DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Throttle Sticking?!

7K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  chithead 
G
#1 ·
I have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L that I just purchased a coupel weeks ago and last night while driving on a fairly flat highway the throttle stuck open and the truck just kept excelerating. I turned the cruise off - it kept going, I hit the brake - it kept going, I then just gave the gas pedal a kick and that got it. It wasn't a big deal because I was on a wide open highway but it did freak me out! Today however I was in town coming up to a stop light :SHOCKED: when it accurred and that scare the living sh*t out of me! I have not actually got down to check anything out yet since it's raining out and I'm at work but what are the things I should be checking? I know I need to look at the gas pedal and such but what should I look at under the hood if that checks out OK? When it comes to the machanics of vehicles I'm OK until it comes to engine stuff. That's where I'm affraid to touch anything!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

#2 ·
Whoa, I had this happen before but it was the really thick rubber mats I had would get caught between the gas pedal and transmission tunnel. Might want to check around the throttle body and make sure the cable is moving freely, that all springs are snapping back like they should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.