DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default 1/2 way through speaker install

Okay, so I finally got around to installing the Polk Audio db691 6x9s in the front of my 08 RAM 1500.
I had to use both the factory spacers as well as the spacers that came with the new polk speakers as the speaker was too big around to be mounted right on to the sheet metal. Not a problem at all except for the fact that the tweeters in the middle of the speaker push out on the door a little once I remounted the door panel. Not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.

That was relatively easy, however next I am going to install the rear 5 1/2's which Crutchfield indicates requiring re-drilling the mounting holes which I'm a little nervous about for some reason.
The improvement in sound on the front is UNREAL however -- what a HUGE difference! Not quite as much bass as I was hoping for, but a sub will take care of that (eventually).
Now that the speakers sound so much better I have two questions for y'all:

1) I notice now more than ever, the SAT radio sound (I'm on a 12 month free subscription to Sirius) is very, very flat -- there are very few highs or lows, is this typical of SAT radio, or is this the fault of the Factory implementation of it? If I do eventually upgrade the HU, I won't bother adding on SAT radio if this is typical. I'd much rather use my MP3 player and/or radio.

2) I have an Amp ready to install in order to provide a little more power to the speakers, and eventually use the audio out on the Amp to add a second amp to power a sub. I do not have the premium sound system (thankfully). Has anyone ever integrated an Amp with the factory radio? If so, what do you use for the turn-on switch? The vehicle has the "Retain Accessory Power" feature which keeps the power on for 10 minutes or until a door is open - ideally I'd love it if the amp would stay on while the radio was on...

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default Like This

Does a product like this exist for the non-premium sound system?

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I use an empty fuse spot under the hood in the fuse box there. Did it with my 2004 Ram and my 2006 Pacifica. Found one that only comes on when the key is on, and used it. With the 2008 though, you want to find one that stays on when the key is turned off, just like the radio does.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I use an empty fuse spot under the hood in the fuse box there. Did it with my 2004 Ram and my 2006 Pacifica. Found one that only comes on when the key is on, and used it. With the 2008 though, you want to find one that stays on when the key is turned off, just like the radio does.
Do you think that actually exists? I think this is all controlled through the CANBUS interface which is a completely digital system -- I'm sure sure that there will actually be a fuse that will reflect this.
How do you test power across the fuses to figure out which are powered on when?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I just used a test light to check which empty slots had no power with the key off, and then powered on with the key on. Worked as a great Amp turn on wire for my other vehicles. I always run a separate switch to my sub amp anyways, because there are people out there that just aren't a fan of the boom.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I just used a test light to check which empty slots had no power with the key off, and then powered on with the key on. Worked as a great Amp turn on wire for my other vehicles. I always run a separate switch to my sub amp anyways, because there are people out there that just aren't a fan of the boom.
Sounds good, thanks. If I do this it just means that when i turn the ignition off, and the radio is still on until the door is open, the amp will shut off, but the radio will stay on -- not really a big deal, I don't spend much time listening to the radio after I shut off the truck :-)