DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 Crew
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
Subydude09 will become famous soon enough
Question Auto climate controls issue

Hi, I am having some hiccups /w my auto climate controls, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.
I have an '09 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, and I noticed that in the summer months the AC turns on automatically each time the vehicle is started. Also in the winter months, it automatically turns on the defrost/heated mirrors. Is there a way to stop this? The problem is that during the "in between" months, the AC might run while it is -15 out, or the defrost might run when it's +10 out.
It may only be a quick push of a button to turn these off when I enter the truck, but it is very annoying when I am using the remote starter.
Note: I am not using the "auto" feature, I have the controls manually set to floor/defrost all year round.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Longhorn Limited
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SoDakMac is on a distinguished road

I have noticed a similar pattern. I understand that the AC compressor runs if a vehicle has the defroster on to reduce the possibility of fogging up the windshield. This has been the case on most cars that I have owned in the past 20 years or so. The difference seems to be that the AC in my Ram actually runs and blows out cold air sometimes when it is certainly not hot or even warm out (mid winter in SD!). The confusing thing is that it is not very predictable – sometimes the AC light is on and sometimes not. I also shut it off manually but it seems stupid to have the AC run when it is zero outside. The delay function is also strange. It seems that the delay only works if the truck is pretty cold (0-15 or 20 degrees). If it is 45 degrees or so the computer lets the heater blower run before the engine temperature is up off zero and blows cold air into the cabin until I shut it off manually. My Chrysler 300C has neither of these issues in its climate control system.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Since it should still be under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them look it over for any HVAC codes or updates that may be available.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 Crew
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
Subydude09 will become famous soon enough

Interesting, well thanks for the reply, I was starting to think it was just me!
No other vehicle I've ever owned does this, and I have always used floor/defrost year round. They just stay on whatever manual setting I leave it at. I have an '09 Subaru Forester that doesn't auto run the ac, and neither did my last truck (an '03 F150). One early morning my window had frozen overnight, and I remote started the truck to have it defrosted by the time I got out there. 10 minutes later when I got outside I found to my dismay that the AC had been running, not the heat! I've had it looked at by Dodge once already, and spoke to a service advisor about it, but they think I'm crazy. (That was before I discovered that it only does in on the defrost settings). I think vehicle manufacturers are tryinig too hard to over-engineer something seemingly as simple as the heating/cooling system.all I want to do is set it & leave it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Rep:39
09 RT RAM is on a distinguished road

I have not noticed the A/C coming on during startup, but I will pay more attention. What I do notice and it is frustrating is that the dang left knob you set for recirculated air by depressing it, the damn switch keeps turning back off. This is software related. Yes...it only works during max air which I believe is the norm for most makes. I have to push it several times every time I drive. There is supposed to be a computer flash for a defrost issue that might/might not be related. Insider information at Dodge would be greatly appreciated. They have not got all the bugs out of the new platform. There are some squeaks and groans coming from underneath....the durometer of the bushings are suspect......might need some bushing grease......something loose up front....ball joint/tie rod...rack.....not sure. Need to take it in. Overall...very happy for a 1st GEN which this is a FIRST. . I usually wait a few years...the manufacturers improve the platforms as time goes by.

Last edited by 09 RT RAM; 03-30-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The flash you're referring to is for manual ATC controls only.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

my climate control acts funny too. The first time each day the Ram is remotely started it seems to have a mind of its own & then works perfectly every time after that.
i took mine into the dealership twice for that, the first time i don't know if they remembered to check it out, because everything seemed to be the same
the second time it seemed to be working correctly, but, i noticed that someone had changed the fan setting from AUTO to HIGH.

Now when i am about to shut off the Ram for the last time each day, I set the temperature setting, if its going to be cold in the morning, i set the reading to 80 degrees, if its going to be hot in the morning, i set it to 50
I read & reread the drivers handbook about the climate control, it doesn't tell you anything about actually turning on the A/C or heat

Another thing that i would like to know is, what is that little light on the climate controls next to the temperature, is it a snowflake (*) meaning a/c on? or is it a different symbol meaning recirculation ?
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Caliber
Color: Silver
Rep:41
UN4GTBL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
my climate control acts funny too. The first time each day the Ram is remotely started it seems to have a mind of its own & then works perfectly every time after that.
i took mine into the dealership twice for that, the first time i don't know if they remembered to check it out, because everything seemed to be the same
the second time it seemed to be working correctly, but, i noticed that someone had changed the fan setting from AUTO to HIGH.

Now when i am about to shut off the Ram for the last time each day, I set the temperature setting, if its going to be cold in the morning, i set the reading to 80 degrees, if its going to be hot in the morning, i set it to 50
I read & reread the drivers handbook about the climate control, it doesn't tell you anything about actually turning on the A/C or heat

Another thing that i would like to know is, what is that little light on the climate controls next to the temperature, is it a snowflake (*) meaning a/c on? or is it a different symbol meaning recirculation ?
pretty sure thats the A/C

the snow flake is a pretty standard symbol for A/C from my experience

Wanting a new Ram...