DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 PM
KMPrenger

Default Getting 'No Bus' error in odometer

Hello all,

Took my 05 Ram 1500 for a short drive today when suddenly all my dash gauges quit working and all dash lights and headlights come on. After some blinking and beeping the odometer says 'no bus'.

Now, Ive read that this could be caused by electrical problems or bad connections in many places.

The truck is always garaged, and cleaned and has only 18,300 miles on it so its hard for me to think that anything is worn out or shorted from weather exposure.

about 3 or 4 months ago I did install and wire an aftermarket radio head unit but its worked fine since. Surely thats not the cause, but I don't know.

The truck seems to run fine with this happens, but still, I don't wanna take it on the road at the moment either.

Anyone out there experience this before? Anyone have any common recommendations or things to check first?

Thanks a ton!
-keith
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

never had any experience with it but here is a test off alldatapro for you.

PCI BUS INTERNAL FAILURE

WHEN MONITORED
Continuously.

SET CONDITION
The Instrument Cluster fails the loopback test on the PCI Bus.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Instrument cluster
DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1. INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

NOTE: If this is an active DTC, answer yes to the question.

With the DRBIII(R), erase DTCs.
Cycle the ignition and wait approximately 1 minute .
With the DRBIII(R), read DTCs.

Q: Did this DTC reset?

YES: Replace the Instrument Cluster. Perform BODY VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: Verification Tests\Body Verification Test
NO: Test Complete.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

and here is the body verification test the above procedure speaks of

1. PERFORM BODY VERIFICATION TEST

Disconnect all jumper wires and reconnect all previously disconnected components and connectors.
Ensure that all accessories are turned off.
Ensure that the battery is fully charged.
If the Instrument Cluster was replaced, disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 seconds to power down the FCM. Then, reconnect the battery negative cable and turn the ignition on for 15 seconds to allow the Instrument Cluster to learn the VIN.
If the Instrument Cluster was replaced and the vehicle is equipped with VTSS, cycle the key in the driver door cylinder lock switch to enable VTSS.
Program the tire size, the country code, the radio EQ setting, all of the RKE transmitters (if RKE Module was replaced), and all other options as necessary.
If any HVAC door actuator circuits were repaired, run the Actuator Circuit Test by selecting the following from the DRBIII(R) menu: Select HVAC, System Tests, and Actuator Circuit Test. Allow the test to run to completion before proceeding.
If any HVAC door actuators were replaced/door linkage was repaired, run the HVAC Door Recalibration by selecting the following from the DRBIII(R) menu: Select HVAC, System Tests, and HVAC Door Recalibration. Allow the test to run to completion before proceeding.
With the DRBIII(R), record and erase all DTC's from ALL modules.
Start and run the engine for 2 minutes while operating all functions of the system that caused the original concern.
Turn the ignition off, wait 5 seconds , then turn the ignition on. Using the DRBIII(R), read DTC's from ALL modules. Q: Are DTCs present in any module or is the original condition still present? YES: The repair is not complete. Refer to the related category for the DTC or symptom that is still present. NO: The repair is complete.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
KMPrenger

Appreciate the quick response, although honestly I'm not sure what all the acronyms stand for . I'm guessing to perform some of the above tests I'd need something I can connect to the truck's computer to read and clear codes?

Anyways...this morning I hopped in it for a few minutes and it still said 'no bus'. So I banged on the dash just above it (not too hard lol) and then the 'no bus' message would go away and my milage would return, but within a second or two, the 'no bus' message would flash back up. Everytime I tapped on the dash, it did this. This almost makes it seem like a bad connection somewhere.

So this prompted me to open up the dash. I did so this afternoon. Got the dash apart and the instrument panel lose, although I could not get it out past the steering column unfortunently, so I could not directly look at any of the connections. I could only feel them. While I had this all lose I hooked the battery back up and started the truck. It worked fine for several minutes. Was thinking if there indeed was a lose connection, maybe I had jarred back into place. Well, once I shut the engine off, but left ignition on, it wasnt long and it was doing it again.

I'm back at square one, with no idea what the actual cause is. The malfuction indicator light stays on constantly. I'd really like to avoid taking this to a dealer as I don't really feel like spending a ton of money to diagnose what is likely a simple fix.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:06 PM
KMPrenger

OK, today I ran a few tests. I did the key cycle test where you turn the ignition from an off to the on position 3 times in a row and got the error code 'U0155' which I believe just idicates the No Bus error.

Then I ran the self diagnostic test where you push and hold the odometer button while you cycle the key position from off to on and keep it pressed. All the guages and lights on the cluster come on and then after that the odometer read out displays various codes. The codes I recieved are (and their meanings I found online):

AA - PCM message not received
A6 - (not sure what this means)
AC - ABS msg. not rec
AD - FCM msg. not rec
AE - ACM msg. not rec

According to what I found online, This points to problem in the instrument cluster processor or the single white/violet wire that connects all the modules and allows them to share information.

A few months back, I replaced the radio with an aftermarket unit. I got the wiring diagram to connect all the radio wires properly, but a couple were left unhooked (dimmer wire for instance). Well, I just checked, and that white/violet wire is also one of the wires I've left unhooked. But the problem only recently started happening and I've had it installed for 3 or 4 months.

Any suggestions??
Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
erm

The two threads were merged and duplicate posts deleted.

Sorry, not sure why this would happen unless the main processor glitched or that head unit wire you put in is shorting against the harness.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM
MTobe

I had this same problem with an '04 Ram 1500. It took several trips to the dealer to resolve this problem. Dodge kept telling them to run tests that never told them what was worng. So after about 5 trips to the dealer where I believe they packed some of the underhood connections with dielectric grease and then reconnected them. Not sure which ones. Haven't had the problem again in over 18months. They were guessing it was probably water from when they detailed the engine before putting it up for sale. Another Dodge tech has seen it happen when the weather is rainy. Has it been raining where you are? Have you sprayed your engine compartment with a water pressure hose lately? Not sure if this will work or not!

Last edited by MTobe; 05-29-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: maroon
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
metalurch is on a distinguished road

nubi here,
my "no bus"also means no start.
first thought is was fuel pump replaced it,crank sensor,cam sensoe and coil.
did the onboard diagnostic code 920,921 .as of now all sensors are unplugged still says no bus....ran the diag on the ic passed ..please help I must go back to work tomorrow
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: maroon
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
metalurch is on a distinguished road

ok well thanks for the help
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
lyndajlj

Default Problem with van stating no bus on odometer

Hi,
I don't have a reply just a problem with my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Van
a while back I tried to start the van and got the no bus message on the odometer the van would not start. My husband came out and pulled out the fuses and put them back in then it started. Then about 2 weeks later I went out to start the van and it did the same thing hubby came out again checked the fuses, but it did not start.

A friend came out with his code reader but could not get any error code.

I called a nearby Dodge dealership told them of the problem they said it was a main fuse box problem.

Before that I got a check gauge light came on then it went off.

Have not done any of the diagnostic procedures that some of you have suggested did not know about them till I just read them a few minutes ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what we can do? Any help would be appreciated.

Lynda