DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough
Default Prev. Mait........

Taking a proactive approach to try and combat some of the head gasket and transmission issues I hear about these trucks. If any of you would be so kind as to tell me if I am on the right track with some of this info I have collected and help out with some that I am not able to find on the net.
The truck:
2002 Dodge Ram 1500.
4.7 liter, auto tranny, 2wd.
I assume I do not have the Dana 60?

I have collected that the cooling system capacity is 5.5 quarts. Is this correct? What kind of antifreeze would I require? I will be using the premixed kind so I dont have to worry about procuring distilled water and what not. Also will change the thermostat. Any special procedures or tips for this? I have only flushed on cooling system before but that required running vehicle and refilling while hot. All the aluminum in this engine has got me nervous.

The trans capacity is also 5.5 quarts? When I do this I will change the filter as well and switch to ATF+4. Any problems with the fluid that will be left in the torque converter and the new ATF+4? This is something that will take place in the next couple months.

The diff., which I assume is not the Dana 60 because it is not 4wd will take under 3 quarts of gear oil. I am planning on pumping old stuff out with a lower gear unit pump and putting it back in the same way unless gasket is leaking. I also am going with synthetic 75w90. Is this the correct weight? I know it has to be GL-5. I will also need a LSD additive? Where would I get this additive?

I have already changed the oil to a 5w30 syn blend and Mopar filter. The PCV valve and air filter will be changed in the next day or so.

Thanks for any help, advice, or ideas. Am I on the right track or missing the boat? Also, can someone tell me where to download an online copy of the owners manual for this truck? I have the original book but the pages are all seperated and mixed up. A free download would be perfect Thanks again.

BTW, I have nicknamed my truck the "Gray Goat", because it is gray and my little girl was looking at the steering wheel and pointed out that there was a "goat" looking back at her LOL.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Your best bet is to check your owners manual on your fluid specs and capacities . Synthetics are the best way to go . I agree you don't have a Dana 60 . Thermostat is up in the air . If your going to reprogram the computer (Diablosport ) most programmers recommend a cooler thermostat . You''ll have to make that choice .
Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

I'm getting ready to switch to Amsoil. Kind of expensive, but I've not heard anything negative from anyone about it. It was recommended to switch all the fluids. You'll have to check the specs on the diff. Drop $20 on a Haynes manual or a Chiltons, that will give you all the specs and directions on how to do your own maintenance. Also a great resource for DIY diagnostics and repair.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Cooling System
- 15.4 L (16.2 qts.) Includes 0.9L (1.0 qts.) for coolant reservoir.
- Anit Freeze is only needed in freezing conditions while Coolant is needed for hotter conditions.
- Use a 195* Tstat. I personally use a 180* to get my coolant flowing sooner and keep my motor running cooler.
- Refer to the vehicle’s coolant bottle to identify HOAT or Non-HOAT coolant. Non-HOAT coolant is green in color.

Transmission
- Service Fill 46RE 3.8 L (4.0 qts.)
-O-haul - 46RE 9-9.5L (19-20 pts.) L
- Service Fill - 45RFE/545RFE
~~~~ 4X2 - 5.2 L (11.0 pts.)
~~~~ 4X4 - 6.2 L (13.0 pts.)
-O-haul - 45RFE/545RFE 14-16 L (29-33 pts.) L
-ATF +4, Automatic Transmission Fluid is the recommended fluid.

Rear Differential- Chrysler 9.25 Rear End
- 2.32 L (4.9 pts.). With Trac-Lok add 118 ml (4 oz.) of Limited Slip Additive.
- Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140

Motor Oil
- 5.6 L (6.0 qts.)
Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

Thanks Deuce. I was at the shop earlier and looked at the coolant, didnt know about the marking on the bottle but the fluid looked sort of pinkish.