DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.7L PowerTech V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Pork Chop

Exclamation My truck has trouble starting... no one can figure out problem

For the past two months various Dodge Dealerships around Florida, my personal mechanic, nor I have been able to figure out why my truck experiences a problem with starting.

From personal observation if the truck sits for a while, like over night or while I'm at work and don't leave for lunch, it won't start and it sounds like the battery is dead. However the truck can be barely started if you turn the key enough.

My personal mechanic tested the battery and it wasn't dead and the computer diagnostic did not show any problems so they replaced the Ignition Switch and rewired the harness.

After 3 weeks the same problem resurfaced and I took it into the Dodge Dealership this time and their computer diagnostic said this time that the battery was dead so I replaced it, this was two days ago.

The old battery was not completely dead and was easily recharged back to 100%. I did not put it back on my truck and kept the new one.

Today my truck would not crank, again the brand new battery sounded dead and after 30 attempts my truck eventually barely started.

After wards there was no problems and the truck restarts with ease.

Is this a battery drain or a computer problem?
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

Rep:14
Jay is on a distinguished road

Your catalitic converter might be clogging and choking out the exhaust. Sometimes the internals will collaps on its self and when driving it will open up to allow flow. I would check that.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

year and engine size would help alittle. almost sounds to me like a case of armature drag in the starter.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Pork Chop

Thanks!

The engine size and specs are as follows...

YEAR: 2005
MAKE/MODEL: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
ENGINE: V6
DRIVE: 2 Wheel

Any suggestions that you think it may be I will put into a list and give to my personal mechanic to check out.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

What about all the grounds for the electrical system? Wonder if they are making good contact.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM

went it doesnt want to start i would find someone to try to start it and hold the key in the start position while your under the truck rap on the starter with a hammer , not real hard but not like a girl either. sometimes the bearings that hold the armature in the windings wear out and the armature drags on the windings and they act like they have a dead battery. worth a try , but hopefully after a stop at both the dealer and your mechanic one of them would have checked the starter , if not time for a new mechanic.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '96 V10 4X4 2500 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:10
96-V10 is on a distinguished road

Slow cranking sounds like a starter problem or a (big wire) circuit problem to me.
My $.02
Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Pork Chop

Thanks for all the suggestions about what could be messing up my truck... thus far this is what I have got done to the truck and none of it has worked.

(1). New Ignition Switch
(2). New Wiring Harness (Connects to back of Ignition Switch)
(3). New Battery
(4). About 10 diagnostic tests

The starter was checked when the truck was starting okay and not during a random spasm when my truck was acting up.

The dealerships around here are really on my nerves, they gave me this expression and told me tough luck. At least my personal mechanic is trying by trial and error to fix it. Everyone I take it to is clueless and I'm at my wits end because I have dumped $300.00 into replacing parts that were not bad.

Right now I'm detaching the new battery while at work and over night to see if the problem is a power "drain" on the system. My self test with a Battery checker to see if it was a drain turned up nothing but I'm not confident that the cheap ole tester I bought at Auto Zone is worth a dam so I will probably take it back tomorrow and just see if by unhooking the battery if the truck acts up again, if it does then I will know that its not a drain.

If its not a drain and it acts up again I plan to hit the starter with a hammer and see if that will get it to turn over... it may be dragging and I hope that is the problem.

I have never replaced a starter before in my life and I especially don't know what they look like on a Dodge Ram, can anyone shoot me a picture or give me directions on where it should be located before I start wacking on random parts... I heard that its underneath the engine on the left side.

I will do a google search and see what I can find... thanks again... will keep you all updated
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Pork Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96-V10 View Post
Slow cranking sounds like a starter problem or a (big wire) circuit problem to me.
My $.02
By big wire do you mean wiring harness?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM

if it was mine i would lean towards putting a starter in it , but the hammer test always tells if its the starter , which looks like this :

now if you try the hammer trick you DO NOT want to hammer on #5 , that is the solenoid. you want to tap on the other round part behind/below #5 , that is the actual starter motor.

Last edited by red041500; 05-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.