DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
supernan1414

Default dodge ram cummings deisel towing hitch????

Hi I am new to this site and looking for information. We have a '97 Dodge Ram with 110,000 miles on it powered with a Cummings diesel engine. We purchased this to pull our 94 Hitchhiker 35' 1 large slide fifth wheel. It has a 15,000 GW rease hitch on it. Our fifth wheel is getting old and feel we should trade and update before we have major repairs. Today we stopped and looked at a Jayco Designer 35' with 3 slides and it says it needs a hitch 18,000 GW. Does anyone have knowledge if this truck could pull this weight easily without straining the engine. Thanks in Advance for your thoughts Barb

Forgot to mention this is a 3500 one ton. I don't know the exact weight of the rig till we go back and take a second look.

Last edited by supernan1414; 05-04-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM
erm

I'd get out the owners manual, if you have it, or contact your Dodge dealer on the GVWR for your truck.

Remember, a tow behind rating is not the same as a fifth wheel rating. The rating for towing the 5'Vr will be higher.

Also, the 18000 GW on the trailer assumes you have it fully loaded, full black/grey/fresh water tanks, all bins full, etc...As you know, unless you are dry camping, you won't have a full fresh water tank and you'll be emptying/flushing your black and gray water tanks before you head to your next destination.

I'd ask the RV dealer for a full set of specs to find out what the dry weight is, then estimate what the weight is of the items you'll be adding/hauling in your trailer down the road, then compare that with the fifth wheel tow ratings on your truck.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '96 V10 4X4 2500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:10
96-V10 is on a distinguished road

If the 1996 and 1997 are the same, my '96 2500 V10 has a 19,000# max combined vehicle weight rating, that works out to around a 12000# trailer. I have overloaded my previous Dodge (’79 W150) by a bunch but it really didn't have enough brakes for the weight. Your ‘97 will probably tow it, but it may not be able to stop if the trailer brakes fail.
My $.02
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:23
black beauty is on a distinguished road

wow it only has 110k its just getting broken in. well to get to your question we use to have a 97 diesel and we had the fifth wheel hooked up with 11 round bales of hay (if not familiar with it ALOT OF WEIGHT ON THAT BAD BOY) and it hauled them like they were nothing. also the truck was all stock, i miss that old truck would haul anything you through its way and won't even hesitate the littlest bit