DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
96BlkRam1500 is on a distinguished road
Default alignment problem?

got my alignment done and i still have to pull the steering wheel 30 degrees to the right unless driving in middle of the road lol, but shouldn't have to do that. anyways, everything was tight on the front end, and i even put in tie rod end at the pitman arm with new sleeve, new steering shock, and upper and lower bjs. here is the spec sheet. they said there was one spec they couldn't get perfect, but they said it won't wear the tires. any help?

or go to http://96blkram.webs.com/

to see the specs
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT LARAMIE
Color: Intense Blue Pearl
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:11
ph3nom3non03 is on a distinguished road

how you doing? okay now as far as your alignment theres a number of things that could be going on so ill step by step show you where and what to check. the first thing i would check is if the steering stabilizer shock is reversed .. yes they can be flipped but the way it sounds ( maybe ) next is how is your front tires? because if you have any type of cupping they can pull and what size tires do you have now they say all the front end parts are tight? check your trac bar ( youll prolly have to write all this down and check off as you go) the way you want to check your trac bar is by sitting in your truck in park engine running turn the steering wheel to the left like your gonna make a quarter turn then the same for the right now watch your font end does it look like excessive sway? another way is having someone else putting their hand on the upper most of the joint carefully and feeling if it pops or jumps side to side. next is making sure your brakes are good in the front because if you have a dragging caliper in terms a froze slide bolt or so forth it will cause a drag you can notice by taking off the tires and checking the pad life now on 90% of rams the inner pad will be a little thinner than the outer pad not by allot though .. ok now move onto your gear box is there a fluid leak around the seals? cause if its OE id say to replace it with a new one only because of the age and wear and tear best way to check is sitting inside of your truck does not have to be running but the key needs to be on so that the steering wheel does not lock now go side to side is there allot of play? it should have very little and should not be real tight but 9 out 10 if it does have allot of slack replace the gear box okay next with the specs you gave me is your right side is sitting higer on specs than your left in terms causing you that sligt drift jumping back, i said all these things because if any of these things have slack your steering will suffer.. okay now as far as this alignment shop yes they are within spec but they could have done better but what i always tell people watch them do it even if it takes them an hour or longer it lets you trust them and learn something in return now i say this because i have noticed allot of shops technician will rush a job then recaster the vehicle to make sure everything is in and will be out very little then they will go slap the heads of the alignment sensors to make them appear in spec but going back to the front end if they were having problems getting your caster camber withn spec then should have either offered to sell you bolt that goes through the lower control arm that allows you to bring the specs right on the money but thats if the bolt is rusted tight and not gonna budge now the lower ball joint is adjustable if theyve been replaced with the adjustable ball joint but i would take it back after you kinda get an idea of what you have going on so you further know what your dealing with and if you do watch them do an alignment be sure to watch to see if they recenter the steering wheel 3x or more thats the proper way to get the steering on chrsyler products because they are a pain in the ass to align believe me i know lol but all this is for a 4x4 that im assuming you have if not let me know ill help you with that also i know its allot to read but just go through it and check off whats been looked over and just be careful to not kill yourself doing it another thing i forgot to say is make sure all your air pressure is good cause it will cause a pull also and i want to know the size of your tires but get back to me

Last edited by ph3nom3non03; 08-12-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Rotate the tires on your front from left to right . So in other words put your l/f tire on your r/f and your r/f on your l/f . Drive it and see if it doesn't pull the other way now . If it does you have a radial tire pull . Your print out looks fine . The couple of tenths of a degree difference that you have (cross camber , cross caster ) are fine . I ran across this alot and would move the tires to verify the problem then would just end up rotating them to the back .
Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
96BlkRam1500 is on a distinguished road

so should i get different tires then if it does pull the other way?