DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
cruiser enthuiser

Default Weird Idle Surge

Hey Guys...new to the forum here. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 4.7. It's been a workhorse and I love it. Got about 83k on it and two days ago it started doing this odd thing. When I start it in the morning it revs up to about 1600 RPM (normal cold start I believe) then instead of slowly dropping to normal idle speed as it warms, it bounces between 1000 and 1600 rpm about 1/2 dozen times. Eventually it settles to normal idle speed and it only does this when it's cold - and by that I mean sitting overnight, temps around 40 to 50 degrees. Seems to operate normally otherwise. I need this rig to run good for a long time so I really want to nip any problems in the bud.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '08 Caliber & '09 Nitro
Trim Level: SXT CRD 2.0 / 2.8
Color: Stone White / Brilliant Black
Rep:426
LYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really niceLYC79 is just really nice

Welcome to the ForumZ Ed!
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but someone with better knowledge will give you some good advice soon!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 08 Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
08quadram is on a distinguished road

Does the '04 have an electronic throttle? It could be a throttle position sensor or engine RPM sensor. I'm guessing electronic. I'm also guessing.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup" -Doc, IFSJA
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram
Trim Level: Magnum
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Rebhays27 is on a distinguished road

I'm a member on another Dodge Forum's as well and it amazes me how many people asking this question in various models of Dodge Truck. Surging RPM's is something Dodge needs to look at for recall purposes. I have an 01 Ram 1500 and mine is doing this as well adn I can't find a cure for it. I have about as many different remedies as I do responses the TPS and ICM did not help mine at all and I just had the tranny rebuilt. Of course mine will not show it's self when the mech is onboard. Good luck in finding your resolution.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
cruiser enthuiser

I was thinking TPS myself. However, I really don't know this engine and it's run so flawlessley up to this point that I have rarely even lifted the hood. I've worked quite a bit on a GM 350 tbi that I have in my '68 Land Cruiser and if it were doing this I would say IAC or TPS for sure. I was hoping this was a common problem with an equally common (and hopefully simple) fix.

Thanks for the input so far guys....anyone else?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM
cnye

I am new to the site as well.
I have an 05 1500 with 4.7 doing the same. The shop has replaced the EGR, left side oxygen sensor and exhaust manifold gaskets...problem still exists. The code I am getting is p2098.
Any help would be appreciated - BTW if you need to find the code. Put keys in the ignition turn to on position then off - do this 3 times leaving it in the on position the 3rd time, the code will appear in where mileage displays
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
erm

So what did the P2098 code reveal? EGR valve malfunction? The symptoms sound a lot like a malfunctioning EGR or throttle position sensor.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Tony

I have the exact same problem on my 4.7L 05 Dodge RAM. It idles erratically for about 30/40 sec. on startup, but then settles down. It also does it at times when placing the trans. in park. While driving, it might jump between 550-650 RPM, but it is not noteacible. However, when I rev up the engine about a half dozen times say to about 4500/5000 RMP, the problem goes away for about 2-3 days, then it's back.

I've been told my best bet is to clean or replace the Idle Air Controller (IAC). It's supposedly located on the throttle body. I can't see it just by looking uder the hood. I have not removed/unscrewed anything yet. Anyone have any idea what part of the throttle body it's located at?

Any help provided is much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road

Go with the codes first, things to check would definitely be the TPS, even the throttle body, and then you may want to look at the EGR. My brother had his whole throttle body replaced because it was broken?? but that was on an '04 hemi... I just did the EGR on my '05 with 81,000km.. but I have no idle issues, it just died one day and then threw a code the next.. reset it and it came back about 4 days later. I would also check the plugs, as they could be in need of replacement and since a lot of this stuff now a days is electronic, they could be causing a bad idle making the engine run weird until they get warm. My dad has the 4.7L in his '02 and I don't think he has experienced anything like this yet and he has 150,000km on it... so let us know how you make out.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Tony

Turns out I didn't have to replace or clean the IAC. Nor did I have to remove the air resonator box to get at the IAC. Almost two weeks ago I revved up my engine to about 4000-4500 RPM for a good two minutes. This appeared to fix the problem for good. No more erratic idling. Also, now when I start from a red light or stop sign, I try to push a little on the gas pedal. It appears that carbon build up was causing this. That is ... if or until the problem resurfaces.

Last edited by Tony; 06-06-2009 at 09:52 AM.