DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1989 Holden Astra
Color: White
Rep:25
SilverFire is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 4.7 Questions

Okay, be warned, I am an utter noob when it comes to dodge truck engines. My main experience is working on my old race cars, etc etc.

First thing, how intensive would it be to convert my 2WD to 4WD? Does that require a whole transmission swap out, or simply replacing the front end parts and putting in the 4WD system? (I know a LOT of parts in the front end will have to be changed, I'm currently researching specs as much as I can)

DOHC conversions...do they exist? If so, what gains/losses are seen by swapping over?

Tuner kits, what ones have you all used, and what kind of reliability do you get from them? Are they worth it early on to save fuel and maximize power when I need, or should I wait till I get it to a mild build?

Last one. The exhaust on my truck has a very deep and noticible growl, which is great, but that would be an aftermarket, wouldn't it? (You can hear the exhaust with the windows up and the radio kept down some)

I really couldn't find anywhere better to put all this, sorry if I messed up!
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

The stock 4.7 comes with a pretty aggressive exhaust note from Dodge. I would recommend cams, headers, '08 intake, and looking at the Hypertech tuner.

Changing 2wd to 4wd is really not a worthwhile swap to the average person. By the time you fabricate everything needed, you may as well just sell the 2wd and get a 4wd.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Eh, I have access to a shop where I can cut and weld to my heart's content, and I like a challenge.

(I also got the truck from Car-Mart, don't have the credit to get one from a conventional dealer...that means I'm sitting with this one for some time.)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 06 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:37
ram06bighorn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
The stock 4.7 comes with a pretty aggressive exhaust note from Dodge. I would recommend cams, headers, '08 intake, and looking at the Hypertech tuner.

Changing 2wd to 4wd is really not a worthwhile swap to the average person. By the time you fabricate everything needed, you may as well just sell the 2wd and get a 4wd.
What will the '08 intake do? just woundering I have a 06 and if it will make a big difference it might be something to look into
Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Here's what I'm looking at for right now:

New heads. I want to convert the 4.7l to DOHC, with a more pronounced cam profile.

Exhaust headers. Definately a must with the higher performance heads.

Supercharger. Don't need a reason for THAT.

CIA. I'm thinking a custom dual cone CIA system, with a switchofff to go to a breather stack in case of high water (which we get a lot here in Texarkana)

Overall...a rather large chunk of cash, but broken down into several smaller mods, manageable.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
erm

Yeah, I think you've got the right idea. Let it breathe, upgrade the cam and heads. Changing the intake would be important if you go with a more radical cam and open up the heads a bit.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Don't know of any aftermarket DOHC cylinder heads available . To convert to 4wd would be crazy . The expense would blow you out of the water . Best bet is a tuner and a set of headers . That will wake the monster up .
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Don't know of any aftermarket DOHC cylinder heads available . To convert to 4wd would be crazy . The expense would blow you out of the water . Best bet is a tuner and a set of headers . That will wake the monster up .
If there's not any available, I know a few shops that can take a set of SOHC heads, and design new DOHC heads, using my truck as the test platform.

Cool thing is, if I can get some noticible interest in the DOHC conversions, I get either a discount, or the heads free, depending on how well they sell.

Bad thing, they're in Cali, and I'm in Texas.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Well that would be awesome if you could have something designed up special for your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram06bighorn View Post
What will the '08 intake do? just woundering I have a 06 and if it will make a big difference it might be something to look into
I have heard the 08 intake flows much better than previous models, making more HP.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Well that would be awesome if you could have something designed up special for your truck.

I have heard the 08 intake flows much better than previous models, making more HP.
Yes, it would be awesome, though costly.

One company I know, instead of making cast heads, which is the norm, they take a solid block of forged steel (or titanium), and laser cut the new heads out of it. You get one piece construction from forged metals, which yields a head capable of withstanding multiple times more pressure.

As for the intake, it would be cheaper to make a dual intake and mate it with some K&N air filters. Would also yield a MUCH higher air flow potential than any stock exhaust could come close to.

The one thing is, I'll have to get the supercharger first, see what kind of throttle body system I will be working with, and plan my fabrications to match.

Now, if anyone has one of the superchargers designed for the 4.7L, and could get me the measurements, I would greatly appreciate it.