DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
RSLBOWHUNTER is on a distinguished road
Question Over drive problem

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 01 motor and auto tranny.
When i first drive it the overdrive button light is on for about
5 miles, then it will cut off and shift into od.
What would cause this?
It is very consistant on kickin into od at that point.
After it kicks in i can cut it on & off.
Didn't know if it a mileage thing or a temp. Thing.
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome!

I am sorry I don't have an answer to your problem but there are plenty here who will be able to help you! Just give them a little time to see the post, I just didn't want you to feel ignored!

Why don't you head over here while you are waiting and introduce yourself so we can welcome you here proper like? Tell us more about your truck and such!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 ram quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: sunburst orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:16
sarge is on a distinguished road

my best suggestion would be to take it to an autozone or somewhere that would check the diagnostic code for free (at least they will here in laurel, ms). get the code and then you can post it on here or look it up for yourself. that'll help narrow it down a lot. i'm gonna guess it's slippage (especially if you've hauled stuff that would have heated it up pretty good). what could be happening is that the computer reads the slippage until the tranny gets heated up (which causes the clutches to actually expand and engage better). then it corrects the fail-safe and allows tranny to go into OD. since you probably drive the same routes each day, it usually takes it about the same amount of mileage/time to reach that temp. bottom line is it could be different problems causing it and the best way to make a good guess is to scan it and see what the diagnostic code(s) are (the one making your OD light come on when you first crank it). hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 ram 1500, 96 ram 3500
Trim Level: slt
Color: 98 met red, 96 Black
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
rebel5422 is on a distinguished road

did u ever figure out the problem? i know this is about a 3yr old thread but im having a very simular problem... my mom totaled her 01 with a v6 and auto we bout a 98 with a v6 and auto but the motor was blown.. o1 engine and trans went into the 98 tried running the 01 ecm but the times it would fire up it would run poorly but trans would run shift correctly put the 98 ecm in the engine runs great but the trans wont shift to overdrive, the od off light comes on and the trans temp light follows shortly after... there are no engine codes either? some one said to swap the 01 govener pressure selonoids and internal wiring and other sensors to the 98 ones and this would fix due to the difference in year models they are wired differently? is this correct? all connections on the 98 harness fit the 01 trans? im kinda lost and have searched for an answer everywhere... thanks for any help