DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '07 Ram 1500 QC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:10
rottyrott is on a distinguished road
Default '07 1500 4X4 Vibration

I bought this truck used on New Years Eve with 46,000 miles on the clock. It occasionally got a moderate to bad shimmy, vibration, hop, death wobble. I called the dealership and they said that there was a tsb on the outer tie rod ends. I checked them and sure enough they were very loose. Of course tie rod ends aren't covered under my extended powertrain warranty so I had to replace them and align it out of pocket. That seemed to take care of most of my problem. It doesn't seem to be as bad as it was before, but it still gets an intermittent vibration. Sometimes it'll start and go away within a couple of miles and other times it'll continue for 10 or 15 miles regardless of what speed I'm going. When the vibration is present and I apply the brakes the pedal surges as though the rotors are warped, but are fine when the vibration isn't present. I checked the inner tie rods, ball joints, and control arm bushings when I checked/changed the outer tie rods. There seems to be quite a bit of play where both front CV shafts spline onto the intermdediate axle shafts. I think this could possibly cause a vibration, but am unsure as to if this play/slack in the shafts is normal or if anyone else has had issues with it causing vibrations. Thanks for any help and or ideas you can share.
Mike
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
07HEMI is on a distinguished road

I have a 07 4x4 and have not received anything about the wobble.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '06 Ram Quad Cab HEMI
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
Sparky is on a distinguished road

I do not know how much you know about trucks so do not take this the wrong way. Did you check to see if the tires were balanced, ( this would only shake at certain speed unlike your problem but you never know) also have you cleaned your rims and check so there was no build up to throw the balance off? These are just some easy tips, but you might have already ruled them out.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The rims are clean, but I haven't had them balanced. didn't figure a tire balance issue would come and go while holding at a constant speed. I can set the cruise at 60mph and be fine for awhile and then it'll start out with a very slight vibration and it may stay that way for a couple miles and then go away as fast as it came, or it'll gradually get worse and then disappear. sometimes it'll keep vibrating until i stop and then when i take off it'll be fine again. it doesn't happen every time i drive it. i drive 13 miles to work and sometimes it'll cycle from no vibe, to slight, back to no, then to a major vibe and back to a slight vibe all in that 13 miles, but it also may go a couple of trips with no vibe at all. guess i'll just have to find a few more trucks and check the play they have at the cv shaft to see if they are consistent with mine to try to rule that out as the cause. if it was just a slight vibe i wouldn't be too worried about it, but since it can be pretty bad at times it has me concerned that it could be causing damage to other front end components. thanks for your input.
mike
Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 PM
DustyUsr

Thumbs up '07 1500 4X4 Vibration

I had a problem like this a few months ago, one of the rear brake drums was warped and it would to the very same thing, the whole truck would viberate at differnt times, replaced the bad drum and problem went away.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i've got rear discs, but i'll take a look and see if one or both of them are warped. who knows. thanks for the input.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
jknight03

I've got a very similar problem in my '05 QC Hemi 4x4. One thing I've noticed is it never happens when I'm hauling a load (towing a trailer or have something heavy in the bed). I think my rear shocks are shot--I'm going to replace them soon. If anybody has a remedy for this wobble/vibration problem I could use some help too!

I figure if all else fails, I'll just weld some rail road irons to the rear frame rails... ;-)
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I checked a couple of trucks at work last night and they both had about the same amount of play between the intermediate and cv shafts as mine, so I guess i'm still trying to find my problem since that shouldn't be it.