should have an adapter connection that takes the wiring that went to your OEM radio...this should be vehicle and model specific for your aftermarket radio....

the harness converter should plug the OEM cabling into one end...and the other end into the aftermarket head unit...

if everything worked in your radio to begin with that should be all you need to do if ALL your doing is doing a head unit....if theres lot of speakers and subs and other stuff or other amps involved...you have other things you need to do as well...

When I installed the gauges in my SRT8 I ran my power for the gauges from the Ignition...this way they get power but only when the car is on....

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoSRT View Post
You should have an adapter connection that takes the wiring that went to your OEM radio...this should be vehicle and model specific for your aftermarket radio....

the harness converter should plug the OEM cabling into one end...and the other end into the aftermarket head unit...

if everything worked in your radio to begin with that should be all you need to do if ALL your doing is doing a head unit....if theres lot of speakers and subs and other stuff or other amps involved...you have other things you need to do as well...

When I installed the gauges in my SRT8 I ran my power for the gauges from the Ignition...this way they get power but only when the car is on....
Steveo, the install couldn't be more simple. Pull out the factory head unit, slide in a new one. Not touching speakers or amps or anything like that. I do not have the Infinity system with the factory amp either, just the regular 7 speaker setup. I am taking a look at PAC audio as Maddog suggested, they show a need for a special harness that will allow me to interface with the famous canbus system. I do have a harness that plugs into the OEM from the dash, and I have wired it to the supplied harness from Pioneer. I think it just requires a different harness (even though I was assured I was getting the correct one).

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I hate scratching my head on something so simple.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
StevoSRT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp View Post
Steveo, the install couldn't be more simple. Pull out the factory head unit, slide in a new one. Not touching speakers or amps or anything like that. I do not have the Infinity system with the factory amp either, just the regular 7 speaker setup. I am taking a look at PAC audio as Maddog suggested, they show a need for a special harness that will allow me to interface with the famous canbus system. I do have a harness that plugs into the OEM from the dash, and I have wired it to the supplied harness from Pioneer. I think it just requires a different harness (even though I was assured I was getting the correct one).

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I hate scratching my head on something so simple.
trust me..im the king of getting something that im "assured" will work...then having to modify it or get a new (and different) one lol

just keep it at it will work lol

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/12/srt-owner-profile-steve-crisalli-white-plains-new-york.html
Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

sounds like you've got the wrong harness. When you get a proper harness it's just a matter of plug and play. It should have an end that will connect up to your OEM harness, with a bunch of wires on the other end. It's then just a matter of following the color code, matching up each speaker on the harness to that on your head unit, the same is true for all power leads and the ground.

That being said, if it's not working as advertised, then you'll need to run power wires. I'll typically tap into the fuse box. I'll find a fuse that is on when I want it to be (usually ACC for the non continuous power lead, and something like the headlights or lighter for the continuous).

This can be done several ways. The easiest (which is the way that I'll typically do it) is to strip back the insulation on the wire far enough where you can wrap in around one side of the fuse blade, then reinsert the fuse into the block. Another way is to remove the block from under the dash (or wherever it is) find the fuse you wish to use, and tap off it from the back, inserting an in-line connector for the wire coming off that particular fuse. This option isn't as easy, and I don't recommend if you've got limited electrical/ automotive knowledge as it can be a bit tricky. Third option is to run a wire directly to the battery using something like a ring terminal that connects to the positive terminal. Make sure that you have some sort of inline fuse no matter which route you go with, as this will prevent a total electrical melt down if something shorts out.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Steveo, I know what you mean. Seems like anytime you have to ask an employee for something like that they can pretty much tell you the information you can read off the packaging. Reminds me of the family guy episode where Stewie is asking the Circuit City employee about the fax (or something like that). Priceless.

Excoastie, I think you may be onto something here. I have the low-end standard harness and I matched up all the color coded wires where applicable. The aftermarket radio harness wires are all used, the generic harness has two that have no use for my radio. I matched up all colors but got no power. I have a stupid question though...If I need to run the power wires I am assuming that I do not need to worry with wiring them to the factory harness, just run from the aftermarket harness to the fuse box. Does this sound right?

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter, I have only ever had to splice the wires and plug and play. Never had to mess with running power and all that.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM
erm

Been there, done that as well, Stevo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoSRT View Post
trust me..im the king of getting something that im "assured" will work...then having to modify it or get a new (and different) one lol

just keep it at it will work lol