DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7Hemi 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Bighorn Package
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
cptsopiens is on a distinguished road
Default Air Helper kits

I am going to have an air helper kit installed on the rear suspension of my 2009 Ram 1500 this week. I am pulling an 8,000 lbs camper and my rear end is squatting about 3 inches (measured over the wheel well). Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I ordered the Firestone bladder type, but I am wondering if the '09 requires the kind that inflate within the coil springs? I guess I'm not sure what Dodge ordered for me until it comes in. I just want it to work. Any precautions or advice would be greatly appreciated. (i.e. is it best to hook up the trailer and then inflate? or vice versa?) I will probably have to have my camper hitch adjusted again (3rd time).

I'm guessing the link coil suspension has it's draw backs. I probably have about 800 lbs of tongue weight on the truck and I wonder if it would squat that much with a traditional suspension. I sure like the ride though
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:16
kcr9220 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kcr9220

Don't have a clue, but if you would, please keep us updated as to what you have installed on your Ram.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Reg Cab S/B 4X4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:199
Blackzilla has a spectacular aura aboutBlackzilla has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Blackzilla

http://www.airliftcompany.com/ try these there using these.
Mods....Mopar CAI,Mufflex 14'' Retro,Mufflex 5'' Blk Tips,3M C/F Stripes,Blk Shortie Antenna,Low Profile Tonneau,20% Tint,De-Badge,5% Tint Front Stripe,In-Channel AVS,LED Rear Light Bar,Blk Interior Dash Kit, SilverStars High/Low/Fogs,Blk Chrome Shadow Badges,BT Blk Raptor Shifter Knob,Blk Dash Mat
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Reg Cab S/B 4X4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:199
Blackzilla has a spectacular aura aboutBlackzilla has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Blackzilla

sent ya pm........
Mods....Mopar CAI,Mufflex 14'' Retro,Mufflex 5'' Blk Tips,3M C/F Stripes,Blk Shortie Antenna,Low Profile Tonneau,20% Tint,De-Badge,5% Tint Front Stripe,In-Channel AVS,LED Rear Light Bar,Blk Interior Dash Kit, SilverStars High/Low/Fogs,Blk Chrome Shadow Badges,BT Blk Raptor Shifter Knob,Blk Dash Mat
Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad/ SB / 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:57
jamesb0 will become famous soon enough

Bad news , They didn't design the 09 1500 for towing or hauling as a major requirement. Wish you best of luck with you effort.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

most likely it will be in-spring bags as your hitch is mounted to your frame. a frame/box lift wont do any good unless you are running a 5th wheel hitch.

I use airlifts regularly on my '08 f-350 Superduty for hauling bulk air trailers (12,000lbs) the tongue weight is ~900lbs and barely under the DOT regs for pintle hitches. Mine has dual firestones at the shocks, and the ride is better. levels it about 4.5" but still a mother to haul.
also, will you be running a continuous compressor or just the gas station specials? the compressor is really handy if you work in the cold as you have leaks no matter what but does need to be plumbed and enables air-brake set up as opposed to electro-mag breaks on the trailer.

Some cautions: check fittings regularly when hauling heavy loads as they begin to leak (keep a spray bottle with soap and water). if you're running the pump it up and go style, then make sure you have a heavy duty compressor that plugs in if you start to lose air to refill on the fly, else you can overstress one side and it isn't a pretty picture when your bag goes from the unbalanced weight. (new bag, downtime, requires re-alignment, not to mention almost wiping out half a barn...)

And if you're hauling weight like that with your 1500, definately try to invest in a tranny temp sensor, DON'T rely on the dummy light as there's already a problem.

oh, and recommend hitching up then inflating so you can level it with the load.

hope it helped and good luck

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 07-02-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the input guys! Yes Jamesb0, the Ram 1500 may not be the daddy of towing, but it will meet my needs and I am impressed so far.

Thanks CdnoilRam for the input. I got my Air Lift 1000 installed yesterday, and drove 220 miles with camper in tow today. I have a pressure gauge installed in my dash and I can add or subtract air anytime, which is cool. The manual recommends inflating first, then adding the payload, so that is what I did. The reason for this is to make sure the bladders seat well in the coil springs, and then adding the trailer afterwards prevents severe squatting. Payload is payload, so it still brings the truck down a little, but not nearly as much as before and it is riding level. It looks really good, IMO, even though a 30' travel trailer dwarfs the half-ton Ram. It really makes the truck look like a beast pulling all of that. The airlift kit really stiffens up the suspension, and to me it feels better pulling and the ride is fine since I'm on interstate. Also, I can see my transmission temp at anytime by selecting it in the heads up display on the dash. I went over some major mountains in MT today and it never gets over 1/2 way on the temp gauge. I don't remember the actual degrees.

Now my question is the best way to determine GCWR. My GVW is 6800 and the towing capacity is 8500, so is my GCWR 15,300 lbs? I have read some confusing stuff on determining this value (such as not adding in my driver weight up to 150lbs), but try a search and you simply won't find this value listed anywhere. The Manufacterer's certainly don't list it. I weighed in on the scales today at 13,800 lbs without my wife and kids in the car (225lbs) so I think I am in the ballpark regarding GCWR. Any thoughts?

p.s. I'll send some picks when I get them downloaded. I also got my sweet Leer cover yesterday, all in time for my trip to MN!

Last edited by cptsopiens; 07-04-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Add some information
Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Dead airbag

The Firestone airbags lasted three years, then leaked and had to be replaced. I had to go to the dealer 4 times for them to get the new ones right. I had problems with none filling, then one filling, etc. now they seem to be working great. They said the Firestone ones had problems so they used a new brand, but I don't remember the name. I hope these last a long times as they cost $495. I have heard of others with bags lasting 8 years. I don't think I'll replace them again at that price. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton, unless I can downsize my camper a bit, but even then the 1/2 ton might squat with a heavy tongue weight.