DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
rcrum is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Problem

I'm having a weird problem with my 2002 Ram 1500 A/C.
The driver side vents are ice cold, the passenger side vents are equivalent to outside air temp.
I've recently bought this truck used, so I'm trying to diagnose all the problems.

In looking at the blower motor connection under the dash, they seem to have clipped a green wire that goes into the blower mower, and it looks like they added a new green wire that runs up under the ignition.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '95 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Scratchy Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
dodgenfrank is on a distinguished road

Have you noticed if air comes out defrost cents or floor. With mine i have vac. issue when i get up on the throttle it goes from dash vent to defrost and back when let off. Not an a/c man but might help track down.Good Luck..
Old 08-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Uncle Jerry is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my 05 Ram 2500, cold air on driver side vents, only cool air on passenger side vents. I just bought the truck used with 61000 miles on it. Otherwise I love the truck so far. No problem with the air not coming out of the proper vents, just different temp air (not cold enough) on passenger side.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Uncle Jerry; 08-24-2010 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 DODGE 2500 5.9 CUMMINS
Trim Level: ST
Color: LIGHT ALMOND
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Anthony C is on a distinguished road

Your system is low on freon. What's happening is the freon is boiling too fast because there's not enough in the system. The evaporator is not flooded. Put your AC on, open the hood and look at the small pipe coming from the firewall just to the left of the heater hoses. One line will be frosted, it's not suppose to frost up, it's supposed to sweat. The ice you see there is the same thing that's goin on inside the evaporator and that ice will not let the air by to flow to the passenger side. Mine did the same exact thing, I put my gauges on it, and it was almost in a vacum. So I added one pound of freon, and it's been fine ever since.

Anthony C
Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgenfrank View Post
Have you noticed if air comes out defrost cents or floor. With mine i have vac. issue when i get up on the throttle it goes from dash vent to defrost and back when let off. Not an a/c man but might help track down.Good Luck..
You either have a vacuum leak or a bad check valve.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrum View Post
I'm having a weird problem with my 2002 Ram 1500 A/C.
The driver side vents are ice cold, the passenger side vents are equivalent to outside air temp.
I've recently bought this truck used, so I'm trying to diagnose all the problems.

In looking at the blower motor connection under the dash, they seem to have clipped a green wire that goes into the blower mower, and it looks like they added a new green wire that runs up under the ignition.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance.
You most likely have a blend door broken.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Don't forget to stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself .
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
DodgieDan is on a distinguished road

Freon Smeon, nothing to do with the gas level in the A/C. There is an inhairent Dodge problem that Dodge techs have known about forever with the Doors that open and close inside the heater and how they are activated. I had the same problem went to a Dealer and they had to change 2 of these doors and the actuaters to repair the problem. Be careful however they did not get it right the first time and had to take it back because the Recycle mode would not work after the first repair.

Dodge knows about this problem with the A/C in its trucks but will not issue a recall because according to them it does not present a safety problem. Well dying of heat exhaustion to me sounds like a safety problem. However Dodge/Chrysler does not see it that way and possibly the only way to get their attention would be a class action suit. Just a note I am not advocating a suit just that it is a possible remedy. I paid to have mine fixed.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...my dads truck just did this. You can hear the fan running, and cold air sort of comes out...so, I pulled the glove box, and, come to find out, the door that directs the a/c - heat, apparently broke and fell down right over the fan, making it so the fan hardly moved any air, but, if I reached in the and picked the door up, the air blew cold out the vents...and, I know the door broke because I can feel where the hinges used to be round around a rod of some sort.

It is a pretty crappy design...not sure why Chrysler failed so miserably on interior components, but excelled so much on exterior/engine components...kinda weird...lol

And, the newer trucks don't have vacuum operated doors like the 01 and older trucks do. Everything on the newer ones is electronic.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH