DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
mennor28 is on a distinguished road
Angry Engine Loping between 1500 and 2500 rpm

Hi, I have a question I am hoping that someone can answer. I got a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport QuadCab 5.9L/45RFE. It has a constant lope between 1500 and 2800 rpm, it is the worst around 2000 rpm. There is no huge loss in power, but some, and the gas mileage is terrible, maybe 11 mpg on the highway at best. Its not loping at idle, only at driving speeds and it is really noticable when in OD around 2000 rpm going up a grade/hill. I am thinking TPS sensor for some reason. However, I have noticed that under 2500 rpm this thing is gutless lately, (more so than the usual 5.9L is) Could my problem possibly be the torque converter? maybe it is starting to go? I'm not sure the stall speed on it, but its probably around what 2000-2500 rpm? Any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also does anyone know a place i can get a lower stall rpm converter, maybe something like a 1000 to 1500 rpm? Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
DesertDog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DesertDog

boy thats a good question mennor.......my first thought was a vaccum line is frade or cracked or came off the intake. any of this in a vaccum line will cause an engine to surge...but then again so will other parts that hav gone bad.....

then thinking intake i thought of your air intake sensor is it unpluged.....
or maybe it needs cleaned , if dirt builds up on it then it will read wrong and just start dumping fuel or slowing it down, thus causing a surge in engine rpm.
hmmmm.......

im curious tho to wut you find out , keep us posted
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered about the intake sensor myself, great recommendation DesertDog
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Quad 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
ljonesj is on a distinguished road

egr and the idle air control motors can cause certain issues that can be confusing
Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default I'll check on those and let you know

Thanks for the replies, I did change the TPS sensor and the PCV valve this weekend. It did make a improvement in the lope, but, it did not solve the problem completely. The intake sensor does make sense... I think tommarow I am going to remove the throttle body and clean it, check for intake seal leaks and test the egr valve and check for vaccum leaks, and if all that fails... I'll run to the parts store and get a intake sensor and throw that on. Another question however, does anyone know where I can get a lower stall speed torque converter? Dealerships and local parts stores are no help, and i keep getting the "gas mileage will suffer" answer from them... yeah it gets around 12mpg at best anyway, would rather have more lower end torque, only converters I have found so far are stock replacement one with i think a 2500rpm stall speed, my guess from driving it, none of the stores list the stall speed, they just say "high" or "stock" I am also wondering if I do happen to find one, will my truck run correctly with the lower stall speed converter in it? Thanks again for everyones replies... I'll keep you posted
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Fixed it

Wanted to post and let you know that it was the air charge temp sensor in the manifold. Not sure what it was doing exactly, but I changed it and it worked. No more surge, lope. Thanks everyone for the input and advice.