DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Vibration/Shuddering at slow turn

Well, I read through a couple hundred posts and couldn't find a problem like the one I have. Here's mine.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram with about 78000 miles on it. From a stop, when I turn (especially up hill) I feel a vibration/shuddering. I think it's coming from the back end (feels like the tail is wagging). I was pulling about 9,000 lbs. a couple weeks ago and it would do it even worse while under the load. It may have done it when I wasn't turning with the trailer attached, but I don't remember too well. It doesn't do it when I accelerate strait on flat ground with no load. Shifts good, and doesn't do it except from a stop. Only shudders for a second until I am going straight. Any ideas on what this could be?
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like rear end might be having problems. I assume you have the locking differential with the Off Road package. Might check to see if the diff needs rebuilt or replaced.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking the same thing. I bought it used, so it may have been doing it for years, or may be new. If it is the rear end, I'm not sure if I should take it in and get it re-built, or just wait until it starts causing problems. Think it would cost the same to have it rebuilt now as it would to have it rebuilt after it broke. Of course, if I do it now, I could "schedule" it so it is less inconvenient.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
ljonesj is on a distinguished road

it might be the clutches on the limited slip u might get by just changing the rear grease or fluid and make sure it has the right additive for the rear limited slip that might take care of the problem
Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM

That's a good idea JONES. That would be better than letting it break on me. Can I get the fluid and additive at Autozone/Napa, or should I go to the dealer? How do I get the fluid out? I have a crank siphon that I could stick in there to suck it out. I also have a big tractor that I may be able to just pick up the truck and hang it vertical until it drains! I've unloaded my 7x10 trailer when it was full of rock a couple times that way. The neighbors kind look at me weird. There isn't any kind of little filter in there, right?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
jessman02 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I think jonesi hit the nail on the head, just take the rear diff, cover off and let it drain, then use some spray cleaner like brake clean or what ever you have and clean the
diff. the best you can, then use some gasket sealer on the rear cover, button it up and add the gear oil and additive, wash up garb a cold beer take it out for a test run, jessman
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Jessman,
Any special way to re-install the cover. It doesn't leak now, so I worry that it will drip/leak when I take it apart/put it back together. Should I tighten the bolts like installing a wheel? Lightly tighten going from one bolt to the bolt across from it in a star pattern? Just as tight as I can get it with a 1/2" ratchet or do I need a torque wrench?
About the beer, is that during the test run or after? I just want to make sure I get the whole proceedure correct!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
ljonesj is on a distinguished road

actually most rear end grease has the limited slip additive added in just check with the sales person at napa/autozone/advance auto/oriely's and get a repair manual while ur at it to get ur torque specs and it is a good idea to go in the same type pattern as a wheel as it keeps ur diff cover from warping and causing it to leak
Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 PM

I wanted to follow up on this thread for future readers with my problem. I had Jiffy Lube change the front and rear differentials, and the transfer case. (Would have cost me about $75 in fluids from Autozone and they did it for $110.) After the change, I took it to the same hill that it would shudder at. The vibration is gone. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Sounds like the diff oil needs to be serviced . While you have the cover off try to inspect the locking tangs for the most out-board clutches and make sure their not broken . My rams oil was suppose to be serviced I think every 15,000 miles . I thought it was a crock . Well let me tell ya . What a costly venture . The outboard clutch tang was broken along with the remaining clutches . Part of the clutch was hanging out of the hole of the carrier and severely scored the main bearing cap and axle housing . Well running 35's and with my style of driving , I couldn't trust it and opted for another rear . Called Chrysler and they told me they see alot of this due to poor maintenance . I had 50,000 miles on it . I'm shocked that Chrysler would put such a lousy carrier in their vehicles . Won't happen again . It'll get a locker .