DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L H
Trim Level: no clue
Color: Black
Rep:13
GunDog1 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for power

Ok So Had a crazy thought run through my mind today. I got a 1500 5.7l H. Its a 2004 and is extended cab. I was wondering if I had the time and money would it be possible to make a manual? And run 4.10 gearin.
If not then what should I do to get that power I want out of the truck and get great low end and pullin power? Maybe destroy some vehicals in power now and then?

Basically I'm getting deployed again and Want to beast out my truck.
Gain in horsepower and torc is BIG plus!
Anyhelp is great. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
08Ram1500 is on a distinguished road

For power, I would go with the DiabloPredator chip, CAI, and exhaust. I personally have a flowmaster exhaust and about to install the K&N 63aircharger. I have read lots of good reviews over the BFI CAI, but it is too expensive for me.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

I def think it would be a waste of money just to make your truck a stick shift...If your looking for whats best out there on the market for the HEMI, you need to be willing to spend the money...For a CAI, i would get the BFI, for an exhaust i would get a MOPAR powered by BORLA exhaust, you could get headers too... and I would prefer getting the Super Chips tuner instead of the diablo because its more for a low profile setup, the diablo will work on low profile setups, but is mainly for SC or turboed engines...Now if you wanna get a SC, thats a different story...But you did say you want to make your truck a BEAST, and a SC will do that...
Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Lot of work to convert over to a manual trans . Lot of headaches . You'll probably regret even starting the conversion . Only way I would even attempt to do it is if you had a donor truck there for all the parts and hardware . Would go with the Diablosport Predator . Great tuner there for the money .Would also look into headers , high flowing cats , good set of mufflers , cold air intake . Could even go with a set of under drive pulleys .
Old 10-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L H
Trim Level: no clue
Rep:13
GunDog1 is on a distinguished road

I already got the flowmasters and k&N. But for some reason it seems I lost some power. What is BFI, and SC?
K so I will throw the manual idea out lol.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM
erm

If you opened up your exhaust a bit, you might have lost some low end torque. No worries. Get a DiabloSport Predator and a 180 degree thermostat.

You can always change the diff gears as well with a 3.73 or 3.91 set for a good increase in torque.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 07 Flame Red QC
Trim Level: Sport-R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:51
raceram9 will become famous soon enough

no dont get the 3.92 gears if you are going to change them go with 4.10 or even better 4.56 and a superchips programmer headers a plus
2007 RAM QC FLAME RED,20s, 3.92 rear Vararam CAI, Cherrybomb vortex mufflers dumped out in front of rear tires, Superchips Cortex, R/T badges on grill and tailgate custom designed stripes and hood vinyl.....and more to come
Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The BFI is the name of the intake from Airflow Inovations
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=40649

And an SC is a supercharger... if you go that route, then be prepared to fork out for new tires... cuz you'll want to roast them everywhere you can!

For more power after the basic 3, CAI, exhaust, and tuner; then for the low end: long tube headers, highflow cats, and an underdrive pulley to reduce the parasitic drag from your accessories; also a higher lobed camshaft will make some big differences.

After that, if you want to tear into the top end you can get ported/polished cylinder heads w/ big valves.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 PM
erm

Superchips is a good system but it's all canned programs, no options for fine tuning, which I use with my 300 SRT8 to set fan on temps, add fuel to reduce a lean condition, getting a CMR dyno tune and a bunch of other options.

I've used Superchips before and liked them but they just aren't as flexible for custom programming as the Predator.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog1 View Post
Ok So Had a crazy thought run through my mind today. I got a 1500 5.7l H. Its a 2004 and is extended cab. I was wondering if I had the time and money would it be possible to make a manual? And run 4.10 gearin.
If not then what should I do to get that power I want out of the truck and get great low end and pullin power? Maybe destroy some vehicals in power now and then?

Basically I'm getting deployed again and Want to beast out my truck.
Gain in horsepower and torc is BIG plus!
Anyhelp is great. Thanks!
Why don't you just throw on a supercharger instead? I wouldn't convert it to a 6-speed unless you're deadset on rowing through each gear. Nitrous offers the best bang for the buck, but if you have lots of money to spend I'd recommend an STS twin turbo. Aftermarket intakes and exhausts help a lot too.