DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM
jknight03

Default Wobble/Vibration/Bounce in '05 1500 QC Hemi 4x4

I bought my truck used last September. It's seemed to have this horrible "bounce" especially around the 40-45mph range. It's very inconsistent. At times it will drive like a cadillac and at others it will feel like I'm about to get launched out of my seat and hit my head on the roof. It's like my entire frame is flexing in the middle. The dealership said my tires were out of balance. They rebalanced them but it didn't help. I'm thinking I might have a tire out of round... I don't know. Also, whenever I hit a bump at highway speeds, the truck seems to take a while to recover--it shimmies for a while before it smooths out. I believe my rear shocks are shot. They have rusted leak-down marks on the outside of them. I'm going to replace them but I'm not sure that shocks would cause that big of a problem. One thing that has been consistent is I noticed that never have any problems when I either have a load in the bed or am towing a heavy trailer--anything that can put a significant load on the rear of the truck. The bounce always seems to come from the rear or right under my seat. I don't have any wobble or vibration in my steering wheel. Also, I've rotated the tires. That seemed to help for a little while but now it's back to the same. Any thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 08 Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
08quadram is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the shocks to me. If they are showing signs of leaking, they need replaced. It can make a huge difference in handling and safety of the truck. I would start there

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup" -Doc, IFSJA
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM
jknight03

I've got a set coming in the mail this weekend. I'll follow up on my results.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '07 Ram 1500 QC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:10
rottyrott is on a distinguished road

That sounds like my original problem, except my steering wheel vibrated. The whole truck would bounce and vibrate horribly. I found the outer tie rods to be very sloppy, changed them, had it aligned and now i'm just down to an intermittent mild to moderate vibration that I haven't been able to track down. have had a couple of responses on here for things to check, but none of the suggestions have been the problem. good luck

Mike
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
jknight03

I'll put a jack under it and check all the front end parts. The rack and pinion was sloppy when I bought it so the dealer replaced it and had it aligned. I've got excellent response/tight steering but I'll double check everything to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. Thanks Mike.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
jknight03

Mike, out of curiosity, what tires are you running? Brand/Size
Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '07 Ram 1500 QC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:10
rottyrott is on a distinguished road

I've still got the goodyear wrangler sra 245/70R17's that were on it when I bought it.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM
jknight03

Installed OEM rear shocks yesterday. Seems to ride better. It definately stiffened up the rear suspension. Truck recovers after the rear tires hit a bump now--no more bouncing. But, I haven't put many miles on it with the new shocks. I think I'll be able to tell for sure when I get it down the interstate and see how it handles.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
jessman02 is on a distinguished road

hey, I think you have a cord broken in one of your tires, you can check this by rubing your hand around the tire, you will fell it, also look for anything that looks like a knot in the tread , if you cant see anything,put your spare tire on one side and test drive your truck,keep changing the tires with the spare till the vibs go away then you know which tire is bad, hope this helps jessman
Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

What about the ball joints? I have read where they are a potential issue with our Generation of Rams.